Skip to main content

Driving and Watching TV

Driving in the UK

Before you can drive a motor vehicle in the UK, you must:

  • be licensed to drive
  • have valid car insurance cover
  • have paid UK road tax on your vehicle
  • register the car if you are in the UK for six months or more

For information on whether or not your licence is valid in the UK, visit the UK government websiteThe Highway Code is essential reading and contains full details of all UK driving regulations.

TV Licence

If you watch or record TV as it is being broadcast (including on computers and mobile devices), you must buy a TV licence. For details on how to pay, visit the TV licensing website.

Telephone, Internet, Digital TV and Mobile Phones

The following are popular service providers:

  • Virgin Media (mobile, internet, digital TV, telephone)
  • EE (mobile, internet)
  • O2 (mobile, internet)
  • Vodafone (mobile, internet)
  • BT (mobile, internet, digital TV, telephone)
  • Three (mobile, internet)
  • Plusnet (mobile, internet, digital TV)
  • TalkTalk (mobile, internet, digital TV)

For details on how to use your current mobile phone in the UK, please contact your current provider.

To compare deals, you may want to visit a website such as Money SupermarketCompare the Market or Go Compare. It may take up to two weeks until your telephone line and internet connection is ready for you to use.

Athena Swan Bronze Award LogoDisability Confident Employer LogoArmed Forces Covenant LogoRace Equality Charter Logo