Skip to main content

Visas and Immigration (UKVI)

From 1st January 2021, the UK implemented a new points-based immigration system that treats EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA citizens equally, prioritising individuals' skills and talent over where a person comes from.

If you do not already live in the UK or have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, you, as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, will need to meet specific requirements in order to study or work in the UK. You will also need to pass relevant checks, including UK criminality checks.

EU citizens already living in the UK

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you and your family may have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If you have obtained pre-settled or settled status you will not be required to apply for a visa under the new points-based immigration system.

Use the links below to help you find the most appropriate information for you.

Apply to work in the UK

Information if you are not automatically entitled to live and work in the UK, including temporary workers and visitors to the university.

Eligibility to work in the UK

Information regarding initial and annual eligibility checks including the documents that are accepted for eligibility checks.

Your responsibilities

Guidance for new staff detailing their responsibilities as a Visa Holder.

Fees and costs to consider

Costs associated with visas

English language requirements guidance

To be granted a Skilled Worker Visa, you must meet the English language requirement.

Athena Swan Bronze Award LogoDisability Confident Employer LogoArmed Forces Covenant LogoRace Equality Charter Logo