|Professor in Economics and Finance in the Business School||MHL 141||+44 (0) 191 33 45528|
Damian Damianov is a Professor of Economics and Finance, the PhD Lead for Finance, and the Director of the MSc Finance programme. He earned his PhD from the University of Heidelberg in 2006. Prior to joining Durham University in 2013 he was an Associate Professor at the University of Texas - Pan American (UTPA was consolidated to form UTRGV).
His current research is in real estate and household finance. He has published on topics such as the dynamics of house prices and the emergence and collapse of house price bubbles. He also currently works on issues such as housing affordability policy evaluation, home ownership, and household wealth management.
He is currently teaching Real Estate Finance for undergraduate students and Global Financial Institutions and Markets for DBA students. In previous years he also taught Advanced Financial Theory, and Derivative Markets on the MSc Finance programme.
- Financial Economics
- Real Estate Finance
- Household Finance
- Microeconomic Theory
- Damianov, Damian S. & Escobari, Diego (2021). Getting on and Moving Up the Property Ladder: Real hedging in the U.S. Housing Market Before and After the Crisis. Real Estate Economics 49(4): 1201-1237.
- Damianov, Damian S., Wang, Xiangdong & Yan, Cheng (2021). Google search queries, foreclosures, and house prices. The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 63(2): 177-209.
- Chowdhury, M., Damianov, D. S. & Elsayed, A. H. (2021). Bubbles and Crashes in Cryptocurrencies: Interdependence, Contagion, or Asset Rotation? Finance Research Letters 102494.
- Carpenter, J., Damianov, D. S. & Matthews, P. H. (2021). Auctions for Charity: The Curse of the Familiar. International Economic Review
- Damianov, Damian S. & Elsayed, Ahmed H. (2020). Does Bitcoin add value to global industry portfolios? Economics Letters 191: 108935.
- Damianov, D.S., Sanders, S. & Yildizparlak, A. (2018). Asymmetric Endogenous Prize Contests. Theory and Decision 85(3-4): 435-453.
- Damianova, E. & Damianov, D.S. (2018). Teaching Futures Markets with the “ZIP Code” Trading Game. Journal of Financial Education 44(1): 79-99.
- Damianov, D.S. & Peeters, R. (2018). Prize-Based Mechanisms for Fund-Raising: Theory and Experiments. Economic Inquiry 56(3): 1562-1584.
- Damianov, D.S. & Elsayed, A.H. (2018). On the Transmission of Spillover Risks between the Housing Market, the Mortgage and Equity REITs markets, and the Stock Market. Finance Research Letters 27: 193-200.
- Damianov, D.S. & Peeters, R. (2017). On the Disclosure of Ticket Sales in Charitable Lotteries. Economics Letters 150: 73-76.
- Damianov, D.S. & Escobari, D. (2016). Long-Run Equilibrium Shift and Short-Run Dynamics of U.S. Home Price Tiers during the Housing Bubble. Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics 53(1): 1-28.
- Damianov, D.S. (2015). Should Lotteries Offer Discounts on Multiple Tickets? Economics Letters 126: 84-86.
- Escobari, D., Damianov, D.S. & Bello, A. (2015). A Time Series Test to Identify Housing Bubbles. Journal of Economics and Finance 39(1): 136-152.
- Damianov, D.S. & Pagan, J.A. (2013). Health Insurance Coverage, Income Distribution and Healthcare Quality in Local Healthcare Markets. Health Economics 22(8): 987-1002.
- Damianov, D.S. (2012). Seller Competition by Mechanism Design. Economic Theory 51(1): 105-137.
- Damianov, D.S. & Sanders, S. (2012). Why Don't You Two Get a Room? A Puzzle and Pricing Model of Extra Services in Hotels. Journal of Industrial Organization Education 6(1): 1035.
- Damianov, D.S. (2011). A Classroom Experiment on Status Goods and Consumer Choice. Journal of Economics and Finance Education 10(1): 1-13.
- Calafiore, P. & Damianov, D.S. (2011). The Effect of Time Spent Online on Student Achievement in Economics and Finance Online Courses. Journal of Economic Education 42(3): 209-223.
- Damianov, D.S. & Sanders, S. (2011). Status Spending Races, Cooperative Consumption, and Voluntary Public Income Disclosure: A Classroom Experiment. International Review of Economic Education 10(1): 29-53
- Damianov, D.S. & Becker, J.G. (2010). Auctions with Variable Supply: Uniform Price versus Discriminatory. European Economic Review 54(4): 571-593
- Damianov, D.S., Oechssler, J. & Becker, J.G. (2010). Uniform vs. Discriminatory Auctions with Variable Supply—Experimental Evidence. Games and Economic Behavior 68(1): 60-76.
- Damianov, D.S., Kupczynski, L., Calafiore, P., Damianova, E.P., Soydemir, G. & Gonzalez, E. (2009). Time Spent Online and Student Performance in Online Business Courses: A Multinomial Logit Analysis. Journal of Economics and Finance Education 8(2): 11-22.
- Damianov, D.S. (2008). The Uniform Price and the Discriminatory Auction with Variable Supply. Applied Economics Research Bulletin Special Issue I (Auctions): 89-98
- Becker, J.G. & Damianov, D.S (2006). On the Existence of Symmetric Mixed Strategy Equilibria. Economics Letters 90(1): 84-87
- Damianov, D.S. (2005). The Uniform Price Auction with Endogenous Supply. Economics Letters 88(2): 152-158.