Dr Tessa Young
|Research Fellow in the Department of Biosciences||CG204||+44 (0) 191 33 42143|
Tessa Young obtained her PhD in bioinorganic chemistry from the University of Melbourne (2017) working with Prof. Tony Wedd and Dr Zhiguang Xiao, focussing on the quantification of metal-protein affinities. She developed new spectroscopic probes to study copper-binding interactions and employed these to characterise the copper chemistry of the amyloid precursor protein (APP), an important biomolecule in Alzheimer's disease.
Tessa joined Durham University in 2018 as a Junior Research Fellow (COFUND), working at the interface of chemistry and biology to investigate how cobalt is supplied for vitamin B12. In 2019, she was awarded a Research Fellowship from the Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851 to continue her work in the fascinating field of 'metals in biology'.
- Cell biology of metals
- Spectroscopic probes
- Vitamin B12
- Young, Tessa R., Deery, Evelyne, Foster, Andrew W., Martini, Maria Alessandra, Osman, Deenah, Warren, Martin J. & Robinson, Nigel J. (2023). Two Distinct Thermodynamic Gradients for Cellular Metalation of Vitamin B12. JACS Au
- Foster, Andrew W., Young, Tessa R., Chivers, Peter T. & Robinson, Nigel J. (2022). Protein metalation in biology. Current Opinion in Chemical Biology 66: 102095.
- Foster, Andrew W, Clough, Sophie E, Aki, Zeynep, Young, Tessa R, Clarke, Alison R & Robinson, Nigel J (2022). Metalation calculators for E. coli strain JM109 (DE3): Aerobic, anaerobic and hydrogen peroxide exposed cells cultured in LB media. Metallomics 14(9).
- Paterson, Joy R., Beecroft, Marikka S., Mulla, Raminder S., Osman, Deenah, Reeder, Nancy L., Caserta, Justin A., Young, Tessa R., Pettigrew, Charles A., Davies, Gareth E., Williams, J.A. Gareth & Sharples, Gary J. (2022). Insights into the antibacterial mechanism of action of chelating agents by selective deprivation of iron, manganese and zinc. Applied and Environmental Microbiology
- Bhamidimarri, Satya Prathyusha, Young, Tessa R., Shanmugam, Muralidharan, Soderholm, Sandra, Baslé, Arnaud, Bumann, Dirk & van den Berg, Bert (2021). Acquisition of ionic copper by the bacterial outer membrane protein OprC through a novel binding site. PLOS Biology 19(11): e3001446.
- Young, Tessa R. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2021). Principles and practice of determining metal–protein affinities. Biochemical Journal 478(5): 1085-1116.
- Young, TR Martini, MA Foster, AW Glasfeld, A, Osman, D, Morton, RJ Deery, E Warren, MJ & Robinson, NJ (2021). Calculating metalation in cells reveals CobW acquires Co(II) for vitamin B12 biosynthesis while related proteins prefer Zn(II). Nature Communications 12: 1195.
- Osman, D, Cooke, A, Young, TR, Deery, E, Robinson, NJ & Warren, MJ (2021). The requirement for cobalt in vitamin B12: A paradigm for protein metalation. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta - Molecular Cell Research 1868(1).
- Young, Tessa R., Pukala, Tara L., Cappai, Roberto, Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2018). The Human Amyloid Precursor Protein Binds Copper Ions Dominated by a Picomolar Affinity Site in the Helix-Rich E2 Domain. Biochemistry 57(28): 4165-4176.
- Young, Tessa R., Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2018). Evaluation of Cu(I) binding to the E2 domain of the amyloid precursor protein – a lesson in quantification of metal binding to proteins via ligand competition. Metallomics 10(1): 108-119.
- Yako, Nineveh, Young, Tessa R., Cottam Jones, Jade M., Hutton, Craig A., Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2017). Copper binding and redox chemistry of the Aβ16 peptide and its variants: insights into determinants of copper-dependent reactivity. Metallomics 9(3): 278-291.
- Wijekoon, Chathuri J. K., Young, Tessa R., Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2015). CopC Protein from Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 Features a Conserved Novel High-Affinity Cu(II) Binding Site. Inorganic Chemistry 54(6): 2950-2959.
- Young, Tessa R., Wijekoon, Chathuri J. K., Spyrou, Benjamin, Donnelly, Paul S., Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2015). A set of robust fluorescent peptide probes for quantification of Cu(II) binding affinities in the micromolar to femtomolar range. Metallomics 7(3): 567-578.
- Young, Tessa R., Kirchner, Angie, Wedd, Anthony G. & Xiao, Zhiguang (2014). An integrated study of the affinities of the Aβ16 peptide for Cu(I) and Cu(II): implications for the catalytic production of reactive oxygen species. Metallomics 6(3): 505-517.
- Leong, Su Ling, Young, Tessa R., Barnham, Kevin J., Wedd, Anthony G., Hinds, Mark G., Xiao, Zhiguang & Cappai, Roberto (2014). Quantification of copper binding to amyloid precursor protein domain 2 and its Caenorhabditis elegans ortholog. Implications for biological function. Metallomics 6(1): 105-116.