Skip to main content

 Studying English for between 6 and 11 months 

A globe in a girl's hand

If you're coming to Study English at Durham on a course that is between 6 and 11 months you should apply for a Short-Term Study visa up to 3 months before you travel, unless your nationality allows you to enter the UK without a visa (Non-visa national). Check the UKVI website to see if you need a visa before you travel.

If you don't need a visa you must still meet the requirements (see below) and be able to provide the required evidence on entry to the UK if you are asked.

The Short-Term Study route is an alternative to the Student route and is not part of the Points Based System (PBS).


Please note that while you are in the UK under the Short-Term Study route the following restrictions will apply: 

  • You can't work
  • You can't extend your stay
  • You can't apply for another visa
  • You'll be required to leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your course (and before your visa/permission expires)

Evidence required

You must provide the evidence listed on the UKVI website, including:

  • A 'Short-term study letter' from your academic department giving details about your study, the University and when you are required to attend. You should request the letter from your department well in advance of your visa application or travel to the UK.

Government-sponsored students

If you receive sponsorship from your government and they require you to apply for a student visa, it may be possible to issue a CAS in some circumstances.

Flags on poles

Durham University makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.