|Associate Professor in Economics in the Business School||MHL 379||+44 (0) 191 33 45501|
John joined Durham University Business School in September 2013. Prior to joining Durham University, he worked as a lecturer at Swansea University, as a postdoctoral research assistant for the Spatial Economics Research Centre at the University of Glasgow and as a research assistant on the Impact of Higher Education Institutions on Regional Economies initiative at the University of Strathclyde. His main research interests are in policy evaluation, productivity analysis, spatial economics and labour economics.
- policy evaluation
- productivity analysis
- spatial economics
- labour economics
- Harris, R, Krenz, A & Moffat, J (2021). The Effects of Absorptive Capacity on Innovation Performance: A Cross-Country Perspective. Journal of Common Market Studies 59(3): 589-607.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J. (2021). The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the level and distribution of intangibles investment in the UK. Applied Economics Letters
- Moffat, J. & Yoo, H.I (2020). Religion, Religiosity and Educational Attainment: Evidence from the Compulsory Education System in England. Applied Economics 52(4): 430-442.
- Moffat, J. (2020). The Impact of Participation in pan-European Competition on Domestic Performance in Association Football. European Sport Management Quarterly 20(4): 440-457.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J. (2020). The Impact of Product Subsidies on Plant-level Total Factor Productivity in Britain, 1997-2014. Scottish Journal of Political Economy 67(4): 387-403.
- Harris, R Moffat, J, Evenhuis, E, Martin, R Pike, A & Peter Sunley (2019). Does Spatial Proximity Raise Firm Productivity? Evidence from British Manufacturing. Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society 12(3): 467-487.
- Harris, R & Moffat, J. (2019). The Decline of British Manufacturing, 1973 - 2012: The role of total factor productivity. National Institute Economic Review 247(1): R19-R31.
- Moffat, J. & Roth, D. (2017). Cohort size and youth labour-market outcomes in Europe. Economics Bulletin 37(4): 2735-2740.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J. (2017). The UK productivity puzzle, 2008–2012: evidence using plant-level estimates of total factor productivity. Oxford Economic Papers 69(3): 529-549.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J. (2017). The Sources of The Scotland-Rest Of The UK Productivity Gap: Implications For Policy. Regional Studies 51(9): 1297-1311.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J. (2016). Plant Closure in Britain since the Great Recession. Economics Letters 140: 27-30.
- Moffat, J. & Roth, D. (2016). The cohort size-wage relationship in Europe. LABOUR: Review of Labour Economics and Industrial Relations 30(4): 415-432.
- Moffat, J. & Robinson, C. (2015). Virtual Learning Environments: Linking Participation to Evaluation. International Review of Economics Education 19: 22-35.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J. (2015). The Impact of Exporting and Importing Goods and Services on Productivity in the UK. The World Economy 38(11): 1781-1794.
- Moffat, J. (2015). Regional Selective Assistance in Scotland: Does It Make a Difference to Plant Survival? Regional Studies 49(4): 568-581.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J. (2015). Plant-level Determinants of Total Factor Productivity in Great Britain, 1997-2008. Journal of Productivity Analysis 44(1): 1-20.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J. (2015). Total factor productivity growth in Local Enterprise Partnership regions in Britain, 1997-2008. Regional Studies 49(6): 1019-1041.
- Moffat, J. & Yoo, H. I. (2015). Who are the unemployed? Evidence from the United Kingdom. Economics Letters 132: 61-64.
- Moffat, J. (2014). Regional Selective Assistance in Scotland: Does it Make a Difference to Plant Productivity? Urban Studies 51(12): 2555-2571.
- Allan, G.J. & Moffat, J. (2014). Muscle drain versus brain gain in association football: technology transfer through player emigration and manager immigration. Applied Economics Letters 21(7): 490-493.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J. (2013). Intangible Assets, Absorbing Knowledge and its Impact on Firm Performance: Theory, Measurement and Policy Implications. Contemporary Social Science 8(3): 346-361.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J. (2013). The Direct Contribution of FDI to Productivity Growth in Britain, 1997-2008. The World Economy 36(6): 713-736.
- Harris, R., Li, Q.C. & Moffat, J. (2013). The impact of higher education institution-firm knowledge links on establishment-level productivity in British regions. Manchester School 81(2): 143-162.
- Harris, R. & Moffat, J (2012). Is productivity higher in British cities? Journal of Regional Science 52(5): 762-786.
- Harris, R., Li, Q.C. & Moffat, J. (2011). The impact of higher education institution-firm knowledge links on firm-level productivity in Britain. Applied Economics Letters 18(13-15): 1243-1246.
- Harris, R., Moffat, J. & Kravtsova, V. (2011). In search of ‘W’. Spatial Economic Analysis 6(3): 249-270.