|Associate Professor (Teaching) in Economics in the Business School||MHL 344||+44 (0) 191 33 47188|
|Member of the Institute for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies|
Ahmed Elsayed is an Associate Professor in Economics and Finance at Durham University Business School. He is a core member of the Ethical Finance, Accountability and Governance (EEFAG) centre, a Research Fellow of the SDGs Network, the Economic Research Forum, and the Institute for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies among other institutions. Furthermore, he is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and an Associate Editor of Heliyon Business and Economics journal.
His current research focuses on, but is not limited to, FinTech and Cryptocurrency, Sustainable Finance and Financial Development, Financial Market Integration, Financial Network, and Islamic Banking and Finance. I am also interested in the following research areas Financial Integration, Contagion and Risk Transmission, Financial Econometrics, and Emerging Economies.
In terms of publication, he published many research papers in prestigious Economics and Finance journals such as Economics Letters, International Review of Financial Analysis, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Energy Economics, Annals of Operation Research, International Journal of Finance and Economics, Finance Research Letters, and Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, among others.
- Return and volatility transmission in financial markets
- Economic determinants of volatility spillovers
- Middle East economies and Emerging fianacial markets
- Analysis of cointegrating systems and econometric modelling of regime-switching and asymmetry
- Contagion and financial crises
- Financial Development and Regulations
- Monetary and financial economics
- Banking and Islamic Finance
- Sohag, Kazi, Hammoudeh, Shawkat, Elsayed, Ahmed, Mariev, Oleg & Safonova, Yulia (2022). Do Geopolitical Events Transmit Opportunity or Threat to Green Markets? Decomposed Measures of Geopolitical Risks. Energy Economics 111: 106068.
- Elsayed, Ahmed H., Naifar, Nader & Nasreen, Samia (2022). Financial Stability and Monetary Policy Reaction: Evidence from the GCC Countries. The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance
- Elsayed, Ahmed H., Gozgor, Giray & Yarovaya, Larisa (2022). Volatility and Return Connectedness of Cryptocurrency, Gold, and Uncertainty: Evidence from the Cryptocurrency Uncertainty Indices. Finance Research Letters 102732.
- Elsayed, A. H., Gozgor, G. & Lau, C. (2022). Risk Transmissions between Bitcoin and Traditional Financial Assets during the COVID-19 Era: The Role of Global Uncertainties . International Review of Financial Analysis 81: 102069.
- Elsayed, A. H., Naifar, N., Saudi Arabia, R. & Tiwari, A. K. (2022). Dependence structure and dynamic connectedness between green bonds and financial markets: fresh insights from time-frequency analysis before and during COVID-19 pandemic. Energy Economics 107: 105842.
- Elsayed, Ahmed H. & Sousa, Ricardo M. (2022). International Monetary Policy and Cryptocurrency Markets: Dynamic and Spillover Effects. European Journal of Finance
- Chowdhury, M., Damianov, D. S. & Elsayed, A. H. (Published). Bubbles and Crashes in Cryptocurrencies: Interdependence, Contagion, or Asset Rotation? Finance Research Letters 46(Part B): 102494.
- Elsayed, A. H., Hammoudeh, S & Sousa, R. M. (2021). Inflation synchronization among the G7 and China: The important role of oil inflation. Energy Economics 100: 105332.
- Elsayed, A. H. & Helmi, M. H. (2021). Volatility transmission and spillover dynamics across financial markets: The role of geopolitical risk. Annals of Operations Research 305: 1-22.
- Belaid, F., Elsayed, A. & Omri, A. (2021). Key drivers of renewable energy deployment in the MENA Region: Empirical evidence using panel quantile regression. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics 57: 225-238.
- Yarovaya, Larisa, Elsayed, Ahmed H. & Hammoudeh, Shawkat (2021). Determinants of Spillovers between Islamic and Conventional Financial Markets: Exploring the Safe Haven Assets during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Finance Research Letters 43: 101979.
- Elsayed, A.H, Gozgor, G. & Marco Lau, C.K (2022). Causality and Dynamic Spillovers among Cryptocurrencies and Currency Markets. International Journal of Finance and Economics 27(2): 2026-2040.
- Elsayed, A.H., Nasreen, S. & Tiwari, A.K. (2020). Time-varying co-movements between energy market and global financial markets: Implication for portfolio diversification and hedging strategies. Energy Economics 90: 104847.
- Damianov, Damian S. & Elsayed, Ahmed H. (2020). Does Bitcoin add value to global industry portfolios? Economics Letters 191: 108935.
- Elsayed, Ahmed H. & Yarovaya, Larisa (2019). Financial Stress Dynamics in the MENA Region: Evidence from the Arab Spring. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money 62: 20-34.
- Ahmed, H. & Elsayed, A. (2019). Are Islamic and Conventional Capital Markets Decoupled? Evidence from Stock and Bonds/Sukuk Markets in Malaysia. Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance 74: 56-66.
- Damianov, D.S. & Elsayed, A.H. (2018). On the Transmission of Spillover Risks between the Housing Market, the Mortgage and Equity REITs markets, and the Stock Market. Finance Research Letters 27: 193-200.
A Top Global Business School
We are an international triple accredited business school. Sharing insights, supporting innovation and teaching tomorrow’s leaders. We combine our academic excellence, insightful research and exceptional global business connections, to equip our students to become innovative business thinkers.