|Professor in Finance in the Business School||MHL 166||+44 (0) 191 33 45133|
Dennis Philip holds a PhD in Finance. His research contributes to the understanding of the interactions between firm characteristics and financial markets. His research has been funded by financial companies, central banks and recently from the European Commission. He is involved in various policy-led research projects, in particular research in financial literacy and inclusion in emerging markets, with international connectivity in both academia and practice.
He has previously served as the PhD Programme Director for Economics and Finance, and is now the Director of the Centre for Banking, Institutions and Development (CBID) research group.
Dennis works in the area of financial economics.
- Household Finance
- Big Data Methodologies
- Financial Markets and Asset Pricing
- Andreou, P. C., Fiordelisi, F., Harris, T., & Philip, D. (2022). Institutional ownership and firms’ thrust to compete. British Journal of Management, 33(3), 1346-1370. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8551.12496
- Delis, M., Hong, S., Paltalidis, N., & Philip, D. (2022). Forward Guidance and Corporate Lending. Review of Finance, 26(4), 899-935. https://doi.org/10.1093/rof/rfab027
- Balloch, A., Engels, C., & Philip, D. (2022). When It Rains It Drains: Psychological Distress and Household Net Worth. Journal of Banking and Finance, 143, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2022.106620
- Cooper, I., Ma, L., Maio, P., & Philip, D. (2021). Multifactor Models and Their Consistency with the APT. The Review of Asset Pricing Studies, 11(2), 402-444. https://doi.org/10.1093/rapstu/raaa024
- Andreou, P., Kagkadis, A., Maio, P., & Philip, D. (2021). Dispersion in options investors' versus analysts' expectations: Predictive inference for stock returns. Critical finance review, 10(1), 65-81. https://doi.org/10.1561/104.00000091
- Andreou, P., Harris, T., & Philip, D. (2020). Measuring firms' market orientation using textual analysis of 10-K filings. British Journal of Management, 31(4), 8725-895. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8551.12391
- Engels, C., Kumar, K., & Philip, D. (2020). Financial literacy and fraud detection. European Journal of Finance, 26(4-5), 420-442. https://doi.org/10.1080/1351847x.2019.1646666
- Andreou, P., Kagkadis, A., Philip, D., & Taamouti, A. (2019). The information content of forward moments. Journal of Banking and Finance, 106, 527-541. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2019.07.021
- Aktas, N., Andreou, P., Karasamani, I., & Philip, D. (2019). CEO duality, agency costs, and internal capital allocation efficiency. British Journal of Management, 30(2), 473-493. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8551.12277
- Andreou, P., & Philip, D. (2018). Financial knowledge among university students and implications for personal debt and fraudulent investments. Cyprus economic policy review, 12(2), 3-23
- Andreou, P., Kagkadis, A., Philip, D., & Tuneshev, T. (2018). Differences in options investors' expectations and the cross-section of stock returns. Journal of Banking and Finance, 94, 315-336. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2018.07.016
- Maio, P., & Philip, D. (2018). Economic activity and momentum profits: further evidence. Journal of Banking and Finance, 88, 466-482. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2018.01.013
- Andreou, P., Cooper, I., Louca, C., & Philip, D. (2017). Bank loan loss accounting treatments, credit cycles and crash risk. The British Accounting Review, 49(5), 474-492. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2017.03.002
- Philip, D., & Shi, Y. (2016). Optimal hedging in carbon emission markets using Markov regime switching models. Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, 43, 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.intfin.2016.03.003
- Andreou, P., Philip, D., & Robejsek, P. (2016). Bank liquidity creation and risk-taking: Does managerial ability matter?. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 43(1-2), 226-259. https://doi.org/10.1111/jbfa.12169
- Maio, P., & Philip, D. (2015). Macro variables and the components of stock returns. Journal of Empirical Finance, 33, 287-308. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jempfin.2015.03.004
- Balloch, A., Nicolae, A., & Philip, D. (2015). Stock market literacy, trust, and participation. Review of Finance, 19(5), 1925-1963. https://doi.org/10.1093/rof/rfu040
- Philip, D., & Shi, Y. (2015). Impact of allowance submissions in European carbon emission markets. International Review of Financial Analysis, 40, 27-37. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.irfa.2015.05.004
- Ferguson, N., Philip, D., Lam, H., & Guo, M. (2015). Media content and stock returns : the predictive power of press. Multinational finance journal, 19(1), 1-31
- Kuo, J., Philip, D., & Zhang, Q. (2013). What drives the disappearing dividends phenomenon?. Journal of Banking and Finance, 37(9), 3499-3514. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbankfin.2013.05.003
- Johnson, K., Philip, D., & Engels, C. (2020). The ABC of Soil Literacy - Evidence from Ghana, South Africa and Zimbabwe. [No known commissioning body]
A Top Global Business School
We are an international triple accredited business school. Sharing insights, supporting innovation and teaching tomorrow’s leaders. We combine our academic excellence, insightful research and exceptional global business connections, to equip our students to become innovative business thinkers.