Professor Duc Duy (Louis) Nguyen
Professor in Finance
BSc, MSc, PhD
|Professor in Finance in the Business School||369|
Duc Duy (Louis) Nguyen is Professor in Finance at Durham University Business School. Prior to joining Durham in 2021, he was a Senior Lecturer in Finance at King’s College London and a Lecturer in Banking and Finance at the University of St Andrews.
Louis holds a BSc (Hons) in Computing from the National University of Singapore, an MSc (Distinction) in Accounting, Finance, and Management from the University of Bristol, and a PhD in Finance from the University of Edinburgh. His research was recognised by the David Hume Publication Prize in 2015.
Louis’ research and teaching interests include empirical corporate finance, banking, and climate finance. His research has appeared in Review of Financial Studies, Management Science, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Review of Finance, Review of Corporate Finance Studies, Journal of Money, Credit, and Banking, Journal of International Business Studies, and several other leading journals in finance and management. His research has been featured in Forbes, Harvard Business Review, the BBC, the Boston Globe; and been funded by the British Academy/Leverhulme Trust and the Carnegie UK Trust. Louis serves as Associate Editor to the European Journal of Finance and sits on the Editorial Board of the British Accounting Review.
Louis is a regular speaker at international conferences and meetings organised by central banks, governments, and international organisations, including the Federal Reserve Banks of New York & St Louis.
Duc Duy (Louis) Nguyen is Professor in Finance at Durham University Business School. He holds a PhD in Finance from the University of Edinburgh.
- Climate Finance
- Corporate Finance
- Social Finance
Chapter in book
- Nguyen, D. D., Hagendorff, J. & Eshraghi, A. (2020). Misconduct in Banking: The Role of the Board of Directors. In Corruption and Fraud in Financial Markets: Malpractice, Misconduct and Manipulation. Alexander, C. & Cumming, D.
- Nguyen, D. D., Hagendorff, J. & Eshraghi, A. (2015). When Do Individual Bank Executives Matter for Bank Performance? In Financial Crisis, Bank Behaviour and Credit Crunch. Rossi, S. & Malavasi, R. 125-138.
- Hagendorff, J., Lim, S. & Nguyen, D.D. (2023). Lender Trust and Bank Loan Contracts. Management Science 69(3): 1758-1779.
- Brogaard, Jonathan, Le, Nhan, Nguyen, Duc Duy & Sila, Vathunyoo (2023). Does Shareholder Litigation Risk Cause Public Firms to Delist? Evidence from Securities Class Action Lawsuits. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 1-55.
- Hagendorff, J., Nguyen, D.D. & Sila, V. (2022). Does Marriage Equality Promote Credit Access? Evidence from Same-sex Marriage Laws. Journal of Corporate Finance 77: 102315.
- Lim, I, Nguyen, DD & Nguyen, HL (2022). Regulatory Spillovers in Local Mortgage Markets. Review of Corporate Finance Studies
- Nguyen, D.D., Ongena, S. Qi, S. & Sila, V. (2022). Climate Change Risk and the Cost of Mortgage Credit. Review of Finance 26(6): 1509-1549.
- Hagendorff, J., Le, N. & Nguyen, D. D. (2022). The Walls Have Ears: Local Information Environments and Corporate Fraud. Journal of Money, Credit and Banking 54(8): 2377-2410.
- Le, N., Nguyen, D. D. & Sila, V. (2021). Does Shareholder Litigation Affect the Corporate Information Environment? Journal of Financial Markets 56: 10060.
- Lim, Ivan & Nguyen, Duc Duy (2021). Hometown Lending. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 56(8): 2894-2933.
- Qi, S. & Nguyen, D. D. (2021). Government connections and credit access around the world: Evidence from discouraged borrowers. Journal of International Business Studies 52(2): 321-333.
- Nguyen, D. D., Nguyen, L. & Vathunyoo, S. (2019). Does Corporate Culture Affect Bank Risk-Taking? Evidence from Loan-Level Data. British Journal of Management 30(1): 106-133.
- Nguyen, D. D., Hagendorff, J. & Eshraghi, A. (2018). Study: A CEO’s decision-making is shaped by whether their parents were immigrants. Harvard Business Review
- Nguyen, D. D., Hagendorff, J. & Eshraghi, A. (2018). Does a CEO's Cultural Heritage Affect Performance under Competitive Pressure? Review of Financial Studies 31(1): 97-141.
- Nguyen, D. D., Hagendorff, J. & Eshraghi, A. (2016). Can Bank Boards Prevent Misconduct? REVIEW OF FINANCE 20(1): 1-36.
- Nguyen, D. D., Hagendorff, J. & Eshraghi, A. (2015). Which Executive Characteristics Create Value in Banking? Evidence from Appointment Announcements. CORPORATE GOVERNANCE-AN INTERNATIONAL REVIEW 23(2, SI): 112-128.
A Top Global Business School
We are an international triple accredited business school. Sharing insights, supporting innovation and teaching tomorrow’s leaders. We combine our academic excellence, insightful research and exceptional global business connections, to equip our students to become innovative business thinkers.