|Professor of Operations Management/ Associate Dean for Internationalisation in the Business School||MHL 536||+44 (0) 191 33 45512|
|Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing||+44 (0) 191 33 45200|
Professor Kiran Jude Fernandes is the Associate Dean for Internationalisation (since 2017) having served as the Head of Department and Professor of Operations Management from 2013 to 2017. Professor Fernandes is also the Executive Director of the NELEP Innovation Observatory, Fellow of University College Durham and the Wolfson Research Institute. He held academic positions at the Universities of Warwick and York and is a Professeur Invité at EMLyon (France) and was a Special Advisor and Consulting Professor at the Cabinet Office’s Civil Contingencies Secretariat. He was appointed by the UK Secretary of State for International Development as a Non-Executive Director of the UK National Commission (UKNC) for UNESCO with special responsibility for Higher Education, and in 2017 was elected vice-chair of the UKNC. He currently sits on a range of advisory panels covering various aspects of Operations and Innovation Management, Academic Advisory Council member of the Chartered Management Institute, and is member of a variety of editorial boards.
Professor Fernandes has a Bachelor’s Degree in Production & Mechanical Engineering, Masters of Science in Industrial Engineering from Mississippi State University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a PhD in Engineering from Warwick University.
Professor Fernandes served as the Head of Department from 2013 to 2017; Pro Dean for Research and the Principal Investigator of the York Centre for Complex Systems Analysis. Before his academic career, he was a Sub-Systems Engineer at the NASA's Stennis Space Centre, where he was awarded the NASA Space Shuttle Main Engine Continuous Improvement Award for his work on decision-making systems.
Professor Fernandes is a world-leading expert on modelling complex systems and digital innovation in supply chains. His research has modelled complex systems ranging from crime networks to global supply chains, with a strong track record in translation to the business community. Using a complex systems lens he has worked with construction, pharmaceutical, biotech and digital firms. His research has been funded by prestigious and competitive funding bodies like the British Council, Department for Business Innovation and Skills, Economic and Social Research Council, Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council, Foreign and Commonwealth Office, NASA, North East Local Enterprise Partnership, Royal Academy of Engineering and the Swiss Federal Department of Foreign Affairs.
Professor Fernandes, a Fellow Chartered Engineer, was elected to a Fellowship of the Academy of Social Sciences in 2015. He was awarded the 2015 Caterpillar Faculty Awards for his work on supply chain optimisation, the Vice Chancellor’s Gold Medal for his work on internationalisation and the NASA Space Shuttle Main Engine Continuous Improvement Award for his work on decision-making systems. Professor Fernandes was named the Financial Times' Professor of the Week for his work on home automation and smart cars.
Professor Fernandes has been teaching and leading programmes (Undergraduate, Post Graduate and Doctoral) in the UK Higher Education system since 2004. He is Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and was a recipient of the Dean’s Teaching Award.
Professor Kiran Fernandes is the Chair of Operations Management and a Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute. He has been teaching in the UK Higher Education system since 2004. He is currently the Associate Dean (Internationalisation) for the Faculty of Business (since 2017) having served as the Head of Department from 2013 to 2017.
- Operations Management
- Innovation Diffusion
- Complex Systems
- Tiwari, M., Chang, P., Fernandes, K. & Chan, F.T.S. (2015). Supply Chain Management: An Evolutionary Computing Approach. John Wiley & Sons.
- Fernandes K., Xiong, Y. & Hayat, A. (2009). Tracking the Innovation Epidemic: A Framework for Innovation Measurement and Diffusion within the Pharmaceutical Sector. York: University of York.
- Raja, V. & Fernandes, K. (2008). Reverse Engineering: An Industrial Perspective. London: Springer.
Chapter in book
- Drivalos, N., Kolovos, D., Paige, R. & Fernandes, K. (2009). Engineering a DSL for Software Tracebility. In Software Language Engineering. Springer. 5452: 151-167.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V., Keast, J., Benyon, M., Chan, P. & Joy, M. (2002). Business and IT Perspectives on AMORE: A Methodology using Object-Orientation in Re-engineering Enterprises. In Systems Engineering for Business Process Change: New Directions. Henderson, P. Springer. 274-297.
- Fernandes, K. & Raja, V. (2001). Feature Based Interactive Program Understanding Tool. In Automation and Information Technology in Manufacturing. 175-177.
- Choudhary, Divya, Qaiser, Fahham Hasan, Choudhary, Alok & Fernandes, Kiran (2022). A model for managing returns in a circular economy context: A case study from the Indian electronics industry. International Journal of Production Economics 249: 108505.
- Goumagias, Nikolaos, Fernandes, Kiran Jude, Nucciarelli, Alberto & Li, Feng (2022). How to overcome path dependency through resource reconfiguration. Journal of Business Research 145: 78-91.
- Fernandes, Kiran Jude, Milewski, Simon, Chaudhuri, Atanu & Xiong, Yu (2022). Contextualising the role of external partnerships to innovate the core and enabling processes of an organisation: A resource and knowledge-based view. Journal of Business Research 144: 146-162.
- Sahoo, R., Pasayat, A. K., Bhowmick, B. Fernandes, K. & Tiwari, M. K. (2022). A hybrid ensemble learning-based prediction model to minimize delay in air cargo transport using bagging and stacking. International Journal of Production Research 60(2): 644-660.
- Wu, Y, Maas, G, Zhang, Yi, Chen, F, Xia, S, Fernandes, K & Tian, K (2022). The secrets to successful entrepreneurship: How occupational experience shapes the creation and performance of start-ups. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research
- Chaudhuri, A., Bhatia, M., Kayikci, Y., Fernandes, K. J. & FossoWamba, S. (2021). Improving social sustainability and reducing supply chain risks through blockchain implementation: role of outcome and behavioural mechanisms. Annals of Operations Research
- Chaudhuri, Atanu, Datta, Partha Priya Fernandes, Kiran J. & Xiong, Yu (2021). Optimal pricing strategies for Manufacturing-as-a Service platforms to ensure business sustainability. International Journal of Production Economics 234: 108065.
- Gupta, V. K., Dakare, S., Fernandes, K. J. Thakur, L. S. & Tiwari, M. K. (2021). Bilevel Programming for Manufacturers Operating in an Omnichannel Retailing Environment. Transactions on Engineering Management
- Tse, Y.K., Zhang, M., Tan, K.H., Pawar, K. & Fernandes, K. (2019). Managing quality risk in supply chain to drive firm's performance: the roles of control mechanisms. Journal of Business Research 97: 291-303.
- Hodge, V.J., Sephton, N., Devlin, S., Cowling, P.I., Goumagias, N., Shao, Jianhua, Purvis, K., Cabras, I., Fernandes, K.J. & Li, F. (2019). How the Business Model of Customizable Card Games Influences Player Engagement. IEEE Transactions on Games 11(4): 374-385.
- Bergman, Z, Bergman, M, Fernandes, K, Grossrieder, D & Schneider, L (2018). The Contribution of UNESCO Chairs toward achieving the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Journal of Sustainability 10(12): 4471.
- Bajpai, Amlendu, Fernandes, Kiran Jude & Tiwari, Manoj Kumar (2018). Modeling, analysis, and improvement of integrated productivity and energy consumption in a serial manufacturing system. Journal of Cleaner Production 199: 296-304.
- Jha, A., Fernandes, K., Xiong, Y., Nie, J., Agarwal, N. & Tiwari, M.K. (2017). Effects of demand forecast and resource sharing on collaborative new product development in supply chain. International Journal of Production Economics 193: 207-221.
- Nucciarelli, A., Li, F., Fernandes, K., Goumagias, N., Cabras, I., Devlin, S., Kudenko, D. & Cowling, P. (2017). From value chains to technological platforms: The effects of crowdfunding in the digital game industry. Journal of Business Research 78: 341-352.
- Cabras, I., Goumagias, N.D., Fernandes, K., Cowling, P., Li, F., Kudenko, D. & Nucciarelli, A. (2017). Exploring survival rates of companies in the UK video-games industry: an empirical study. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 117: 305-314.
- Zhu, A., von Zedtwitz, M., Assimakopoulos, D. & Fernandes, K. (2016). The impact of organizational culture on Concurrent Engineering, Design-for-Safety, and product safety performance. International Journal of Production Economics 176: 69-81.
- Milewski, S., Fernandes, K. & Mount, M. (2015). Exploring technological process innovation from a lifecycle perspective. International journal of operations and production management 35(9): 1312-1331.
- Mount, M. P., Milewski, S. & Fernandes, K. (2015). Exploring the knowledge complexities of innovation intermediaries: The case of nanotechnology in the UK. International Journal of Technology Management 69(1): 20-37.
- Babu, Soudagar A. K. Irfan, Pratap, Saurabh, Lahoti, Geet, Fernandes, Kiran J., Tiwari, Manoj K., Mount, Matthew & Xiong, Yu (2015). Minimizing delay of ships in bulk terminals by simultaneous ship scheduling, stockyard planning and train scheduling. Maritime Economics & Logistics 17(4): 464-492.
- Choudhary, A., Suman, R., Dixit, V., Tiwari, M., Fernandes, K. & Chang, P. (2015). An optimization model for a monopolistic firm serving an environmentally conscious market: Use of Chemical Reaction Optimization Algorithm. International Journal of Production Economics 164: 409-420.
- Shi, L. & Fernandes, K. (2014). A diffusion model for service products. Journal of service marketing 28(4): 331-341.
- Shi, L. & Fernandes, K. (2014). Exploring the Role of Innovativeness and Opinion Leadership in Diffusion. International Journal of Innovation Management 18(4): 1450029.
- Okike, C., Fernandes, K. & Xiong, Y. (2014). Impact of operator experience on information feedback and reusability. Production Planning & Control: The Management of Operations 25(4): 318-331.
- Shi, L., Fernandes, K. & Chumnumpan, P. (2014). Diffusion of multi-generational high-technology products. Technovation 34(3): 162-176.
- Shukla, N., Choudhary, A., Prakash, P., Fernandes, K. & Tiwari, M. (2013). Algorithm Portfolios for Logistics Optimization Considering Stochastic Demands and Mobility allowance. International Journal of Production Economics 141(1): 146-166.
- Xiong, Y., Li, G., Zhou, Y., Fernandes, K., Harrison, R. & Xiong, Z. (2013). Dynamic pricing models for used products in remanufacturing with lost-sales and uncertain quality. International journal of production economics 147(Part C): 678-688.
- Grody A., Fernandes, K., Hughes, P. & Toms, J. (2013). The Basel Committee’s fundamental review of the trading book: A commentary. Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions 1(6-9).
- Liao, N., Fernandes, K., Downs, D. & Foley, G. (2013). Facilitating the Adoption of Open Source Technologies for UK Health Care: An Ecosystem Framework. International Journal of Health Information Management Research 1(1): 37-47.
- Mount, M. & Fernandes, K. (2013). Adoption of Open Source Software in High Velocity Environments. Behavioural and Information Technology. Behaviour and Information Technology 32(3): 231-246.
- Agrawal, T., Sao, A., Fernandes, K., Tiwari, M. & Kim, D. (2013). A Hybrid Model of Component Sharing and Platform Modularity for Optimal Product Family Design. International Journal of Production Research 51(2): 614-625.
- Okike, C. & Fernandes, K. (2012). Impact of Information Use Architecture on Load and Usability. Information Processing and Management 48(5): 995-1016.
- Fernandes, K. (2012). A Framework for Service Systems Analysis: Theory and Practice. Production Planning & Control: The Management of Operations 23(7): 480-497.
- Xiong, Y., Yan, W., Fernandes, K., Zhongkai, X. & Guo, N. (2012). Bricks Vs Clicks: The Impact of Manufacturer Encroachment with a Dealer Leasing and Selling of Durable Goods. European Journal of Operational Research 217(1): 75-83.
- Jha, A., Somani, K., Tiwari, M., Chan, F. & Fernandes, K. (2012). Minimizing transportation cost of a joint inventory location model using modified adaptive differential evolution algorithm. The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 60(1-4): 329-341.
- Paige, R., Drivalos, N., Kolovos, D., Fernandes, K., Power, C., Olsen, G. & Zschaler, S. (2011). Rigorous identification and encoding of trace-links in model-driven engineering. Software & Systems Modeling 10(4): 469-487.
- Xiong, Y., Li, G. & Fernandes, K. (2010). Dynamic Pricing Model and Algorithm for Perishable Products with Fuzzy Demand. Applied Stochastic Models in Business and Industry 26(6): 758-774.
- Yang, B. & Fernandes, K. (2010). Global supply chain risk management: a socio-technical perspective. International Journal of Business Environment 3(2): 240-249.
- Fernandes, K. (2009). Interactive Situation Modelling in Knowledge Intensive Domains. International Journal of Business Information Systems 4(1): 25-45.
- Fernandes, K. J., Raja, V., White A. & Tsinopoulos, C. (2006). Adoption of virtual reality within construction processes: A factor analysis approach. Technovation 26(1): 111-120.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V. & Whaley, A. (2006). Lessons from implementing the Balanced Scorecard in a Small and Medium Size Manufacturing Organization. Technovation 26(5-6): 623-634.
- Fernandes, K. (2005). Eureka Moments in the Life of Claudio Cioborra. European Journal of Information Systems 14(5): 498-499.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V. & Austin, S. (2005). Portals as a Knowledge Repository and Transfer Tool – VIZCon Case Study. Technovation 25(11): 1281-1289.
- Zhang, S., Raja, V., Fernandes, K., Ryall, C. & Wimpenny, D. (2005). Rapid Prototyping models and their Quality Evaluation using Reverse Engineering. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 217(1): 81-96.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V. & Eyre, J. (2003). Immersive Learning System for Manufacturing Industries. Computers in Industry 51(1): 31-40.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V. & Eyre, J. (2003). Cybersphere: The Fully Immersive Spherical Projection System. Communications of the ACM 46(9): 141-146.
- Fernandes, K. & Raja, V. (2002). A Structured Modelling Approach to Business Domains in Aerospace Industries. International Journal of Aerospace Management 1(4): 353-366.
- Fernandes, K. & Raja, V. (2002). A Practical Knowledge Transfer System: A Case Study. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management (Work Study) 51(3): 140-148.
- Antony, J., Warwood, S., Fernandes, K & Rowlands, H. (2001). Process Optimization using Taguchi Methods of Experimental Design. International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management (Work Study) 50(2): 51-57.
- Fernandes, K., Raja, V. & Anthony, J. (2001). Optimum Leve of Goal Mapping in a Reengineering Environment. Business Process Management Journal 7(1): 24-32.
- Fernandes, K. & Raja, V. (2000). Incorporated Tool Selection System using Object Technology. International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 40(11): 1547-1555.
- Usher, J. & Fernandes, K. (1999). An Object Oriented Application of Tool Selection in Dynamic Process Planning. International Journal of Production Research 37(13): 2879-2894.
- Usher, J. & Fernandes, K. (1996). Dynamic Process Planning – The Static Phase. Journal of Materials Processing Technology 61(1-2): 53-58.
- Usher, J. & Fernandes, K. (1996). A Two Phased Approach to Dynamic Process Planning. Computers & Industrial Engineering 31(1-2): 173-176.
A Top Global Business School
We are an international triple accredited business school. Sharing insights, supporting innovation and teaching tomorrow’s leaders. We combine our academic excellence, insightful research and exceptional global business connections, to equip our students to become innovative business thinkers.