|Professor in Entrepreneurship in the Business School|
I’m a social scientist trying to do useful research. My research looks at how entrepreneurship, in its mundane and complicated forms, creates value for society. With a focus on engaged scholarship, I explore how individuals use entrepreneurship to overcome challenging circumstances and build a more sustainable future and how to better conceptualise and measure the value of entrepreneurship.
My work has been published in leading management journals, such as Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, California Management Review, Journal of Management Studies, Academy of Management Discoveries and Academy of Management Perspectives; in innovation studies journals such as Research Policy and Technological Forecasting and Social Change; as well as in regional and environmental studies outlets, e.g., Business Strategy and the Environment, Organization & Environment, and Regional Studies. I have also published several policy reports on social entrepreneurship, entrepreneurship and at-risk groups, impact investing, and enterprise and rural development. My research has also been referenced in popular and specialised media such as Fast Company, Shareable, The Conversation, The European Business Review, The Telegraph, The Network for Business Sustainability and America Economia. I am Visiting Professor of Entrepreneurship at the School of Business and Economics, Universidad del Desarrollo in Chile and Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Business Venturing Insights.
- Social & sustainable entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurship in the periphery
Available for media contact about:
- Entrepreneurship / SME:
- Small business management:
- Chen, S., Sharma, G. & Muñoz, P. (2022). In pursuit of impact: From research questions to problem formulation in entrepreneurship research. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice
- Muñoz, Pablo, Gamble, Edward & Beer, Haley (2022). Impact measurement in an emerging social sector: Four novel approaches. Academy of Management Discoveries 9(2): 298-330.
- Kimmitt, J., Mandakovic, V. & Muñoz, P. (2022). Social problem scale, public investment and social entrepreneurship action. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research
- Gamble, Edward & Muñoz, Pablo (2022). When tax-exempt nonprofits detract value from society. Academy of Management Perspectives 36(1): 50-92.
- Gamble, E. N. & Muñoz, P. (2021). How Tax Incentives Slow Down Positive Change in Social Impact Ecosystems and What Can We Do About It. Journal of Business Venturing Insights
- Hernández, Mauricio & Muñoz, Pablo (2021). Reformists, Decouplists, and Activists: A Typology of Ecocentric Management. Organization & Environment 108602662199320.
- Muñoz, P. & Branzei, O. (2021). Regenerative Organizations: Introduction to the Special Issue. Organization & Environment
- Kibler, Ewald & Muñoz, Pablo (2020). What Do We Talk About When We Talk About Community? Commentary. Academy of Management Discoveries 6(4): 721-725.
- Muñoz, Pablo, Cacciotti, Gabriella & Ucbasaran, Deniz (2020). Failing and exiting in social and commercial entrepreneurship: The role of situated cognition. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 14: e00196.
- Kimmitt, Jonathan, Munoz, Pablo & Newbery, Robert (2020). Poverty and the varieties of entrepreneurship in the pursuit of prosperity. Journal of Business Venturing 35(4): 105939.
- Wainwright, Lee & Muñoz, Pablo (2020). Restorative entrepreneuring: A new cross- disciplinary agenda to support at-risk social groups. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 13: e00165.
- Muñoz, Pablo, Kimmitt, Jonathan & Dimov, Dimo (2020). Packs, Troops and Herds: Prosocial Cooperatives and Innovation in the New Normal. Journal of Management Studies 57(3): 470.
- Pollack, Jeffrey M., Muñoz, Pablo & Dimov, Dimo (2020). JBVI on its 5th birthday: Reflections on place and journey. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 13: e00152.
- Muñoz, Pablo, Kibler, Ewald, Mandakovic, Vesna & Amorós, José Ernesto (2020). Local entrepreneurial ecosystems as configural narratives: A new way of seeing and evaluating antecedents and outcomes. Research Policy 104065.
- Kibler, Ewald & Munoz, Pablo (2020). Social entrepreneurship in context and as practice. Regional Studies 54(9): 1317-1319.
- Muñoz, Pablo, Naudé, Wim, Williams, Nick, Williams, Trenton & Frías, Rodrigo (2020). Reorienting entrepreneurial support infrastructure to tackle a social crisis: A rapid response. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 14: e00181.
- Van gelderen, Marco, Kibler, Ewald, Kautonen, Teemu, Munoz, Pablo & Wincent, Joakim (2019). Mindfulness and Taking Action to Start a New Business. Journal of Small Business Management 57(sup2): 489.
- Munoz, Pablo & Kimmitt, Jonathan (2019). Rural entrepreneurship in place: an integrated framework. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 31(9-10): 842-873.
- Munoz, Pablo & Kimmitt, Jonathan (2019). Social mission as competitive advantage: A configurational analysis of the strategic conditions of social entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Research 101: 854-861.
- Muñoz, Pablo & Kimmitt, Jonathan (2019). A diagnostic framework for social impact bonds in emerging economies. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 12: e00141.
- Munoz, Pablo, Kimmitt, Jonathan, Kibler, Ewald & Farny, Steffen (2019). Living on the slopes: entrepreneurial preparedness in a context under continuous threat. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 31(5-6): 413-434.
- Muñoz, Pablo & Kimmitt, Jonathan (2018). Entrepreneurship and the rest: The missing debate. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 9: 100.
- Munoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2018). Sustainable Entrepreneurship Research: Taking Stock and looking ahead. Business Strategy and The Environment 27(3): 300-322.
- Munoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2018). A Compass for Navigating Sharing Economy Business Models. California Management Review 61(1): 114-147.
- Munoz, Pablo Janssen, Frank, Nicolopoulou, Katerina & Hockerts, Kai (2018). Advancing sustainable entrepreneurship through substantive research. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research 24(2): 322-332.
- Munoz, Pablo, Cacciotti, Gabriella & Cohen, Boyd (2018). The double-edged sword of purpose-driven behavior in sustainable venturing. Journal of Business Venturing 33(2, SI): 149-178.
- Munoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2018). Entrepreneurial Narratives in Sustainable Venturing: Beyond People, Profit, and Planet. Journal of Small Business Management 56(1): 154-176.
- Kimmitt, Jonathan & Munoz, Pablo (2018). Sensemaking the `social' in social entrepreneurship. International Small Business Journal-Researching Entrepreneurship 36(8): 859-886.
- Munoz, Pablo (2018). A cognitive map of sustainable decision-making in entrepreneurship: A configurational approach. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research 24(3): 787-813.
- Muñoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2017). Towards a social-ecological understanding of sustainable venturing. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 7: 1.
- Munoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2017). Mapping out the sharing economy: A configurational approach to sharing business modeling. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 125: 21-37.
- Cohen, Boyd & Munoz, Pablo (2017). Entering Conscious Consumer Markets: Towards a new generation of sustainability strategies. California Management Review 59(4): 23-48.
- Kimmitt, Jonathan & Munoz, Pablo (2017). Entrepreneurship and financial inclusion through the lens of instrumental freedoms. International Small Business Journal-Researching Entrepreneurship 35(7, SI): 803-828.
- Cohen, Boyd & Munoz, Pablo (2016). Sharing cities and sustainable consumption and production: towards an integrated framework. Journal of Cleaner Production 134(A, SI): 87-97.
- Munoz, Pablo & Kibler, Ewald (2016). Institutional complexity and social entrepreneurship: A fuzzy-set approach. Journal of Business Research 69(4, SI): 1314-1318.
- Munoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2016). The Making of the Urban Entrepreneur. California Management Review 59(1, SI): 71-91.
- Cohen, Boyd & Munoz, Pablo (2015). Toward a Theory of Purpose-Driven Urban Entrepreneurship. Organization & Environment 28(3): 264-285.
- Munoz, Pablo & Dimov, Dimo (2015). The call of the whole in understanding the development of sustainable ventures. Journal of Business Venturing 30(4): 632-654.
- Rodrigo, Pablo, Munoz, Pablo & Wright, Alexander (2015). Transitions dynamics in context: key factors and alternative paths in the sustainable development of nations. Journal of Cleaner Production 94: 221-234.
- Kibler, Ewald, Fink, Matthias, Lang, Richard & Muñoz, Pablo (2015). Place attachment and social legitimacy: Revisiting the sustainable entrepreneurship journey. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 3: 24.
- Little, Cedric, Felzensztein, Christian, Gimmon, Eli & Munoz, Pablo (2015). The business management of the Chilean salmon farming industry. Marine Policy 54: 108-117.
- Muñoz, Pablo (2013). The Distinctive Importance of Sustainable Entrepreneurship. Current Opinion in Creativity, Innovation and Entrepreneurship 2(1).
A Top Global Business School
We are an international triple accredited business school. Sharing insights, supporting innovation and teaching tomorrow’s leaders. We combine our academic excellence, insightful research and exceptional global business connections, to equip our students to become innovative business thinkers.