Prof Pablo Munoz
Professor in Entrepreneurship
|Professor in Entrepreneurship in the Business School|
I’m a social scientist trying to do useful research, mostly at the intersection of human enterprise, social issues and natural environments. With a focus on engaged scholarship, I explore 1. How individuals and communities use entrepreneurial practices to overcome challenging circumstances and create better futures and 2. the idea of impact-in-process, to bring research impact into the core of social science research.
My work has been published in leading management journals, such as Journal of Business Venturing, Entrepreneurship Theory & Practice, California Management Review, Journal of Management Studies, Academy of Management Discoveries and Academy of Management Perspectives; in innovation studies journals such as Research Policy and Technological Forecasting and Social Change; as well as in regional and environmental studies outlets, e.g., Business Strategy and the Environment, Organization & Environment, and Regional Studies. I have also published several policy reports on social entrepreneurship, entrepreneurship and at-risk groups, impact investing, and enterprise and rural development. My research has also been referenced in popular and specialised media such as Fast Company, Shareable, The Conversation, The European Business Review, The Telegraph, The Network for Business Sustainability and America Economia. I serve as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Business Venturing Insights and hold visiting positions at IE Business School in Spain and Universidad del Desarrollo in Chile.
- Social & sustainable entrepreneurship
- Entrepreneurship in the periphery
Available for media contact about:
- Entrepreneurship / SME:
- Small business management:
- Muñoz, P., Kimmitt, J. & Spigel, B. (2023). Trans-contextual work: doing entrepreneurial contexts in the periphery. Small Business Economics
- Muñoz, P. & Dimov, D. (2023). Facing the future through entrepreneurship theory: A prospective inquiry framework. Journal of Business Venturing 38(4): 106303.
- Chen, S., Sharma, G. & Muñoz, P. (2023). In pursuit of impact: From research questions to problem formulation in entrepreneurship research. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice 47(2): 232–264.
- Gamble, E., Muñoz, P. & Fox, K. (2023). Is it time to clean up US tax-exempt nonprofit reporting? Sustainability Accounting, Management and Policy Journal 14(1): 1-20.
- Barton, M. & Muñoz, P. (2022). The magical language of un-realistic venture ideas in social entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 35(1 - 2): 1 - 23.
- Muñoz, P. & Dimov, D. (2022). A translational framework for entrepreneurship research. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 19: e00361.
- Muñoz, Pablo, Gamble, Edward & Beer, Haley (2022). Impact measurement in an emerging social sector: Four novel approaches. Academy of Management Discoveries 9(2): 298-330.
- Kimmitt, J., Mandakovic, V. & Muñoz, P. (2022). Social problem scale, public investment and social entrepreneurship action. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior and Research 28(6): 1391-1413.
- Gamble, Edward & Muñoz, Pablo (2022). When tax-exempt nonprofits detract value from society. Academy of Management Perspectives 36(1): 50-92.
- Muñoz, P. & Branzei, O. (2021). Regenerative Organizations: Introduction to the Special Issue. Organization & Environment 34(4): 507-516.
- Gamble, E. N. & Muñoz, P. (2021). How Tax Incentives Slow Down Positive Change in Social Impact Ecosystems and What Can We Do About It. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 16: e00284.
- Hernández, Mauricio & Muñoz, Pablo (2021). Reformists, Decouplists, and Activists: A Typology of Ecocentric Management. Organization & Environment 108602662199320.
- Muñoz, Pablo, Naudé, Wim, Williams, Nick, Williams, Trenton & Frías, Rodrigo (2020). Reorienting entrepreneurial support infrastructure to tackle a social crisis: A rapid response. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 14: e00181.
- Kibler, Ewald & Munoz, Pablo (2020). Social entrepreneurship in context and as practice. Regional Studies 54(9): 1317-1319.
- Kibler, Ewald & Muñoz, Pablo (2020). What Do We Talk About When We Talk About Community? Commentary. Academy of Management Discoveries 6(4): 721-725.
- Pollack, Jeffrey M., Muñoz, Pablo & Dimov, Dimo (2020). JBVI on its 5th birthday: Reflections on place and journey. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 13: e00152.
- Muñoz, Pablo, Cacciotti, Gabriella & Ucbasaran, Deniz (2020). Failing and exiting in social and commercial entrepreneurship: The role of situated cognition. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 14: e00196.
- Muñoz, Pablo, Kimmitt, Jonathan & Dimov, Dimo (2020). Packs, Troops and Herds: Prosocial Cooperatives and Innovation in the New Normal. Journal of Management Studies 57(3): 470.
- Muñoz, Pablo, Kibler, Ewald, Mandakovic, Vesna & Amorós, José Ernesto (2020). Local entrepreneurial ecosystems as configural narratives: A new way of seeing and evaluating antecedents and outcomes. Research Policy 104065.
- Wainwright, Lee & Muñoz, Pablo (2020). Restorative entrepreneuring: A new cross- disciplinary agenda to support at-risk social groups. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 13: e00165.
- Kimmitt, Jonathan, Munoz, Pablo & Newbery, Robert (2020). Poverty and the varieties of entrepreneurship in the pursuit of prosperity. Journal of Business Venturing 35(4): 105939.
- Van gelderen, Marco, Kibler, Ewald, Kautonen, Teemu, Munoz, Pablo & Wincent, Joakim (2019). Mindfulness and Taking Action to Start a New Business. Journal of Small Business Management 57(sup2): 489.
- Munoz, Pablo, Kimmitt, Jonathan, Kibler, Ewald & Farny, Steffen (2019). Living on the slopes: entrepreneurial preparedness in a context under continuous threat. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 31(5-6): 413-434.
- Muñoz, Pablo & Kimmitt, Jonathan (2019). A diagnostic framework for social impact bonds in emerging economies. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 12: e00141.
- Munoz, Pablo & Kimmitt, Jonathan (2019). Rural entrepreneurship in place: an integrated framework. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 31(9-10): 842-873.
- Munoz, Pablo & Kimmitt, Jonathan (2019). Social mission as competitive advantage: A configurational analysis of the strategic conditions of social entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Research 101: 854-861.
- Muñoz, Pablo & Kimmitt, Jonathan (2018). Entrepreneurship and the rest: The missing debate. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 9: 100.
- Munoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2018). Sustainable Entrepreneurship Research: Taking Stock and looking ahead. Business Strategy and The Environment 27(3): 300-322.
- Munoz, Pablo, Cacciotti, Gabriella & Cohen, Boyd (2018). The double-edged sword of purpose-driven behavior in sustainable venturing. Journal of Business Venturing 33(2, SI): 149-178.
- Munoz, Pablo (2018). A cognitive map of sustainable decision-making in entrepreneurship: A configurational approach. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research 24(3): 787-813.
- Kimmitt, Jonathan & Munoz, Pablo (2018). Sensemaking the `social' in social entrepreneurship. International Small Business Journal-Researching Entrepreneurship 36(8): 859-886.
- Munoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2018). A Compass for Navigating Sharing Economy Business Models. California Management Review 61(1): 114-147.
- Munoz, Pablo Janssen, Frank, Nicolopoulou, Katerina & Hockerts, Kai (2018). Advancing sustainable entrepreneurship through substantive research. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research 24(2): 322-332.
- Munoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2018). Entrepreneurial Narratives in Sustainable Venturing: Beyond People, Profit, and Planet. Journal of Small Business Management 56(1): 154-176.
- Munoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2017). Mapping out the sharing economy: A configurational approach to sharing business modeling. Technological Forecasting and Social Change 125: 21-37.
- Cohen, Boyd & Munoz, Pablo (2017). Entering Conscious Consumer Markets: Towards a new generation of sustainability strategies. California Management Review 59(4): 23-48.
- Kimmitt, Jonathan & Munoz, Pablo (2017). Entrepreneurship and financial inclusion through the lens of instrumental freedoms. International Small Business Journal-Researching Entrepreneurship 35(7, SI): 803-828.
- Muñoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2017). Towards a social-ecological understanding of sustainable venturing. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 7: 1.
- Munoz, Pablo & Cohen, Boyd (2016). The Making of the Urban Entrepreneur. California Management Review 59(1, SI): 71-91.
- Cohen, Boyd & Munoz, Pablo (2016). Sharing cities and sustainable consumption and production: towards an integrated framework. Journal of Cleaner Production 134(A, SI): 87-97.
- Munoz, Pablo & Kibler, Ewald (2016). Institutional complexity and social entrepreneurship: A fuzzy-set approach. Journal of Business Research 69(4, SI): 1314-1318.
- Kibler, Ewald, Fink, Matthias, Lang, Richard & Muñoz, Pablo (2015). Place attachment and social legitimacy: Revisiting the sustainable entrepreneurship journey. Journal of Business Venturing Insights 3: 24.
- Little, Cedric, Felzensztein, Christian, Gimmon, Eli & Munoz, Pablo (2015). The business management of the Chilean salmon farming industry. Marine Policy 54: 108-117.
- Munoz, Pablo & Dimov, Dimo (2015). The call of the whole in understanding the development of sustainable ventures. Journal of Business Venturing 30(4): 632-654.
- Cohen, Boyd & Munoz, Pablo (2015). Toward a Theory of Purpose-Driven Urban Entrepreneurship. Organization & Environment 28(3): 264-285.
- Rodrigo, Pablo, Munoz, Pablo & Wright, Alexander (2015). Transitions dynamics in context: key factors and alternative paths in the sustainable development of nations. Journal of Cleaner Production 94: 221-234.
- Muñoz, Pablo (2013). The Distinctive Importance of Sustainable Entrepreneurship. Current Opinion in Creativity, Innovation and Entrepreneurship 2(1).
A Top Global Business School
We are an international triple accredited business school. Sharing insights, supporting innovation and teaching tomorrow’s leaders. We combine our academic excellence, insightful research and exceptional global business connections, to equip our students to become innovative business thinkers.