Dr. Jacqueline You
DPhil, FHEA, MLitt (Distinction), PGDip, PGCert, B.B.A (Hons)
|Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing|
Dr. Jacqueline J. You
Dr. Jacqueline You is an acknowledged authority on organisational resilience and disruption, with over 20 years of experience gained in global supply chains, industry, consultancy and academia. This experience has been spread across five countries: China, the US, Canada, France and the UK under the Global Talent Scheme.
A recipient of a PhD in Management from Durham University and a scholarship in the Global Citizenship Programme, Ustinov College, her interdisciplinary research focuses on the antecedents and mechanisms that contribute to resilience-building in organisations and society in pursuit of sustainable development goals (SDGs). She has been fascinated by a fundamental strategic question: how firms survive and thrive in the face of disruption?
To provide distinctive answers, she draws on various lenses, including inter-organisational relationships, philosophy, and ecology, to conduct two interrelated streams of research: resilience and disruption. Her recent PhD thesis entitled ‘Exploring Organizational Resilience from an Inter-organizational Perspective: Relational Resilience based on Business Ecosystems in China’ has received research awards from both the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) and Durham University, UK. She is currently leading the ESRC UK Research and Innovation project on ‘Towards A Theory of Resilient Ecosystems: A System Approach to Organizational Resilience’ (ES/W005611/1) at Durham University.
She is co-author of a book, Organizing for Resilience: Leading and Managing Risk in a Disruptive World (Routledge), and a book chapter, Building Skilful Resilience amid Uncertainty, in the Palgrave Handbook of Corporate Sustainability in the Digital Era. She has published on resilience-related topics in a wide range of journals including the Journal of Sustainable Tourism, Management Consulting Journal, Thunderbird International Business Review, Continuity & Resilience Review, and International Journal of Management Education.
She serves on the Ustinov College Advisory Board at Durham University and is an active member at the Centre for Innovation and Technology Management, Institute for Hazard, Risk and Resilience, and Wolfs Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing, Durham University. Before starting her ESRC postdoctoral fellowship, she was a lecturer in the Strategy, Operations and Entrepreneurship Group at Essex Business School, Essex University, and founding Chair of the Doctoral Student Group (DSG) at the Centre for Innovation and Technology Management (CITM), Durham University and founding Chair of the Doctoral Society, Durham University Business School, UK.
She is an ESRC Postdoctoral Fellow at Durham University Business School and an incoming lecturer (Assistant Professor) at the University of York Management School, commencing in October 2022 under the Global Talent Scheme. She is a Fellow of Higher Education Authority (FHEA), UK. She also holds degrees from the University of St Andrews and the University of Shanghai for Science and Technology.
- Organizational Resilience
- Organizational Disruption
- Business Ecosystems
- Inter-organizational Relationships
- Ancient Chinese Philosophy
- Innovation and Technology Management
- Marketing and International Business
- Organisations and Society
- 2021: Research Incentivisation Award, Durham University:
- 2018: Doctoral Programme Director's Award, Durham University Business School:
- 2017: Durham Teaching and Learning Award, Durham University:
- 2017: Ustinov Honour: Outstanding Contribution PhD Student, Durham University: ;
Available for media contact about:
- Business matters:
- Business: Education and awareness:
- Entrepreneurship / SME:
- Small business management:
- Technology transfer:
- Williams, C & You, J. J (2021). Organizing For Resilience Leading and Managing Risk in a Disruptive World. Routledge.
- You, J. J & Williams, C (2019), Characterising inter-organisational relationships within organisational ecosystems: towards a new data structure, 33rd British Academy of Management (BAM) Conference. Birmingham, UK, British Academy of Management.
- You, J. J & Williams, C (2019), Inter-organizational relationships, innovation and resilience in Chinese business service firms, 30th Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics. New York.
- You, J. J & Vu, M. C (2019), How a Skillful Means approach contributes to organization resilience in a multi-level context, 35th European Group for Organizational Studies (EGOS) Colloquia. Edinburgh, UK.
- You, J. J & Williams, C (2019), Organizational resilience as permeating boundary-less capability across individual, organizational and inter-organizational levels, Organization and Management Theory (OMT) Workshop. Dubrovnik, Croatia, Academy of Management.
- You, J. J (2018), Resilience in Global Value Chains, 43rd European International Business Academy (EIBA) Conference. Milan, Italy.
- You, Jacqueline Jing & Williams, Christopher (2023). Organizational resilience and interorganizational relationships: An exploration of Chinese business service firms. European Management Review
- You, J. J. (2022). A 'Sensitising' Perspective on Understanding Students' Learning Experiences in Case Studies. The International Journal of Management Education 20(2): 100615.
- Williams, C, Conner, N & You, J. J (2021). Management Consultancy: the power to unleash natural capital thinking. Management Consulting Journal 9: 14-17.
- Takeshita, S, Lee, S. H, Williams, C & You, J. J (2021). Crisis, rigidity and nonliberal governance in Japan: the cases of Mitsubishi Motors and Kanebo. Continuity & Resilience Review ahead-of-print(ahead-of-print).
- Dilyard, J, Zhao, S & You, J. J (2021). Digital innovation and Industry 4.0 for global value chain resilience: Lessons learned and ways forward. Thunderbird International Business Review 63(5): 577-584.
- Williams, C, You, J. J & Spielmann, N (2020). Beyond the Coping Threshold: How External Pressure impacts Entrepreneurial Orientation in SMEs. Academy of Management Proceedings 2020(1): 17553.
- Williams, J & You, J. J (2018). Building resilience in client organisations: The Consultant's Challenge. Management Consulting Journal (2): 10-12.
A Top Global Business School
We are an international triple accredited business school. Sharing insights, supporting innovation and teaching tomorrow’s leaders. We combine our academic excellence, insightful research and exceptional global business connections, to equip our students to become innovative business thinkers.