|Associate Professor in Marketing in the Business School||A122|
Zhibin is Associate Professor in Marketing and Director for the MSc Marketing Programme in Durham University Business School. His research interests cover areas such as technology and innovation marketing; transport, travel and tourism management. He has published over 100 articles in international journals, books and conference proceedings, including Journal of Service Research, Annals of Tourism Research, Tourism Management, Journal of Travel Research, Journal of Business Research, Business Strategy and the Environment, Entrepreneurship and Regional Development.
Zhibin sits on the editorial board of Tourism Management, one of the Top Three academic journals in travel and tourism. He is also a member of the programme committee for the 46th Academy of Marketing Science Annual Conference (2022). He was the international chair for the 2021 China Maritime Economic Forum. Previously he was a co-chair of the 19th International Conference on Electronic Business, an affiliated conference of the Association of Information Systems (2019). He has recently co-edited a special issue, "Technology Strategies in Emerging Economies", for Technological Forecasting and Social Change (2021).
Zhibin is a recipient of the 2022 Faculty of Business Research Awards (for Research Rigour and Contribution to the Academic Discipline), the second prize of "Outstanding Research Achievements in Culture and Tourism" awarded by China Tourism Academy in 2021, and the Highly Commended Paper Award at the 2017 Emerald Literati Network Awards. He is also the recipient of two of the Academy of Marketing Annual Conferences’ best paper awards (2012 & 2016), and the best paper award in the 2017 Academy of International Business (AIB) Southeast Asia Regional Conference.
In recognition of his teaching excellence, Zhibin was nominated for the teaching awards of "Best Lecturer", "Best Use of Technology or Teaching Tools", and "Best International Student Support" at Northumbria. Before pursuing a career in academia, he has over 10 years' management experience in the airline industry.
Zhibin is Associate Professor in Marketing at Durham University Business School. His research covers a range of topics across several disciplines such as digital marketing, transport, travel and tourism management, and international business. Before pursuing a career in the academia, he has over 10 years' management experience in the airline industry.
- Application of new technology in marketing
- Technology user behaviour
- Transport, travel and tourism management
- Technology and innovation management
Chapter in book
- Quan, R. & Lin, Z. (2017). Factors Driving Firms from Emerging Countries into the Global Market: The Case of Chinese SMEs Entering the North East of England. In Outward Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Emerging Market Economies. Dorożyński, Tomasz & Kuna-Marszałek, Anetta Hershey, PA: IGI Global. 311-328.
- Lin, Z., Quan, R., Lau, C. & Ma, J. (2016). Customer perceived value of frequent flyer programmes: An empirical study of airline passengers in China. In Handbook of Research on Consumerism and Buying Behavior in Developing Nations. Gbadamosi, A. Hershey, PA: IGI Global. 30-52.
- Lau, M., Lin, Z., Boansi, D. & Ma, J. (2016). The lack of market integration in the Chinese beer and wine markets: Evidence from Stationarity Test. In Brewing, Beer and Pubs: A Global Perspective. Cabras, I., Higgins, D. & Preece, D. London: Palgrave Macmillan. 123-144.
- Yu, Qionglei Chaudhuri, Atanu Xiao, Sarah Fillieri, Raffaele & Lin, Zhibin (2022). Technological development, innovation and digital transformation in the post-pandemic era. Journal of Digital Economy, KeAi.
- Amankwah-Amoah, J., Debrah, Y. A., Yu, W. Lin, Z. Danso, A. & Adomako, S. (2021). Opening Editorial: Technology Strategies in Emerging Economies: Emerging Issues, Challenges and New Research Agenda. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 170 Elsevier.
- Yan, Shuangqi, Xiong, Yu, Lin, Zhibin & Zhou, Yu (2022). Flexible versus Committed and Specific versus Uniform: Wholesale Price Contracting in A Supply Chain with Downstream Process Innovation. International Transactions in Operational Research
- Filieri, Raffaele, Lin, Zhibin, Li, Yulei, Lu, Xiaoqian & Yang, Xingwei (2022). Customer Emotions in Service Robot Encounters: A Hybrid Machine-Human Intelligence Approach. Journal of Service Research
- Duan, Jinli Lin, Zhibin, Jiao, Feng, Jiang, Yixian & Chen, Kexing (2022). A Dynamic Case-based Reasoning System for Responding to Infectious Disease Outbreaks. Expert Systems With Applications 204: 117628.
- Gao, Ying, Zhang, Qing, Xu, Xiaofeng, Jia, Fu & Lin, Zhibin (2022). Service design for the destination tourism service ecosystem: A review and extension. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research 27(3): 225-245.
- Zuo, Zhigang & Lin, Zhibin (2022). Government R&D subsidies and firm innovation performance: The moderating role of accounting information quality. Journal of Innovation & Knowledge 7(2): 100176.
- Liao, Zhixue, Zheng, Weimin & Lin, Zhibin (2022). Time apart while together: A smart trip design for group travelers. Annals of Tourism Research 93: 103374.
- Han, S., Jia, X., Chen, X. Gupta, S., Kumar, A. & Lin, Z. (2022). Search well and be wise: A machine learning approach to search for a profitable location. Journal of Business Research 144: 416-427.
- Xu, Yonfei, Baranchenko, Yevhen, Lin, Zhibin, Wu, Qin & Arakpogun, Emmanuel (2022). How does the combination of factors influence entrepreneurs’ decision-making logic? A qualitative comparative analysis. Entrepreneurship Research Journal
- Duan, J., Lin, Z. & Jiao, F. (2021). A Game Model for Medical Service Pricing Based on the Diagnosis Related Groups. Frontiers in Public Health: Health Economics 9: 737788.
- Yang, C., Lin, Z., Huang, J. & Cheng, T. (2021). A Dynamic Tax Model Based on Destination Lifecycle for Sustainable Tourism Development. Journal of Travel Research
- Lu, X. & Lin, Z. (2021). COVID-19, economic impact, mental health and coping behaviors: A conceptual framework and future research directions. Frontiers in Psychology 12: 759974.
- Ji, H., Zheng, W. Zhuang, X. & Lin, Z. (2021). Explore for a day? Generating personalized itineraries that fit spatial heterogeneity of tourist attractions. Information & Management 58(8): 103557.
- Ai, X. Yang, J. Lin, Z. & Wan, X. (2021). Mental health and the role of physical activity during the COVID-19 pandemic. Frontiers in Psychology: Environmental Psychology 12: 759987.
- Zheng, W., Li, M., Lin, Z. & Zhang, Y. (2022). Leveraging tourist trajectory data for effective destination planning and management: A new heuristic approach. Tourism Management 89: 104437.
- Chen, Y. Lin, Z. Filieri, R. & Liu, R. (2021). Subjective well-being, mobile social media and the enjoyment of tourism experience: A broaden-and-build perspective. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research 26(10): 1070-1080.
- Filieri, R., Lin, Z., Pino, G., Alguezaui, S. & Inversini, A. (2021). The role of visual cues in eWOM on consumers’ behavioral intention and decisions. Journal of Business Research 135: 663-675.
- Zheng, W., Huang, L. & Lin, Z. (2021). Multi-attraction, hourly tourism demand forecasting. Annals of Tourism Research 90: 103271.
- Ghimire, B., Shanaev, S. & Lin, Z. (2022). Effects of official versus online review ratings. Annals of Tourism Research 92: 103247.
- Kargar, M. & Lin, Z. (2021). A Socially Motivating and Environmentally Friendly Tour Recommendation Framework for Tourist Groups. Expert Systems with Applications 180: 115083.
- Gozgor, G., Lau, C., Zeng, Y., Yan, C. & Lin, Z. (2022). The Impact of Geopolitical Risks on Tourism Supply in Developing Economies: The Moderating Role of Social Globalization. Journal of Travel Research 61(4): 872-886.
- Zheng, W., Zhuang, X., Liao, Z., Li, M. & Lin, Z. (2021). All roads lead to the places of your interest: An on-demand, ride-sharing visitor transport service. International Journal of Tourism Research 23(5): 871-880.
- Weng, L., Zhang, Q., Lin, Z. & Wu, L. (2021). Harnessing heterogeneous social networks for better recommendations: A grey relational analysis approach. Expert Systems With Applications 174: 114771.
- Liu, Xiaoqin, Baranchenko, Yevhen, An, Fansuo, Lin, Zhibin & Ma, Jie (2021). The impact of ethical leadership on employee creative deviance: the mediating role of job autonomy. Leadership & Organization Development Journal 42(2): 219-232.
- Eberhardt, Tim, Hubert, Marco, Lischka, Helena, Hubert, Mirja & Lin, Zhibin (2020). The role of subjective knowledge and perceived trustworthiness in fair trade consumption for fashion and food products. Journal of Consumer Marketing 38(1): 58-68.
- Zhang, Kun, Chen, Ye & Lin, Zhibin (2020). Mapping destination images and behavioral patterns from user-generated photos: a computer vision approach. Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research 25(11): 1199-1214
- Zhang, K., Lin, Z. & Zhang, J. (2021). Tourist gaze through computer vision: Differences between Asian, North American, and European tourists. Annals of Tourism Research 88: 103039.
- Liu, S, Eweje, G., He, Q. & Lin, Z. (2020). Turning motivation into action: A strategic orientation model for green supply chain management. Business Strategy and the Environment 29(7): 2908-2918.
- Xie, C., Huang, Q., Lin, Z. & Chen, Y. (2020). Destination risk perception, image and satisfaction: The moderating effects of public opinion climate of risk . Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management 44: 122-130.
- Zheng, W, Liao, Z & Lin, Z (2020). Navigating through the complex transport system: A heuristic approach for city tourism recommendation. Tourism Management 81: 104162.
- Chen, Y, Cottam, E & Lin, Z (2020). The effect of resident-tourist value co-creation on residents' well-being. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management 44: 30-37.
- He, H., Lin, Z. & Li, H. (2020). Key survival factors in the exhibition industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management 89: 102561.
- He, Chuantian, Baranchenko, Yevhen, Lin, Zhibin, Szarucki, Marek & Yukhanaev, Andrey (2020). From global mindset to international opportunities: the internationalization of Chinese SMEs. Journal of Business Economics and Management 21(4): 967-986.
- Jin, H., Lin, Z. & McLeay, F. (2020). Negative emotions, positive actions: Food safety and consumer intentions to purchase ethical food in China. Food Quality and Preference 85: 103981.
- Yuan, D, Lin, Z., Filieri, R., Liu, R. & Zheng, M. (2020). Managing the product-harm crisis in the digital era: The role of consumer online brand community engagement. Journal of Business Research 115: 38-47.
- Balmer, J.M.T. Lin, Z. Chen, W. & He, X. (2020). The role of corporate brand image for B2B relationships of logistics service providers in China. Journal of Business Research 117: 850-861.
- Zhang, X. Lin, Z. Liu, Y. Chen, X. & Liu, D.M. (2020). How do human resource management practices affect employee well-being? A moderated mediation model. Employee Relations 42(4): 903-919.
- Wen, J. Lin, Z., Liu, X. Xiao, S. H. & Li, Y. (2021). The interaction effects of online reviews, brand and price on consumer hotel booking decision making. Journal of Travel Research 60(4): 846-859.
- Xie, C., Zhang, J., Chen, Y., Morrison, A. & Lin, Z (2020). Measuring hotel employee perceived job risk: Dimensions and scale development. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 32(2): 730-748.
- Zeng, G., Cao, X., Lin, Z. & Xiao, S. (2020). When online reviews meet virtual reality: Effects on consumer hotel booking. Annals of Tourism Research 81: 102860.
- Baranchenko, Y., Xie, Y., Lin, Z., Lau, M.C.K. & Ma, J. (2020). Relationship between employability and turnover intention: The moderating effects of organizational support and career orientation. Journal of Management & Organization 26(2): 241-262.
- Yin, P, Lin, Z & Prideaux, B (2019). The impact of high-speed railway on tourism spatial structures between two adjoining metropolitan cities in China: Beijing and Tianjin. Journal of Transport Geography 80: 102495.
- Lin, Z., Cao, X. & Cottam, E. (2020). International networking and knowledge acquisition of Chinese SMEs: The role of global mind-set and international entrepreneurial orientation. Entrepreneurship and Regional Development 32(5-6): 449-465.
- Gozgor, G., Lau, C. Zeng, Y. & Lin, Z. (2019). The effectiveness of the legal system and inbound tourism. Annals of Tourism Research 76: 24-35.
- He, H., Li, C., Lin, Z. & Liang, S. (2019). Creating a high-performance exhibitor team: A temporary organization perspective. International Journal of Hospitality Management 81: 21-29.
- Lin, Z., You, K., Lau, C. & Demir, E. (2019). Segmenting global tourism markets: A panel club convergence approach. Annals of Tourism Research 75: 165-185.
- You, K., Dal Bianco, S., Lin, Z. & Amankwah-Amoah, J. (2019). Bridging technology divide to improve business environment: Insights from African nations. Journal of Business Research 97: 268-280.
- Xie, Y., Baranchenko, Y., Lin, Z., Lau, C.K. & Ma, J. (2019). The influences of transformational leadership on employee employability: Evidence from China. Employee Relations 41(1): 101-118.
- Filieri, R., Lin, Z., D'Antone, S. & Chatzopoulou, E. (2019). A cultural approach to brand equity: The role of brand mianzi and brand popularity in China. Journal of Brand Management 26(4): 376-394.
- Ma, J., Jiao, F., Lau, C. & Lin, Z. (2018). The relationships between shop floor management and QCCs to support Kaizen. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management 35(9): 1941-1955.
- Yang, C., Huang, J., Lin, Z., Zhang, D., Zhu, Y., Xu, X. & Chen, M. (2018). Evaluating the symbiosis status of tourist towns: The case of Guizhou Province, China. Annals of Tourism Research 72: 109-125.
- Yang, Yanqun, Easa, Said M., Lin, Zhibin & Zheng, Xinyi (2018). Evaluating Highway Traffic Safety: An Integrated Approach. Journal of Advanced Transportation 2018: 4598985.
- Lin, Z., Vlachos, I. & Ollier, J. (2018). Prioritizing destination attributes for optimal resource allocation: A study of Chinese tourists visiting Britain. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing 35(8): 1013-1026.
- Lin, Z. & Vlachos, I. (2018). An advanced analytical framework for improving customer satisfaction: A case of air passengers. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 114: 185-195.
- Filieri, R., Mcleay, F., Tsui, B. & Lin, Z. (2018). Consumer perceptions of information helpfulness and determinants of purchase intention in online consumer reviews of services. Information & Management 55(8): 956-970.
- Shi, X., Lin, Z., Liu, J. & Hui, Y. K. (2018). Consumer loyalty toward smartphone brands: The determining roles of deliberate inertia and cognitive lock-in. Information & Management 55: 866-876.
- Shan, S., Lin, Z., Li, Y. & Zeng, Y. (2018). Attracting Chinese FDI in Africa: the role of natural resources, market size and institutional quality. Critical Perspectives on International Business 14(2/3): 139-153.
- Jiang,Y. Sun, B. Li, G. Lin, Z. Zheng, C. & Shen, X. (2017). Highway Passenger Transport Based Express Parcel Service Network Design: Model and Algorithm. Journal of Advanced Transportation 2017: 1712325.
- Duan, J. Jiao, F. Zhang, Q. & Lin, Z. (2017). Predicting Urban Medical Services Demand in China: An Improved Grey Markov Chain Model by Taylor Approximation. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 14(8): 883.
- Xu, Y., Jin, W. & Lin, Z. (2018). Tourist post-visit attitude towards products associated with the destination country. Journal of Destination Marketing and Management 8: 179-184.
- Lin, Z., Chen, Y. & Filieri, R. (2017). Resident-tourist value co-creation: The role of residents’ perceived tourism impacts and life satisfaction. Tourism Management 61: 436-442.
- Ma, J. Lin, Z. & Lau, C. K. (2017). Prioritising the enablers for the successful implementation of Kaizen in China: a Fuzzy AHP study. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 34(4): 549-568.
- Xie, Y. Lin, Z. Baranchenko, Y. Lau, C. K. Yukhanaev, A. & Lu, H. (2017). Employability and job search behavior: A six-wave longitudinal study of Chinese university graduates. Employee Relations 39(2): 223-239.
- Filieri, R. & Lin, Z. (2017). The role of aesthetic, cultural, utilitarian and branding factors in young Chinese consumers' repurchase intention of smartphone brands. Computers in Human Behavior 67: 139-150.
- Yuan, D., Lin, Z. & Zhou, R. (2016). What drives consumer knowledge sharing in online travel communities?: Personal attributes or e-service factors? Computers in Human Behavior 63: 68-74.
- He, X., Lin, Z. & Wei, Y. (2016). International market selection and export performance: A transaction cost analysis. European Journal of Marketing 50(5/6): 916-941.
- He, R., Xiong, Y. & Lin, Z. (2016). Carbon emissions in a dual channel closed loop supply chain: the impact of consumer free riding behavior. Journal of Cleaner Production 134(Part A): 384-394.
- Oliveira, M., Huertas, M. & Lin, Z. (2016). Factors driving young users' engagement with Facebook: Evidence from Brazil. Computers in Human Behavior 54: 54-61.
- Lin, Z. & Filieri, R. (2015). Airline passengers’ continuance intention towards online check-in services: The role of personal innovativeness and subjective knowledge. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 81: 158-168.
- Chen, Y. & Lin, Z. (2018). Fashionability vis-à-vis rationality: investigating factors driving users’ e-tourism website stickiness. Current Issues in Tourism 21(1): 41-57.
- Lin, Zhibin, He, Guangren & Vlachos, Ilias P. (2015). Britain in bloom? A study into Chinese tourists’ experience. EuroMed Journal of Business 10(3): 297-310.
- Lin, Z. & He, X. (2015). The images of foreign versus domestic retailer brands in China: A model of corporate brand image and store image. Journal of Brand Management 22(3): 211-228.
- Lin, Z. & Bennett, D. (2014). Examining retail customer experience and the moderation effect of loyalty programmes. International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management 42(10): 929-947.
- Vlachos, I. & Lin, Z. (2014). Drivers of airline loyalty: Evidence from the business travelers in China. Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review 71: 1-17.
A Top Global Business School
We are an international triple accredited business school. Sharing insights, supporting innovation and teaching tomorrow’s leaders. We combine our academic excellence, insightful research and exceptional global business connections, to equip our students to become innovative business thinkers.