Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science is home to a diverse community of staff and students across eight academic Departments. Our inclusive, creative, and innovative research environment provides our students with an inspiring learning experience and enables us to produce world-leading research.
The Faculty of Science promotes multidisciplinary collaborative research crossing disciplinary boundaries through Research Institutes and Centres to create positive impacts for the North-East of England, the UK and across the globe (see below). Likewise, the faculty is making significant investment in research infrastructure, people and multidisciplinary research and teaching.
- Biophysical Sciences Institute
- Durham Energy Institute
- Institute for Computational Cosmology
- Institute for Data Science
- Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology
- Institute of Advanced Study
- Institute of Hazard, Risk and Resilience
- Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
- Advanced Instrumentation, Centre for
- Communications Systems, Centre for
- Crop Improvement Technology, Centre for
- Culture and Ecology, Centre for
- Durham Centre for Soft Matter
- Durham Geochemistry Centre
- Extragalactic Astronomy, Durham Centre for
- Innovation and Technology Management, Centre for
- Materials Physics, Centre for
- Molecular and Nanoscale Electronics, Centre for
- Neurodiversity & Development, Centre for
- Particle Theory, Centre for
- Quantum Light and Matter (QLM)
- Sustainable Chemical Processes, Centre in
- Vision and Visual Cognition, Centre for
- XRDur (Durham X-Ray Centre)
Science REF Impact Case Studies
How physics is transforming our household cleaning products
Our strategic partnership with Procter and Gamble (P&G) has enabled interdisciplinary research projects across experimental, computational and theoretical physics.
Durham Chemistry and P&G Strategic Partnership
Research from this partnership has "enabled unique and globally scalable innovation that has improved billions of consumers' lives around the world".
Explore the eight departments of the Faculty of Science
The Faculty of Science consists of eight departments, which are responsible for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching as well as research.
Find out more about each of our eight departments.
Research and Business at Durham
At Durham, our academic staff conduct boundary-breaking research which improves lives across the world. Collaboration with a broad mix of partners is central to enhancing global knowledge and developing global citizenship. We find it easy to be proud of the extraordinary people we have at Durham.