|Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology||RH003||+44 (0) 191 33 43272|
I am a social and organisational psychologist with business and academic experience. Before beginning my PhD, I worked for Deloitte (consulting). During this period, I worked with a variety of clients from different industries in developing and improving their HR strategies. This experience now informs my research in organisational psychology and consultancy work.
I joined Durham University as an Assistant Professor in Social/ Organisational Psychology in June 2019. Previously, I was a Lecturer in Social and Organisational Psychology and a Research Associate at the University of Kent, and a Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Roehampton.
I continue my collaborative work with the University of Kent, where I am currently an Honorary Lecturer.
My research interests focus on areas of leadership, identity, and social inclusion and exclusion of individuals and groups across different contexts.
Current research projects include:
- Leadership and employee well-being
- Social identity, health, and well-being
- Gender and ethnic bias in organisations
- Speciesism and moral inclusion of animals
- Sustainability and pro-environmental behaviour
Chapter in book
- Dhont, K., Hodson, G., Leite, A.C. & Salmen, A. (2019). The Psychology of Speciesism. In Why We Love and Exploit Animals: Bridging Insights from Academia and Advocacy. Dhont, K. & Hodson, G. Routledge.
- Hughes, J. P., Efstratiou, A., Komer, S. R., Baxter, L. A., Vasiljevic, M. & Leite, A. C. (2022). The impact of risk perceptions and belief in conspiracy theories on COVID-19 pandemic-related behaviours. PLOS ONE 17(2): e0263716.
- Weick, M., Couturier, L.-C., Vasiljevic, M., Ross, P., Cory, C.J., Crisp, R.J., Leite, A.C., Marcinko, A.J., Nguyen, T.T. & Van de Vyver, J. (2022). Building bonds: A pre-registered secondary data analysis examining linear and curvilinear relations between socio-economic status and communal attitudes. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology
- Van de Vyver, Julie, Leite, Ana C. & Alwan, Nisreen A. (2021). Navigating the social identity of long covid. British Medical Journal 375: n2933.
- Abrams, D., Lalot, F., Hopthrow, T., Templeton, A., Steeden, B., Özkeçeci, H., Imada, H., Warbis, S., Sandiford, D., Meleady, R., Fell, E., Abrams, Z., Abrams, A., Ngan, X. Q., Celina, S., Tanyeri, A., Gammon, M., Abrams, B., Fischer, L., Drysdale, S., Dewi, R., Leite, A. C., Mills, A. & Peckham, S. (2021). Cleaning up our acts: Psychological interventions to reduce engine idling and improve air quality. Journal of Environmental Psychology 74: 101587.
- Marques, A.G., Pinto, I.R., Leite, A.C., Randsley de Moura, G., van Prooijen, J.-W. & Marques, J.M. (2021). “A Right to Lead” The Role of Leader Legitimacy on Group Reactions to Transgressive Leadership. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 51(4): 350-362.
- Edwards, M.R., Leite, A.C., Randsley de Moura, G. & Marques, A.G. (2022). Let’s talk about Brexit: Intra-organizational communication, citizenship status, procedural justice and job insecurity in a context of potential immigration threat. The International Journal of Human Resource Management 33(5): 1037-1064.
- Tresh, Fatima, Steeden, Ben, Randsley de Moura, Georgina, Leite, Ana C., Swift, Hannah J. & Player, Abigail (2019). Endorsing and Reinforcing Gender and Age Stereotypes: The Negative Effect on Self-Rated Leadership Potential for Women and Older Workers. Frontiers in Psychology 10: 688.
- Player, Abigail, Randsley de Moura, Georgina, Leite, Ana C., Abrams, Dominic & Tresh, Fatima (2019). Overlooked Leadership Potential: The Preference for Leadership Potential in Job Candidates Who Are Men vs. Women. Frontiers in Psychology 10: 755.
- Jolley, Daniel, Douglas, Karen M., Leite, Ana C. & Schrader, Tanya (2019). Belief in conspiracy theories and intentions to engage in everyday crime. British Journal of Social Psychology 58(3): 534-549.
- Player, A., Abrams, D., Van de Vyver, J., Meleady, R., Leite, A.C., Randsley de Moura, G. & Hopthrow, T. (2018). “We aren’t idlers” Using subjective group dynamics to promote prosocial driver behavior at long‐wait stops. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 48(11): 643-648.
- Leite, Ana C., Dhont, Kristof & Hodson, Gordon (2019). Longitudinal effects of human supremacy beliefs and vegetarianism threat on moral exclusion (vs. inclusion) of animals. European Journal of Social Psychology 49(1): 179-189.
- Randsley de Moura, G., Leicht, C., Leite, A. C., Crisp, R. J. & Gocłowska, M. A. (2018). Leadership Diversity: Effects of Counterstereotypical Thinking on the Support for Women Leaders under Uncertainty. Journal of Social Issues 74(1): 165-183.
- Van de Vyver, J., Leite, A.C., Abrams, D. & Palmer, S.B. (2018). Brexit or bremain? A person and social analysis of voting decisions in the EU referendum. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology 28(2): 65-79.
- Leite, Ana C., Cardoso, Sónia G. Marques, André G. & Morais, Catarina (2017). Believing is adapting: Belief in a just world and emigrants’identification and satisfaction with the host country /Creer esadaptarse: Creer en un mundo justo y la identificación ysatisfacción de los emigrantes con el país de acogida. Revista de Psicología Social / International Journal of Social Psychology 32(2): 424-439
- Meleady, R., Abrams, D., Van de Vyver, J., Hopthrow, T., Mahmood, L., Player, A., Lamont, R. & Leite, A.C. (2017). Surveillance or self-surveillance? Behavioral cues can increase the rate of drivers' pro-environmental behavior at a long wait stop. Environment and Behavior 49(10): 1156-1172.
- Dhont, Kristof, Hodson, Gordon & Leite, Ana C. (2016). Common Ideological Roots of Speciesism and Generalized Ethnic Prejudice: The Social Dominance Human–Animal Relations Model (SD‐HARM). European Journal of Personality 30(6): 507-522.
- Douglas, Karen M. & Leite, Ana C. (2017). Suspicion in the workplace: Organizational conspiracy theories and work-related outcomes. British Journal of Psychology 108(3): 486-506.
- Lins, Samuel Lincoln Bezerra Lins, Campos, Miguel, Leite, Ana C., Carvalho, Catarina L., Cardoso, Sónia & Natividade, Jean Carlos (2016). Evidências de validade da Escala de Orientação para a Comparação Social (INCOM) para o contexto de adolescentes portugueses. PSICOLOGIA 30(1): 1-14.
- Leite, Ana C., Pinto, Isabel R. & Marques, José M. (2016). Do Ambiguous Normative Ingroup Members Increase Tolerance for Deviants? Swiss Journal of Psychology 75(1): 47-52.
- Van de Vyver, J. & Leite, A.C. (2019). Story-telling and Prejudice: A practical indirect intervention for reducing prejudice against Asylum Seekers and Refugees among adults in the UK.