|Member of the Institute for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies|
Betul Dogan Akkas is a PhD candidate at joint degree program between Qatar University Gulf Studies Center and Durham University School of Government and International Affairs. She receive also her MA degree with the thesis titled “Securitization of Qatari Foreign Policy” at Qatar University. Dogan Akkas completed her BA in International Relations at Bilkent University. Following her undergraduate studies, she conducted field research on in Jenin, Palestine. Her research interests include foreign policymaking, security and social transformation of the Gulf Countries. She is a member of The Middle East Studies Association (MESA) and The Association for Gulf and Arabian Peninsula Studies (AGAPS).
- Foreign Policy
- the Gulf States
- State-society relations
- Dogan Akkas, B. (2021). Book Review - Turkish-Saudi Relations: Cooperation and Competition in the Middle East. Global Policy
- Dogan Akkas, B. (2021). Unfulfilled aspirations: middle power politics in the Middle East. International Affairs
- Dogan-Akkas, B. (2020). Book Review - Fraternal Enemies: Israel and the Gulf Monarchies. Global Policy
- Dogan-Akkas, B. (2020). Qatar and the Gulf Crisis by Kristian Coates Ulrichsen. LSE Review of Books
- Dogan Akkas, Betul (2019). Yemen and the Gulf States: The Making of a Crisis. Insight Turkey 21(1).
- Akkas, Betul Dogan (2019). Rentier Islamism: The Influence of the Muslim Brotherhood in Gulf Monarchies. Middle East Policy 26(2): 159.
- Dogan Akkas, Betul (2017). The United Arab Emirates: Power, Politics, and Policymaking. Journal of Arabian Studies 7(2): 308.
Chapter in book
- Zweiri, M. & Dogan Akkas, B. (2020). Underlined Vulnerabilities of the Gulf Region: A New Understanding. In The 2017 Gulf Crisis: An Interdisciplinary Approach. Zweiri, Mahjoob, Rahman, Md Mizanur, Eldin Gaf Abbas & Arwa Kamal Springer Singapore. 21-34.
- Dogan Akkas, B. & Camden, G. (2020). Political Culture in Qatar: State-Society Relations and National Identity in Transformation. In Gulf Cooperation Council Culture and Identities in the New Millennium Resilience, Transformation, (Re)Creation and Diffusion. Karolak, M. & Allam, N. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Dogan Akkas, B. (2018). Birlesik Arap Emirlikleri Ulusal Guvenligi: Kapasite Insasindan Mudahalecilige. In Ortadoğu'da Ulusal Güvenlik Stratejileri. Kurt, V. SETA Yayinlari.
- Dogan Akkas, B. (2018). Katar Ulusal Guvenligi: Yumusak Politikalar ve Onleyici Pragmatizm. In Ortadogu’da Ulusal Guvenlik Stratejileri. Kurt, V. Seta Yayinlari.
- Dogan-Akkas, B. (2021). A Securitization Approach to Qatar’s Foreign Policy Making. Asian Journal of Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies 15(4): 536-553.
- Dogan-Akkas, Betul (2020). The UAE’s foreign policymaking in Yemen: from bandwagoning to buck-passing. Third World Quarterly 1.
- Dogan Akkas, Betul (2018). Re-Approaching Food Security of Qatar: Challenges and Possibilities. Ortadoğu Etütleri 10(2): 68-90.
- Dogan-Akkas, B. & Camden, G. (Published). The Political Culture in Qatar: Beyond the Rentier State.
- Dogan Akkas, B. (2021). Will Qatar Return to a Mediator Role in the Yemen Conflict?
- Dogan Akkas, B. (2021). What does the breakthrough in the GCC crisis mean for Turkey?
- Dogan-Akkas, B. (2020). Covid-19 in War-Ravaged Yemen: Ends or doubles the war? Qatar University Gulf Studies Center.