Dr Brandon Hurlbert
Lecturer in Hebrew Bible/Old Testament
|Lecturer in Hebrew Bible/Old Testament in the Department of Theology and Religion|
Brandon Hurlbert (Ph.D., Durham University) is a lecturer in Hebrew Bible/Old Testament at Durham University. His doctoral dissertation explored the possibilities of reading the book of Judges as Christian Scripture. He is a research associate at the Centre for the Study of the Bible and Violence and a co-host on the Two Cities Podcast. His other research interests include the Bible and Film and the reception history of the Bible.
- Book of Judges
- Deuteronomistic History
- Violence and the Bible
- Hurlbert, Brandon (Published). YHWH and Israel in the Book of Judges: An Object‐Relations Analysis. Reviews in Theology and Religion (26).
- Hurlbert, Brandon (2022). The Bible and the Ballot: Using Scripture in Political Decisions. Reviews in Theology and Religion (28).
- Hurlbert, Brandon (2020). René Girard and the Nonviolent God, Scott Cowdell, University of Notre Dame Press, 2018 (ISBN 978‐0‐268‐10453‐5). Reviews in Religion & Theology 27(4): 496-498.
- Hurlbert, Brandon (2020). The Book of Exodus. Reviews in Theology and Religion (27).
Chapter in book
- Hurlbert, Brandon (2022). Once Upon a Time in Persia: The Ethics of Violence in the Book of Esther and Quentin Tarantino’s Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. In Map or Compass? The Bible on Violence. Paynter, Helen & Spalione, Michael Sheffield Phoenix Press.
- Hurlbert, Brandon (2022). Alternate Eyes: Perspective Shifting in the Samson Narrative and Black Mirror. In Black Mirror and Theology. Bowen, Amber & Dunne, John Anthony Lexington Books/Fortress Academic.
- Hurlbert, Brandon (2022). Taking the Absurdity Seriously: Questioning the Complicity of YHWH in Judges 20-21. In Violent Biblical Texts: New Approaches. Paynter, Helen & Laurence, Trevor Sheffield Phoenix Press.
- Hurlbert, Brandon (2022). Beyond Texts of Terror: Emerging Feminist Scholarship on Judges 19. Didaktikos: Journal of Theological Education
- Hurlbert, Brandon M. (2020). Cut & Splice: Reading Judges 19 Cinematically. Biblical Interpretation 1.