|Assistant Professor (Research) in the Department of Geography||401|
|Assistant Professor (Research) of Hazards and Surface Change||401|
|Assistant Professor (Research) of Sea Level, Ice and Climate||401|
2018 - 2021: Leverhulme Early Career Research Fellow, Durham University
2018: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Durham University
2016 - 2017: PhD - Durham University
2016: Postdoctoral Research Associate, National Oceanography Centre Southampton
2013 - 2016: PhD - National Oceanography Centre Southampton
2012 - 2013: MPhil - Polar Studies, Scott Polar Research Institute
2009 - 2012: BA - Geography, University of Cambridge
I am a marine geologist interested in submarine mass movements including turbidity currents, debris flows and submarine landslides.
My research has mainly focussed on understanding the frequency and triggering mechanisms of these sediment density flows and quantification of the geohazard potential they pose. To achieve this I use a combination of field measurements, sedimentary deposits and records of damage to subsea infrastructure. These records have been used to identify the role of earthquakes, tropical cyclones, dilute river plumes, sea level change and ice sheet sedimentation as triggers of these flows in different areas around the world.
Using direct measurements of these flows, I also seek to understand what governs their dynamics and evolution. For example, is runout distance controlled by the initial failure volume or are flows such as turbidity currents driven by dense basal layers and is it the presence of these layers that allows flows to self-accelerate and runout for thousands of kilometres.
I also have an interest in the relationship between ice sheets and different types of submarine mass movements, particularly how the interplay between these processes can impact continental margin evolution.
- Frequency and triggers of submarine mass movements
- Submarine geohazards
- Ice sheet processes and histories
- Casalbore, D., Clare, M.A., Pope, E.L., Quartau, R., Bosman, A., Chiocci, F.L., Romagnoli, C. & Santos, R. (2021). Bedforms on the submarine flanks of insular volcanoes: New insights gained from high resolution seafloor surveys. Sedimentology 68(4): 1400-1438.
- Simmons, S.M., Azpiroz-Zabala, M., Cartigny, M.J.B., Clare, M.A., Cooper, C., Parsons, D.R., Pope, E.L., Sumner, E.J. & Talling, P.J. (2020). Novel acoustic method provides first detailed measurements of sediment concentration structure within submarine turbidity currents. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 125(5): e2019JC015904.
- Heerema, Catharina J., Talling, Peter J., Cartigny, Matthieu J., Paull, Charles K., Bailey, Lewis, Simmons, Stephen M., Parsons, Daniel R., Clare, Michael A., Gwiazda, Roberto, Lundsten, Eve, Anderson, Krystle, Maier, Katherine L., Xu, Jingping P., Sumner, Esther J., Rosenberger, Kurt, Gales, Jenny, McGann, Mary, Carter, Lionel & Pope, Edward (2020). What determines the downstream evolution of turbidity currents? Earth and Planetary Science Letters 532: 116023.
- Hage, Sophie, Cartigny, Matthieu J.B., Sumner, Esther J., Clare, Michael A., Hughes Clarke, John E., Talling, Peter J., Lintern, D. Gwyn, Simmons, Stephen M., Silva Jacinto, Ricardo, Vellinga, Age J., Allin, Joshua R., Azpiroz‐Zabala, Maria, Gales, Jenny A., Hizzett, Jamie L., Hunt, James E., Mozzato, Alessandro, Parsons, Daniel R., Pope, Ed L., Stacey, Cooper D., Symons, William O., Vardy, Mark E. & Watts, Camilla (2019). Direct monitoring reveals initiation of turbidity currents from extremely dilute river plumes. Geophysical Research Letters 46(20): 11310-11320.
- Yin, Shaoru, Lin, Lin, Pope, Ed L., Li, Jiabiao, Ding, Weifeng, Wu, Ziyin, Ding, Weiwei, Gao, Jinyao & Zhao, Dineng (2019). Continental slope-confined canyons in the Pearl River Mouth Basin in the South China Sea dominated by erosion, 2004–2018. Geomorphology 344: 60-74.
- Pope, Ed L., Normandeau, Alexandre, Cofaigh, Colm Ó., Stokes, Chris R. & Talling, Peter J. (2019). Controls on the formation of turbidity current channels associated with marine-terminating glaciers and ice sheets. Marine Geology 415: 105951.
- Pope, Ed L., Jutzeler, Martin, Cartigny, Matthieu J. B., Shreeve, James, Talling, Peter J., Wright, Ian C. & Wysoczanski, Richard J. (2018). Origin of spectacular fields of submarine sediment waves around volcanic islands: distinguishing eruption-fed supercritical flow bedforms from slope failures. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 493: 12-24.
- Pope, Ed L., Talling, Peter J. & Ó Cofaigh, Colm (2018). The relationship between ice sheets and submarine mass movements in the Nordic Seas during the Quaternary. Earth-Science Reviews 178: 208-256.
- Pope, E. L., Talling, P. J., Carter, L., Clare, M. A. & Hunt, J. E. (2017). Damaging sediment density flows triggered by tropical cyclones. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 458: 161-169.
- Pope, E. L., Talling, P. J. & Carter, L. (2017). Which earthquakes trigger damaging submarine mass movements: Insights from a global record of submarine cable breaks? Marine Geology 384(1): 131-146.
- Azpiroz-Zabala, Maria, Cartigny, Matthieu, Talling, Peter, Parsons, Daniel, Sumner, Esther, Clare, Michael, Simmons, Stephen, Cooper, Cortis & Pope, Ed (2017). Newly recognized turbidity current structure can explain prolonged flushing of submarine canyons. Science Advances 3(10): e1700200.
- Gavey, R., Carter, L., Liu, J. T., Talling, P. J., Hsu, R. T., Pope, E. & Evans, G. (2016). Frequent sediment density flows fromed by different triggering mechanisms: observations from subsea cable breaks in the Gaoping Canyon-Manila Trench, Taiwan. Marine Geology 384: 147-158.
- Willis, I. C., Pope, E. L., Leysinger Vieli, G. J. M. C., Arnold, N. S. & Long, S. (2016). Drainage networks, lakes and water fluxes beneath the Antarctic ice sheet. Annals of Glaciology 57(72): 96-108.
- Pope, E. L., Willis, I. C., Pope, A., Miles, E. S., Arnold, N. S. & Rees, W. G. (2016). Contrasting snow and ice albedos derived from MODIS, Landsat ETM+ and airborne data from Langjökull, Iceland. Remote Sensing of Environment 175: 183-195.
- Allin, J. R., Hunt, J. E., Talling, P. J., Clare, M. A., Pope, E. & Masson, D. G. (2016). Different frequencies and triggers of canyon filling and flushing events in Nazaré Canyon, offshore Portugal. Marine Geology 371: 89-105.
- Pope, E.L., Talling, P.J., Hunt, J.E., Dowdeswell, J.A., Allin, J.R., Cartigny, M.J.B., Long, D., Mozzato, A., Stanford, J.D., Tappin, D.R. & Watts, M. (2016). Long-term record of Barents Sea Ice Sheet advance to the shelf edge from a 140,000 year record. Quaternary Science Reviews 150: 55-66.
- Pope, E. L., Talling, P. J., Urlaub, M., Hunt, J. E., Clare, M. A. & Challenor, P. (2015). Are large submarine landslides temporally random or do uncertainties in available age constraints make it impossible to tell? Marine Geology 369: 19.
- Talling, Peter J., Allin, Joshua, Armitage, Dominic A., Arnott, Robert W. C., Cartigny, Matthieu J. B., Clare, Michael A., Felletti, Fabrizio, Covault, Jacob A., Girardclos, Stephanie, Hansen, Ernst, Hill, Philip R., Hiscott, Richard N., Hogg, Andrew J., Clarke, John Hughes, Jobe, Zane R., Malgesini, Giuseppe, Mozzato, Alessandro, Naruse, Hajime, Parkinson, Sam, Peel, Frank J., Piper, David J. W., Pope, Ed, Postma, George, Rowley, Pete, Sguazzini, Andrea, Stevenson, Christopher J., Sumner, Esther J., Sylvester, Zoltan, Watts, Camilla & Xu, Jingping (2015). Key future directions for research on turbidity currents and their deposits. Journal Of Sedimentary Research 85(2): 153-169.
- Talling, P. J., Clare, M. A., Urlaub, M., Pope, E., Hunt, J. E. & Watt, S. F. L. (2014). Large submarine landslides on continental slopes. Oceanography 27(2): 32.