|Lecturer in Human Geography in the Department of Geography||210||+44 (0) 191 33 41938|
- 2021: Best Dissertation Prize, Economic Geography Specialty Group, American Association of Geographers:
- 2021: Knowledge Network Representative, United Nations, Office of the Special Adviser on Africa:
- 2019: Best Social Protection Papers of the Year, Tech and Financial Inclusion, World Bank Blogs:
Chapter in book
- James, D, Neves, D & Torkelson, E (Accepted). Savings, investment, borrowing: A South African perspective on thrift. In Thrift. Alexander, C & Sosna, D Berghahn.
- Torkelson, Erin (2022). Deserving and Undeserving Welfare States: Cash Transfers and Hegemonic Struggles in South Africa. Journal of Southern African Studies 48(1): 43 - 60.
- Torkelson, Erin (2021). Sophia’s choice: Debt, social welfare, and racial finance capitalism. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 39(1): 67.
- Torkelson, Erin (2020). Collateral damages: Cash transfer and debt transfer in South Africa. World Development 126: 104711.
- Torkelson, E, James, D & Neves, D (2020). Legal but reckless: Lending to social grant recipients. Ground Up
- Torkelson, E (2017). Sophia's Choice: Farm worker has to decide which child to feed. Ground Up
- Torkelson, E (2017). Deductions from social grants: How it all works. Ground Up
- Torkelson, E (2017). The World Bank's role in SA's social grants payment system. Ground Up
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Philander, E, Crawford Cousins, C, Abrahams, J & Torkelson, E (2018). Grant grabs: Social grants and the EasyPay card.
- Senona, E, Torkelson, E & Zembe, W (2021). Social protection in a time of Covid: Lessons for a basic income support.
- Marchant, M May, A, Torkelson, E & Mathe, Z (2021). Digital Profiteers: Who Profits Next?
- James, D, Neves, D & Torkelson, E (2020). Social grants: Challenging reckless lending in South Africa.