|Lecturer in Theology and Ministry in the Department of Theology and Religion||Etchells House B8a||+44 (0) 191 33 43949|
|Assistant Professor in Theology and Ministry in the Common Awards Team||0191 33 43949|
My post is part of the Common Awards partnership between Durham University and the Church of England. Through this partnership the University validates Common Awards qualifications in Theology, Ministry and Mission offered by the Church in colleges and courses across the country. A key part of my work is the development of collaborative research into the nature of theological education.
My other main research interests are Anglican thought and theology and the arts, especially drama. Current work in progress includes a monograph on the theology and dramatic works of Dorothy L. Sayers (1893-1957) and a study of the representation of resurrection in the theatre and in theology.
Prior to arriving in Durham in September 2014, I was a Research Associate and Affiliated Lecturer in the Faculty of Divinity at the University of Cambridge, where I taught modern Christian theology. At Cambridge I also worked within the Cambridge Inter-faith Programme (CIP) helping to co-ordinate projects with Jewish, Christian and Muslim community leaders and scholars.
Lead supervisor -
Kevin Antlitz: Drama and Bodily Formation in the Eucharist and in Mission
Andy Kinsey: Pneumatological Pedagogy and Receptivity in Theological Education for Ministry
Kathryn Naylor: The Ascension in Theology and Art
Kathryn Goldsmith: Prayer Book Ritual Practices
Lu Skerratt: Queer Priestly Presence and the B/body of Christ at the Eucharist
Recently Completed -
Enya Doyle: 'Let My Voice be Heard: Barriers to Gender Diversity and Inclusion in Anglican Cathedral Music' (2020)
David Merrill: 'Divine Allurement: Beauty in the Theological Vision of Thomas Traherne' (2017)
Adam Shaeffer: 'Spiritual Formation in Tolkien’s Legendarium' (2017)
- Theology and the Arts
- Modern Christian Theology
- Worship and Liturgy
- Theological Education
- Theology and the Body
- Sexuality and Marriage
- Anglican Theology
Available for media contact about:
- Theology: Contemporary use of arts in the Christian Church
- Theology: Christian Drama
- Clemson, Frances (Forthcoming). Showing Forth God's Act in History: Theology and Drama in the Work of Dorothy L. Sayers. Bloomsbury T&T Clark.
Chapter in book
- Clemson, Frances (2020). Plays. In The Oxford Handbook of Christmas. Larsen, Timothy Oxford University Press.
- Clemson, Frances (2019). Doing Justice to the Past: Time, Drama and Peacebuilding. In Peacebuilding and the Arts. Culbertson, Hal, Hawksley, Theodora, Mitchell, Jolyon & Vincentt, Giselle Palgrave Macmillan.
- Clemson, Frances (2016). Taking Time Over Marriage: Tradition, History and Time in Recent Debates. In Thinking Again About Marriage: Key Theological Questions. Bradbury, John & Cornwall, Susannah SCM.
- Ford, David F. & Clemson, Frances (2013). Interreligious Reading After Vatican II: Scriptural Reasoning, Comparative Theology and Receptive Ecumenism. Directions in Modern Theology. Wiley-Blackwell.