|Associate Professor in the Department of Computer Science||MCS 1028||+44 (0) 191 33 44299|
|Member of the Centre for Vision and Visual Cognition|
Frederick Li received both a Bachelor of Arts (Honors) in Computing Studies and a Master of Philosophy from The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, and a Ph.D. degree in Computer Graphics from City University of Hong Kong. He is currently an Associate Professor at University of Durham. Prior to the current appointment, he was an Assistant Professor at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University from 2003 to 2006, and had been the project manger of a Hong Kong Government Innovation and Technology Fund (ITF) funded project. Frederick Li has served as an Associate Editor of International Journal of Distance Education Technologies and a Guest Editor of three of its special issues. In addition, he has also served as a Program Co-chair of ISVC 2021, ICWL 2007/2008/2013/2015 and IDET 2008-2009. He also served as a Workshop Co-chair of ICWL 2009 and U-Media 2009, a Publicity Co-Chair of ACM MTDL 2010 and U-Media 2010, and a Local Co-Chair of BMVC 2018.
In the department, he has served as Chair of Board of Examiners of both UG and PGT Programmes, PGT Programme Director, and Chair of Taught Postgraduate Management Committee (CS and Engineering).
|Graphics Modeling and Transmission|
|Remote Rendering and Perceptual Quality Assessment|
|Coloring and Beautification|
|Student Performance Analytics|
|Papers published from supervised undergraduate projects|
- Computer Graphics
- Virtual Reality
- Graphics Modeling and Transmission
- Collaborative Virtual Environment
- Educational Technologies
- Innovative Computing
- Conference Organization:
- Program Co-Chair (Computer Graphics), ISVC '2021
- Local Co-Chair, BMVC '2018
- Publicity Co-Chair, ACM MM MTDL '2010
- Publicity Co-Chair, IEEE U-Media '2010
- Workshop Co-Chair, ICWL '2009
- Workshop Co-Chair, IEEE JCPC '2009
- Program Co-Chair, IDET '2008, '2009
- Program Co-Chair, ICWL '2007, '2008, ;'2013, ;'2015
- Journal Editorialships:
- Associate Editor (Communications Technologies), International Journal of Distance Education Technologies (JDET), (since 2007)
- Editorial Review Board Member, International Journal of Cyber Ethics in Education (IJCEE), (since 2009)
Chapter in book
- Yang, Fang, Li, Frederick W. B. & Lau, Rynson W. H. (2012). Learning Path Construction Based on Association Link Network. In Advances in Web-Based Learning - ICWL 2012: Proceedings of 11th International Conference, Sinaia, Romania, September 2-4, 2012. Popescu, Elvira, Li, Qing, Klamma, Ralf, Leung, Howard & Specht, Marcus Springer. 7558: 120-131.
- Zhou, Kanglei, Cheng, Zhiyuan, Shum, Hubert P. H., Li, Frederick W. B. & Liang, Xiaohui (2021), STGAE: Spatial-Temporal Graph Auto-Encoder for Hand Motion Denoising, IEEE International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality (ISMAR) 2021. Bari, Italy, IEEE.
- Wang, Xiaochuan, Wang, Kai, Yang, Bailin, Li, Frederick W.B. & Liang, Xiaohui (2019), Deep Blind Synthesized Image Quality Assessment with Contextual Multi-Level Feature Pooling, 2019 IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP). Taipei, Taiwan, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 435-439.
- Almushyti, Muna & Li, Frederick W. B. (2019), Recognising Human-Object Interactions Using Attention-based LSTMs, in Vidal, Franck P., Tam, Gary K. L. & Roberts, Jonathan C. eds, Computer Graphics and Visual Computing (CGVC). Bangor University, United Kingdom, Eurographics Association, 135-139.
- Cen, Yunchi, Liang, Xiaohui, Chen, Junping, Yang, Bailin & Li, Frederick W. B. (2018), Modeling Detailed Cloud Scene from Multi-source Images, in Fu, Hongbo, Ghosh, Abhijeet & Kopf, Johannes eds, Pacific Graphics. Hong Kong, Eurographics Association, 49-52.
- Lin, Xianxuan, Wang, Xun, Li, Frederick W. B, Yang, Bailin, Zhang, Kaili & Wei, Tianxiang (2018), Image recoloring for home scene, ACM SIGGRAPH International Conference on Virtual-Reality Continuum and its Applications in Industry (VRCAI '18). Tokyo, Japan, ACM, New York, Article No. 29.
- Watson, Christopher & Li, Frederick W. B. (2014), Failure rates in introductory programming revisited, in Cajander, Åsa, Daniels, Mats Clear, Tony & Pears, Arnold eds, 2014 conference on Innovation & technology in computer science education (ITiCSE). Uppsala, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), New York, 39-44.
- Watson, Christopher, Li, Frederick W. B. & Godwin, Jamie L. (2014), No Tests Required: Comparing Traditional and Dynamic Predictors of Programming Success, in Dougherty, J. D., Nagel, Kris, Decker, Adrienne & Eiselt, Kurt eds, 45th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE '14). Atlanta GA, Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), New York, 469-474.
- Watson, Christopher, Li, Frederick W. B. & Godwin, Jamie L. (2013), Predicting Performance in an Introductory Programming Course by Logging and Analyzing Student Programming Behavior, 2013 IEEE 13th International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies. Beijing, IEEE Computer Society, Piscataway, NJ, 319-323.
- Watson, Christopher, Li, Frederick W. B. & Godwin, Jamie L. (2012), BlueFix: Using Crowd-sourced Feedback to Support Programming Students in Error Diagnosis and Repair, in Popescu, Elvira, Li, Qing, Klamma, Ralf, Leung, Howard & Specht, Marcus eds, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 7558: 11th International Conference on Advances in Web-Based Learning. Sinaia, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 228-239.
- Zheng, Qingzheng, Li, Frederick Li & Lau, Rynson (2010), Sketching-Based Skeleton Generation, 2010 3rd IEEE International Conference on Ubi-Media Computing (U-Media 2010). Jinhua, China, IEEE, Piscataway, 179-186.
- Yang, Fan, Li, Frederick & Lau, Rynson (2009), Active Contour Projection for Mesh Segmentation, IEEE Joint Conferences on Pervasive Computing (JCPC). Taipei, Taiwan, IEEE, Piscataway, 865-874.
- Li, Frederick, Li, Lewis & Lau, Rynson (2004), Supporting Continuous Consistency in Multiplayer Online Games, 12th ACM International Conference on Multimedia. New York, USA, ACM, New York, 4.
- Li, Frederick, Lau, Rynson & Kilis, Danny (2004), GameOD: An Internet Based Game-On-Demand Framework, in Lau, Rynson & Baciu, George eds, ACM symposium on Virtual reality software and technology. Hong Kong, ACM Press, 8.
- Li, Frederick W. B., Klamma, R., Laanpere, M., Zhang, J., Manjón, B.F. & Lau, Rynson W. H. (2015). Advances in Web-Based Learning - ICWL 2015. LNCS. Springer.
- Hu, Shanfeng, Shum, Hubert P.H., Liang, Xiaohui, Li, Frederick W.B. & Aslam, Nauman (2021). Facial reshaping operator for controllable face beautification. Expert Systems with Applications 167: 114067.
- Hu, Shanfeng, Liang, Xiaohui, Shum, Hubert P.H., Li, Frederick W.B. & Aslam, Nauman (2020). Sparse Metric-based Mesh Saliency. Neurocomputing 400: 11-23.
- Lin, Xianxuan, Wang, Xun, Li, Frederick W. B., Li, Jinyu, Yang, Bailin, Zhang, Kaili & Wei, Tianxiang (2020). Example-based Image Recoloring in Indoor Environment. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds 31(2): e1917.
- Zhang, Zili, Ma, Yue, Li, Yunfei, Li, Frederick W. B., Shum, Hubert P. H., Yang, Bailin, Guo, Jing & Liang, Xiaohui (2020). Cumuliform Cloud Formation Control using Parameter-Predicting Convolutional Neural Network. Graphical Models 111: 101083.
- Hu, Shanfeng, Shum, Hubert, Aslam, Nauman, Li, Frederick W.B. & Liang, Xiaohui (2020). A Unified Deep Metric Representation for Mesh Saliency Detection and Non-rigid Shape Matching. IEEE Transactions on Multimedia 22(9): 2278-2292.
- Zhang, Zili, Li, Yunfei, Yang, Bailin, Li, Frederick W. B. & Liang, Xiaohui (2020). Target‐driven cloud evolution using position‐based fluids. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds 31(6).
- Yang, Bailin, Jiang, Zhaoyi, Shangguan, Jiantao, Li, Frederick W.B., Song, Chao, Guo, Yibo & Xu, Mingliang (2019). Compressed Dynamic Mesh Sequence for Progressive Streaming. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds 30(6): e1847.
- Wang, Xiaochuan, Liang, Xiaohui, Yang, Bailin & Li, Frederick W. B. (2019). No-reference synthetic image quality assessment with convolutional neural network and local image saliency. Computational Visual Media 5(2): 193-208.
- Yang, Bailin, Wei, Tianxiang, Fang, Xianyong, Deng, Zhigang, Li, Frederick W. B., Ling, Yun & Wang, Xun (2019). A Color-Pair Based Approach for Accurate Color Harmony Estimation. Computer Graphics Forum 38(7): 481-490.
- Yang, Bailin, Zhang, Luhong, Li, Frederick W.B., Xiaoheng, Jiang, Zhigang, Deng, Wang, Meng & Xu, Mingliang (2019). Motion-aware Compression and Transmission of Mesh Animation Sequences. ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology 10(3): 25.
- Yang, Fan & Li, Frederick W.B. (2018). Study on student performance estimation, student progress analysis, and student potential prediction based on data mining. Computers & Education 123: 97-108.
- Wang, Xiaochuan, Liang, Xiaohui, Yang, Bailin & Li, Frederick W.B. (2018). Scalable Remote Rendering using Synthesized Image Quality Assessment. IEEE Access 6: 36595-36610.
- Zhang, Zili, Liang, Xiaohui, Yuan, Chunqiang & Li, Frederick W.B. (2017). Modeling Cumulus Cloud Scenes from High-resolution Satellite Images. Computer Graphics Forum 36(7): 229-238.
- Yang, Bailin, Wang, Xun, Li, Frederick W.B., Xie, Binbo, Liang, Xiaohui & Jiang, Zhaoyi (2016). 3D Mesh Compression and Transmission for Mobile Robotic Applications. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems 13: 9.
- Yang, Bailin, Li, Frederick W. B., Wang, Xun, Xu, Mingliang, Liang, Xiaohui, Jiang, Zhaoyi & Jiang, Yanhui (2016). Visual saliency guided textured model simplification. The Visual Computer 32(11): 1415-1432.
- Lau, Rynson W. H., Yen, Neil Y., Li, Frederick W. B. & Wah, Benjamin (2014). Recent development in multimedia e-learning technologies. World Wide Web 17(2): 189-198.
- Yang, Fan, Li, Frederick W. B. & Lau, Rynson W. H. (2014). A Fine-Grained Outcome-Based Learning Path Model. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics: Systems 44(2): 235-245.
- Chan, Addison & Li, Frederick W. B. (2013). Utilizing Massive Spatiotemporal Samples for Efficient and Accurate Trajectory Prediction. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing 12(12): 2346-2359.
- Willcocks, Chris G. & Li, Frederick W.B. (2012). Feature-Varying Skeletonization. The Visual Computer 28(6-8): 775-785.
- Li, Frederick, Lau, Rynson, Kilis, Danny & Li, Lewis (2011). Game-On-Demand: An Online Game Engine based on Geometry Streaming. ACM Transactions on Multimedia Computing, Communications, and Applications 7(3): 19.
- Zheng, Qingzheng & Li, Frederick (2011). A Mobile Environment for Sketching-based Skeleton Generation. World Wide Web 14(3): 261-279.
- Li, Frederick, Lau, Rynson & Dharmendran, Parthiban (2010). An Adaptive Course Generation Framework. International Journal of Distance Education Technologies 8(3): 74-85.
- Li, Frederick, Zhao, Jianmin, Lam, Beta & Lau, Rynson (2009). An Efficient Method for Simulating Flexible Connectors. Journal of Multimedia 4(2): 94-100.
- Li, Qing, Lau, Rynson, Leung, Elvis, Li, Frederick, Lee, Victor, Wah, Benjamin W. & Ashman, Helen (2009). Emerging Internet Technologies for E-Learning. IEEE Internet Computing 13(4): 11-17.
- Li, Qing, Lau, Rynson, Shih, Timothy & Li, Frederick (2008). Technology Supports for Distributed and Collaborative Learning over the Internet. ACM Transactions on Internet Technology 8(2): 10.
- Yang, Bai-Lin, Li, Frederick, Pan, Zhigeng & Wang, Xun (2008). An Effective Error Resilient Packetization Scheme for Progressive Mesh Transmission over Unreliable Networks. Journal of Computer Science and Technology 23(6): 1015-1025.
- Li, Frederick, Lau, Rynson, Komura, Taku, Wang, Meng & Siu, Becky (2007). Adaptive Animation of Human Motion for e-Learning Applications. Int'l Journal of Distance Education Technologies 5(2): 74-85.
- Li, Lewis, Li, Frederick & Lau, Rynson (2006). A Trajectory-Preserving Synchronization Method for Collaborative Visualization. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics 12(5): 989-996.
- Cheung, Gary, Lau, Rynson & Li, Frederick (2006). Efficient Rendering of Deformable Objects for Real-time Applications. Computer Animation and Virtual Worlds 17(1): 69-81.
- Ng, Beatrice., Lau, Rynson W. H., Si, Antonio. & Li, Frederick. (2005). Multi-server support for large scale distributed virtual environments. IEEE transactions on multimedia 7(6): 1054-1065.
- Lau, Rynson, Li, Frederick, Kunii, Tosiyasu, Guo, Baining, Zhang, Bo, Magnenat-Thalmann, Nadia, Kshirsagar, Sumedha, Thalmann, Daniel & Gutierrez, Mario (2003). Emerging Web Graphics Standards and Technologies. IEEE Computer Graphics & Applications 66-75.
- Li, Frederick., Lau, Rynson W. H. & Ng, Frederick. (2003). VSculpt a distributed virtual sculpting environment for collaborative design. IEEE transactions on multimedia 5(4): 570-580.
- Li, F. & Lau, R. (1999). Incremental polygonization of deforming NURBS surfaces. Journal of Graphics Tools 4(4): 37-50.
- Li, Frederick, Lau, Rynson & Green, Mark (1997). Interactive Rendering of Deforming NURBS Surfaces. Computer Graphics Forum 16(3): 47-56.