|Associate Professor in the Department of Sport and Exercise Sciences|
|Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing|
I am an Associate Professor in Sport and Exercise Sciences, Department Chair of the Board of Examiners and Chair of the Faculty SS&H Ethics Committee.
My research evaluates imaging applications for bone and body composition assessment. This research informs best practice guidance for densitometry in athletes and clinical populations, and has established the first DXA reference ranges for visceral fat mass. My work in this field also includes writing the recent British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences (BASES) guidelines for the Application of DXA in sport science. I have served on Board of Directors for the International Society for Clinical Densitometry (ISCD) which is the global organisation for excellence in densitometry and I am the current Chair of the ISCD Body Composition Education Committee.
Another major focus of my research is current and retired athlete health. Specific topics include bone health and physique assessment (underpinned by imaging methodological work outlined above), the prevention and management of sports injuries and developing evidence-based models for athlete health in retirement.
I lead the first independent study into the health of retired professional and community-level rugby players (UK Rugby Health Project) and co- lead the Global Rugby Health Research Network of researchers from over 9 countries. This research seeks to improve understanding of the short and long term risks from injury in rugby, identifying intervention strategies, with the overall objective of improving player welfare. A major focus is concussion injury and this work contributes to the Wolfson Brain, Body and Behaviour Challenge Academy. Our interdisciplinary research programme into concussion and post concussion syndrome addresses causes, mechanisms, and solutions.
I provide consultancy in the sport and exercise, and imaging fields, and enjoy engaging with developing and established SMEs, and global companies. Current external partnerships include GE Healthcare, My Sports Wellbeing, Conka Elite and Newcastle Falcons.
I welcome interest and applications for postgraduate study in areas relating to the above research.
Specific projects available in 2022:
- Clinical utility of total body DXA scans for the prediction of bone mineral density at the lumbar spine and hip in athletes
- External impact loading and body composition
- Acute and long term sub-concussion biomarkers
Current postgraduate programmes of research: DXA methodologies -body composition and sports performance - visceral fat - load monitoring and recovery in sport - concussion, sub concussion and post concussion syndrome - female athlete triad and RED-S - retired athletes. Recent/current cross-departmental projects include collaborations with Archaeology, Biosciences, Computer Sciences and Psychology.
- DXA and QCT imaging
- Bone health
- Athlete health
- Body composition and visceral fat
- Sport injuries
- Healthy Communities
- 2020: CoreScanTM Visceral Adipose Tissue for Cardiometabolic Risk Stratification & Evaluation and Practical Utility of the Total Body-Less Head Application(£134873.12 from )
- 2020: Associate Member of the Sports Performance Research Institute of New Zealand (SPRINZ):
- 2020: Chair of the ISCD Body Composition Education Committee:
- 2020: Co-Lead of the SPRINZ Rugby Codes Interdisciplinary Research Group:
- 2019: Board of Directors, International Society for Clinical Densitometry:
- 2018: Adjunct Associate Professor. School of Medicine, Trinity College Dublin, University of Dublin:
- 2018: Chair of the ISCD UK-Ireland Panel:
- 2011: Honorary Research Fellow, Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University:
Available for media contact about:
- Medical and health research topics:
- Public policy, health and well-being:
Chapter in book
- Hind K (Accepted). Bone Health in Athletes. In Fractures in Sport. Robertson, G & Maffulli, N Springer.
- Hind, K. (2022). Application of dual energy X-ray absorptiometry. In Sport and Exercise Physiology Testing Guidelines: Volume I - Sport Testing The British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences Guide. Davison, R. Smith, P., Hopker, J. Price, M. Hettinga, F. Tew, G. & Bottoms, L. London: Routledge. 1.
- Forsyth, Jacky & Hind, Karen (2018). Bone Health and the Exercising Female. In The Exercising Female: Science and Its Application. Forsyth, Jacky & Roberts, Claire-Marie Abingdon, Oxon New York, NY: Routledge. 85-99.
- Entwistle, I., Lees, M., Francis, P., Hume, P. & Hind, K. (Accepted). Lean mass, muscle strength and quality in retired rugby players: UK Rugby Health Project. International Journal of Sports Medicine
- King, D., Hume, P., Clark, T. & Hind, K. (Accepted). Match and training injury incidence in rugby league: A systematic review, pooled analysis, and update on published studies . Sports Medicine and Health Science
- McHugh, C, Hind, K, O'Halloran, A, Davey, D, Farrell, G & Wilson, F (Accepted). Body mass and body composition changes over 7 years in a male professional rugby union team. International Journal of Sports Medicine
- Yang, Q. Dong, Y., Wang, L., Li, K. Liang, W. Zhang, W., Liu, YD. Min, XL. Blake, G. Konerth, N., Cheng, X. Tian, W. & Hind, K. (2022). Muscle fat infiltration but not muscle cross-sectional area is independently associated with bone mineral density at the lumbar spine. British Journal of Radiology
- Xu, L. Zhao, Q. Li, K., Zhang, Y. Wang, C. Hind, K. Wang, L. Liu, Y. & Cheng, X. (2022). The role of sex hormones on bone mineral density, marrow adiposity, and muscle adiposity in middle-aged and older men. Frontiers in Endocrinology 13: 817418.
- King, D., Hume, P., Hind, K., Clark, N. & Hardaker, N. (2022). The incidence, cost, and burden of concussion in women’s rugby league and rugby union: A systematic review and pooled analysis. Sports Medicine
- Hind, K, Konerth, N, Entwistle, I, Hume, P, Theadom, A, Lewis, G, King, D, Goodbourn, T, Bottiglieri1, M, Ferraces-Riegas, P Ellison, A & Chazot, P (2021). Mental health and wellbeing of retired elite and amateur rugby players and non-contact athletes and associations with sports-related concussion: the UK Rugby Health Project. Sports Medicine
- Casper, S, Bachynski, K, Buckland, M, Comrie, D, Gandy, S Gates, J, Goldberg, D, Henne, K Hind, K, Morrison, D Ortega, F Pearce, AJ Philpott-Jones, S, Sandel, E Tatos, T, Taylor, R Tucker, S & Finkel, A (2021). Toward Complete, Candid, and Unbiased International Consensus Statements on Concussion in Sport. The Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics 49(3): 372-377.
- Xu, Zhengyang, Liu, Yandong, Yan, Chengxi, Yang, Ruopei, Xu, Li, Guo, Zhe, Yu, Aihong, Cheng, Xiaoguang, Ma, Lin, Hu, Chunhong, Guglielmi, Giuseppe & Hind, Karen (2021). Measurement of visceral fat and abdominal obesity by single-frequency bioelectrical impedance and CT: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open 11(10).
- McHugh, C., Hind, K., O'Halloran, A., Davey, D., Farrell, G. & Wilson, F. (2021). Body Mass and Body Composition Changes over 7 Years in a Male Professional Rugby Union Team. International Journal of Sports Medicine
- Zhao, Y, Lin, K, Wang, L, Yu, X, Tang, J, Zhang, Y, Li, Z, Hind, K, Blake, G & Cheng, X (2021). Accuracy, Linearity and Precision of Spine QCT vBMD Phantom Measurements for Different Brands of CT Scanner: A Multicentre Study. Journal of Clinical Densitometry
- Entwistle, I, Hume, P, Francis, P & Hind, K (2021). Vertebral anomalies in retired rugby players and the impact on bone density calculation of the lumbar spine. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 24(2): 200-205.
- Farley, Ava, Slater, Gary & Hind, K (2021). Short Term Precision Error of Body Composition Assessment Methods in Resistance Trained Male Athletes". International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 31(1): 55-65.
- Xiaoguang, C., Kai Ping, Z., Xiaojuan, Z., Xia, D., Yongli, L., Shuang, C., Yan, W., Shao Lin, L., Yong, L., Yuqin, Z., Xigang, X., YueHua, L., Xiao, M., Xiangyang, G., Wei, C., Yingying, Y., Jun, J., Bairu, C., Yinru, L., Jianbo, G., Guo Bin, H., Yaling, P., Yan, Y., Hiujuan, Q., Limei, R., Jian, Z., Ling, W., Kai, L., Haihong, F., Jing, W., Shiwei, L., Blake, G.M., Pickhardt, P., Yuanzheng, M., Xiaoxia, F., Shengyong, D., Qiang, Z., Zhiping, G., Hind, K. & Wei, T (2021). Opportunistic screening using low-dose CT and the prevalence of osteoporosis in China: a nation-wide, multicenter study. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 36(3): 427-435.
- Wang, Ling, Ran, Limei, Zha, Xiaojuan, Zhao, Kaiping, Yang, Yingying, Shuang, Qing, Liu, Yandong, Hind, Karen, Cheng, Xiaoguang & Blake, Glen M. (2020). Adjustment of DXA BMD measurements for anthropometric factors and its impact on the diagnosis of osteoporosis. Archives of Osteoporosis 15(1): 155.
- McHugh, C., Hind, K., Wyse, J., Davey, D. & Wilson, F. (2021). Increases in DXA-derived visceral fat across one season in professional rugby union players: importance of visceral fat monitoring in athlete body composition assessment. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 24(2): 206-213.
- Yin, Lu, Xu, Zhengyang, Wang, Ling, Li, Wei, Zhao, Yue, Su, Yongbin, Sun, Wei, Liu,Yangdong Yang, Mingbui, Yu, Aibong, Blake, Glen M, Wu, Xingbao, Veldhuis-Vlug,Annegreet, Cheng, Xiaoguang, Hind, Karen & Engelke, Klaus (2020). Associations of muscle size and density with proximal femur bone in a community dwelling older population. Frontiers in Endocrinology, Section - Bone Research 11: 503.
- Hind, Karen, Konerth, Natalie, Entwistle, Ian, Lewis, Gwyn, Theadam, Alice & Chazot, Paul (2020). Cumulative sport‑related injuries and longer term impact in retired male elite‑ and amateur‑level rugby code athletes and non‑contact athletes a retrospective study. Sports Medicine 50(11): 2051-2061.
- McHugh, Cliodhna, Hind, Karen, Cunningham, Joyce, Davey, Daniel & Wilson, Fiona (2020). A career in sport does not eliminate risk of cardiovascular disease; A systematic review and meta-analysis of the cardiovascular health of field-based athletes. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 23(9): 792-799.
- Sharma, A., Hind, K. Hume, P., Singh, J. & Neary, P. (2020). Neurovascular Coupling by Functional Near Infra-Red Spectroscopy and Sport-Related Concussion in Retired Rugby Players: The UK Rugby Health Project. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 14: 42.
- King, Doug, Hume, Patria, Hind, Karen & Clark, Trevor (2019). Effect of Selective Head-Neck Cooling on Signs and Symptoms of Sport Originated Brain Injury in Amateur Sports: A Pilot Study. Biomedical Journal of Scientific and Technical Research
- Zemski, Adam J., Keating, Shelley E., Broad, Elizabeth M., Marsh, Damian J., Hind, Karen, Walters, Kylie J. & Slater, Gary J. (2020). Differences in visceral adipose tissue and biochemical cardiometabolic risk markers in elite rugby union athletes of Caucasian and Polynesian descent. European Journal of Sport Science 20(5): 691-702.
- Hillier, Matthew, Sutton, Louise, James, Lewis, Mojtahedi, Dara, Keay, Nicola & Hind, Karen (2019). High Prevalence and Magnitude of Rapid Weight Loss in Mixed Martial Arts Athletes. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 29(5): 512-517.
- Thornley, Isobel, Hynd, Jason, Stein, Stella, Butterworth, Mathew, Hind, Karen & Francis, Peter (2019). A new approach to the classification of muscle health: preliminary investigations. Physiological Measurement 40(8): 085001.
- Forsyth, J., Evans, A., Hind, K., Paskins, Z. & Babatunde, O. (2020). Exercise interventions for preventing and treating low bone mass in the forearm: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 101(3): 487-511.
- McHugh, Cliodhna, Wilson, Fiona, Hind, Karen & Davey, Daniel (2019). Cardiovascular health of retired field-based athletes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Orthopaedic journal of sports medicine 7(8): 2325967119862750.
- Swainson, Michelle Grace Batterham, Alan Mark & Hind, Karen (2020). Age- and Sex-Specific Reference Intervals for Visceral Fat Mass in Adults. International Journal of Obesity 44(2): 289-296.
- Hind, K, Hayes, L, Basterfield, L, Pearce, M S & Birrell, F (2020). Objectively-measured sedentary time, habitual physical activity and bone strength in adults aged 62 years: the Newcastle Thousand Families Study. Journal of Public Health 42(2): 325-332.
- Hind, Karen & Oldroyd, Brian (2020). Bone mineral density precision for individual and combined vertebrae configurations from lumbar spine dual energy X-ray absorptiometry scans. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 23(4): 673-677.
- Keay, Nicola Francis, Gavin Entwistle, Ian & Hind, Karen (2019). Clinical evaluation of education relating to nutrition and skeletal loading in competitive male road cyclists at risk of relative energy deficiency in sports (RED-S): 6-month randomized controlled trial. BMJ Open Sport and Exercise Medicine 5(1): e000523.
- Butterworth, Mathew, Lees, Matthew, Harlow, Paul, Hind, Karen, Duckworth, Lauren & Ispoglou, Theocharis (2019). Αcute effects of essential amino acid gel-based and whey protein supplements on appetite and energy intake in older women. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism 44(11): 1141-1149.
- O'Sullivan, Ian, Johnson, Mark, Hind, Karen, Breen, Sarah & Francis, Peter (2019). Are changes in running economy associated with changes in performance in runners? A systematic review. Journal of Sport Sciences
- Lees, Matthew J. Wilson, Oliver J. Hind, Karen & Ispoglou, Theocharis (2019). Muscle quality as a complementary prognostic tool in conjunction with sarcopenia assessment in younger and older individuals. European Journal of Applied Physiology 119: 1171.
- Zemski, A.J.,, Keating, S.E., Broad, E.M., Marsh, D.J., Hind, K. & Slater, G.J. (2019). Preseason Body Composition Adaptations in Elite White and Polynesian Rugby Union Athletes. International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism 29(1): 9-17.
- Rudman, Harry, Birrell, Fraser, Pearce, Mark, Tuck, Stephen, Francis, Roger & Hind, Karen (2019). Obesity, bone density relative to body weight and prevalent vertebral fracture at age 62 years: the Newcastle Thousand Families Study. Osteoporosis International 30(4): 829-836.
- Zemski, Adam, Hind, Karen, Keating, Shelley, Broad, Elizabeth, Marsh, Damian & Slater, Gary (2019). Same-day versus consecutive-day precision error of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry for interpreting body composition change in resistance trained athletes. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 22(1): 104-114.
- Jones, Ashley, Jones, Gareth, Greig, Neil, Bower, James, Brown, James, Hind, Karen & Francis, Peter (2019). Epidemiology of Injury in English Professional Football Players: a cohort study. Physical Therapy in Sport 35: 18-22.
- Keay, N., Francis, G. & Hind, K. (2018). Low energy availability assessed by a sport-specific questionnaire and clinical interview indicative of bone health, endocrine profile and cycling performance in competitive male cyclists. BMJ Open Sport and Exercise Medicine 4(1): e000424.
- Hind, K., Slater, G., Oldroyd, B., Lees, M., Thurlow, S., Barlow, M. & Shepherd, J. (2018). Interpretation of Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry-Derived Body Composition Change in Athletes: A Review and Recommendations for Best Practice. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 21(3): 429-443.
- Thurlow, S., Taylor-Covill, G., Sahota, P., Oldroyd, B. & Hind, K. (2018). Effects of procedure, upright equilibrium time, sex and BMI on the precision of body fluid measurements using bioelectrical impedance analysis. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 72(1): 148-153.
- Oldroyd, B., Treadgold, L. & Hind, K. (2018). Cross Calibration of the GE Prodigy and iDXA for the Measurement of Total and Regional Body Composition in Adults. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 21(3): 383-393.
- Lees, M.J., Beggs, C.B., Barlow, M.J., Rutherford, Z.H., Bansil, K., Gannon, L. & Hind, K. (2018). Bone Density and Cross-sectional Geometry of the Proximal Femur Are Bilaterally Elevated in Elite Cricket Fast Bowlers. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 21(3): 399-405.
- Swainson, M.G., Batterham, A.M., Tsakirides, C., Rutherford, Z.H. & Hind, K. (2017). Prediction of whole-body fat percentage and visceral adipose tissue mass from five anthropometric variables. PLoS ONE 12(5): e0177175.
- Thurlow, S., Oldroyd, B. & Hind, K. (2018). Effect of Hand Positioning on DXA Total and Regional Bone and Body Composition Parameters, Precision Error, and Least Significant Change. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 21(3): 375-382.
- Francis, P., Lyons, M., Piasecki, M., Mc Phee, J., Hind, K. & Jakeman, P. (2017). Measurement of muscle health in aging. Biogerontology 18(6): 901-911.
- Hind, K., Pearce, M. & Birrell, F. (2017). Total and Visceral Adiposity Are Associated With Prevalent Vertebral Fracture in Women but Not Men at Age 62 Years: The Newcastle Thousand Families Study. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 32(5): 1109-1115.
- Jones, B., Till, K., Roe, G., O’Hara, J., Lees, M., Barlow, M.J. & Hind, K. (2018). Six-year body composition change in male elite senior rugby league players. Journal of Sports Sciences 36(3): 266-271.
- Thurlow, S., Oldroyd, B. & Hind, K. (2017). Scan Mode Selection on the GE-Lunar iDXA Densitometer. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 20(4): 533.
- Hind, K. (2016). Sedentary Time and Central Adiposity in Children. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 19(3): 264-265.
- Lees, M.J., Oldroyd, B., Jones, B., Brightmore, A., O'Hara, J.P., Barlow, M.J., Till, K. & Hind, K. (2017). Three-Compartment Body Composition Changes in Professional Rugby Union Players Over One Competitive Season: A Team and Individualized Approach. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 20(1): 50-57.
- Jones, B., Emmonds, S., Hind, K., Nicholson, G., Rutherford, Z. & Till, K. (2016). Physical qualities of international female rugby league players by playing position. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 30(5): 1333-1340.
- Lees, M.J., Bansil, K. & Hind, K. (2016). Total, regional and unilateral body composition of professional English first-class cricket fast bowlers. Journal of Sports Sciences 34(3): 252-258.
- Till, K., Jones, B., O'Hara, J., Barlow, M., Brightmore, A., Lees, M. & Hind, K. (2016). Three-compartment body composition in academy and senior rugby league players. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance 11(2): 191-196.
- Jones, B., Till, K., Barlow, M., Lees, M., O'Hara, J.P. & Hind, K. (2015). Anthropometric and three-compartment body composition differences between super league and championship rugby league players: Considerations for the 2015 season and beyond. PLoS ONE 10(7): e0133188.
- Ispoglou, T., White, H., Preston, T., McElhone, S., McKenna, J. & Hind, K. (2016). Double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot trial of L-Leucine-enriched amino-acid mixtures on body composition and physical performance in men and women aged 65–75 years. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 70(2): 182-188.
- Barlow, M.J., Oldroyd, B., Smith, D., Lees, M.J., Brightmore, A., Till, K., Jones, B. & Hind, K. (2015). Precision Error in Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry Body Composition Measurements in Elite Male Rugby League Players. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 18(4): 546-550.
- Hind, K., Gannon, L., Brightmore, A. & Beck, B. (2015). Insights into relationships between body mass, composition and bone: Findings in elite rugby players. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 18(2): 172-178.
- Oldroyd, B., Robinson, M., Lindley, E., Rhodes, L. & Hind, K. (2015). Resonant cavity perturbation: A promising new method for the assessment of total body water in children. Physiological Measurement 36(12): 2503-2517.
- Hind, K., Birrell, F. & Beck, B. (2014). Prevalent morphometric vertebral fractures in professional male rugby players. PLoS ONE 9(5): e97427.
- Hind, K., Jones, B. & King, R.F.G.J. (2014). Re: BONE: An acute buffer of plasma sodium during exhaustive exercise? Hormone and Metabolic Research 46(11): 819-820.
- Mellis, M.G., Oldroyd, B. & Hind, K. (2014). In vivo precision of the GE Lunar iDXA for the measurement of visceral adipose tissue in adults: The influence of body mass index. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 68(12): 1365-1367.
- Hind, K. & Johnson, M.I. (2014). Complex regional pain syndrome in a competitive athlete and regional osteoporosis assessed by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry: A case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports 8(1).
- Hind, K., Torgerson, D., McKenna, J., Ashby, R., Daly-Smith, A., Truscott, J., MacKay, H. & Jennings, A. (2014). Developing interventions for children's exercise (DICE): A pilot evaluation of school-based exercise interventions for primary school children aged 7 to 8 years. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 11(4): 699-704.
- Rhodes, L.A., Cooper, W., Oldroyd, B. & Hind, K. (2014). Cross-calibration of a GE iDXA and Prodigy for Total andRegional Body Bone Parameters: The Importance of Using Cross-calibration Equations for Longitudinal Monitoring AfteraSystem Upgrade. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 17(4): 496-504.
- Hind, K., Cooper, W., Oldroyd, B., Davies, A. & Rhodes, L. (2015). A cross-calibration study of the GE-lunar iDXA and prodigy for the assessment of lumbar spine and total hip bone parameters via three statistical methods. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 18(1): 86-92.
- Hind, K. & Oldroyd, B. (2015). Incidental Findings With Cross Calibration of the GE Prodigy and iDXA Densitometers. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 18(4): 561-563.
- Hind, K. & Oldroyd, B. (2013). In-vivo precision of the GE Lunar iDXA densitometer for the measurement of appendicular and trunk lean and fat mass. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 67(12): 1331-1333.
- Hind, K., Oldroyd, B., Prajapati, A. & Rhodes, L. (2012). In Vivo Precision of Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry-Derived Hip Structural Analysis in Adults. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 15(3): 302-307.
- Hind, K., Gannon, L., Whatley, E. & Cooke, C. (2012). Sexual dimorphism of femoral neck cross-sectional bone geometry in athletes and non-athletes: A hip structural analysis study. Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism 30(4): 454-460.
- Hind, K., Gannon, L., Whatley, E., Cooke, C. & Truscott, J. (2012). Bone cross-sectional geometry in male runners, gymnasts, swimmers and non-athletic controls: A hip-structural analysis study. European Journal of Applied Physiology 112(2): 535-541.
- Hind, K., Oldroyd, B. & Truscott, J.G. (2011). In vivo precision of the GE Lunar iDXA densitometer for the measurement of total body composition and fat distribution in adults. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 65(1): 140-142.
- Harley, J.A., Hind, K. & O'Hara, J.P. (2011). Three-compartment body composition changes in elite rugby league players during a super league season,measured by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 25(4): 1024-1029.
- Hind, K., Zanker, C. & Truscott, J. (2011). Five-year follow-up investigation of bone mineral density by age in premenopausal elite-level long-distance runners. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine 21(6): 521-523.
- Hind, K., Oldroyd, B. & Truscott, J.G. (2010). In vivo precision of the GE Lunar iDXA densitometer for the measurement of total-body, lumbar spine, and femoral bone mineral density in adults. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 13(4): 413-417.
- Lloyd, R., Hind, K., Micklesfield, L.K., Carroll, S., Truscott, J.G., Parr, B., Davies, S. & Cooke, C. (2010). A pilot investigation of load-carrying on the head and bone mineral density in premenopausal, black African women. Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism 28(2): 185-190.
- Lloyd, R., Hind, K., Micklesfield, L.K., Carroll, S., Truscott, J.G., Parr, B., Davies, S. & Cooke, C. (2010). Erratum: A pilot investigation of load-carrying on the head and bone mineral density in premenopausal, black African women (Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism DOI: 10.1007/s00774-009-0113-3). Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism 28(2): 191.
- Lloyd, R., Hind, K., Parr, B., Davies, S. & Cooke, C. (2010). The Extra Load Index as a method for comparing the relative economy of load carriage systems. Ergonomics 53(12): 1500-1504.
- Hind, K., Truscott, J.G. & Conway, S.P. (2008). Exercise during childhood and adolescence: A prophylaxis against cystic fibrosis-related low bone mineral density? Exercise for bone health in children with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 7(4): 270-276.
- Hind, K., Truscott, J. & Carroll, S. (2008). Case report: Female athlete triad in monozygotic twins. Physician and Sportsmedicine 36(1): 119-124.
- Hind, K. (2008). Recovery of bone mineral density and fertility in a former amenorrheic athlete. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 7(3): 415-418.
- Zanker, C. & Hind, K. (2007). The effect of energy balance on endocrine function and bone health in youth. Medicine and Sport Science 51: 81-101.
- Hind, K. & Burrows, M. (2007). Reply to letter to the editor re: "Weight-bearing exercise and bone mineral accrual in children and adolescents: A review of controlled trials" Bone 2007 40:14-27. Bone 41(5): 906-907.
- Hind, K. & Burrows, M. (2007). Weight-bearing exercise and bone mineral accrual in children and adolescents: A review of controlled trials. Bone 40(1): 14-27.
- Hind, K., Truscott, J.G. & Evans, J.A. (2006). Low lumbar spine bone mineral density in both male and female endurance runners. Bone 39(4): 880-885.