|Assistant Professor in the Department of Sport and Exercise Sciences||+44 (0) 191 33 46837|
|Fellow of Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing|
I am an Associate Professor in Sport and Exercise Sciences. I am also Chair of the Board of Examiners and Chair of the Faculty SS&H Ethics Committee.
My research evaluates dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DXA) imaging and novel applications for bone and body composition assessment. This research informs best practice guidance for DXA scanning in athletes and clinical populations, and has established the first reference ranges for DXA visceral fat. I am a Director for the International Society for Clinical Densitometry (ISCD) which is the global organisation for excellence in densitometry. I also the Chair of the ISCD UK panel and of the Body Composition Education Committee.
Another major focus of my research examines athlete health which is essential for successful sports performance and career longevity. Specific topics are athlete bone health and the prevention and management of sports injuries, notably concussion. I lead the first independent study into the health of retired rugby players (UK Rugby Health Project) and I co lead the Global Rugby Health Research Network of researchers from over 9 countries. This research seeks to improve understanding of the short and long term risks of injuries in rugby, identifying intervention strategies, with the overall objective of improving athlete welfare.
Understanding the potential of new research discoveries, I engage with developing and leading SMEs and global companies including GE Healthcare. Current external partnerships also include Newcastle Falcons.
I welcome interest and applications for PhD study in areas relating to the above research.
Current postgraduate programmes of research: concussion, sub concussion and post concussion syndrome - links between body composition and sports performance - DXA methodologies - visceral fat - female athlete triad and RED-S.
- DXA and QCT imaging
- Bone health, osteoporosis and fracture
- Body composition and visceral fat
- Athlete health
- Healthy Communities
- 2020: CoreScanTM Visceral Adipose Tissue for Cardiometabolic Risk Stratification & Evaluation and Practical Utility of the Total Body-Less Head Application(£134873.12 from )
- 2019: Board of Directors, International Society for Clinical Densitometry:
- 2018: Adjunct Associate Professor. School of Medicine, Trinity College Dublin, University of Dublin:
- 2018: Chair of ISCD UK-Ireland Panel:
- 2011: Honorary Research Fellow, Institute of Cellular Medicine, Newcastle University:
Available for media contact about:
- Medical and health research topics:
- Public policy, health and well-being:
Chapter in book
- Hind K (Accepted). Bone Health in Athletes. In Fractures in Sport. Robertson, G & Maffulli, N Springer.
- Forsyth, Jacky & Hind, Karen (2018). Bone Health and the Exercising Female. In The Exercising Female: Science and Its Application. Forsyth, Jacky & Roberts, Claire-Marie Abingdon, Oxon New York, NY: Routledge. 85-99.
- McHugh, C, Hind, K, O'Halloran, A, Davey, D, Farrell, G & Wilson, F (Accepted). Body mass and body composition changes over 7 years in a male professional rugby union team. International Journal of Sports Medicine
- Xu, Z Yan, C Yang, R Liu, Y Xu, L Guo, Z Yu, A Cheng, X Liao, W Peng, X Guglielmi, G & Hind, K (Accepted). Measurement of visceral fat and abdominal obesity by single-frequency bioelectrical impedance and computed tomography: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open
- Casper, S, Bachynski, K, Buckland, M, Comrie, D, Gandy, S Gates, J, Goldberg, D, Henne, K Hind, K, Morrison, D Ortega, F Pearce, AJ Philpott-Jones, S, Sandel, E Tatos, T, Taylor, R Tucker, S & Finkel, A (Accepted). Toward Complete, Candid, and Unbiased International Consensus Statements on Concussion in Sport. The Journal of Law, Medicine and Ethics
- Zhao, Y, Lin, K, Wang, L, Yu, X, Tang, J, Zhang, Y, Li, Z, Hind, K, Blake, G & Cheng, X (2021). Accuracy, Linearity and Precision of Spine QCT vBMD Phantom Measurements for Different Brands of CT Scanner: A Multicentre Study. Journal of Clinical Densitometry
- McHugh, C., Hind, K., Wyse, J., Davey, D. & Wilson, F. (2021). Increases in DXA-derived visceral fat across one season in professional rugby union players: importance of visceral fat monitoring in athlete body composition assessment. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 24(2): 206-213.
- Entwistle, I, Hume, P, Francis, P & Hind, K (2021). Vertebral anomalies in retired rugby players and the impact on bone density calculation of the lumbar spine. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 24(2): 200-205.
- McHugh, C., Hind, K., O'Halloran, A., Davey, D., Farrell, G. & Wilson, F. (2021). Body Mass and Body Composition Changes over 7 Years in a Male Professional Rugby Union Team. International Journal of Sports Medicine
- Xiaoguang, C., Kai Ping, Z., Xiaojuan, Z., Xia, D., Yongli, L., Shuang, C., Yan, W., Shao Lin, L., Yong, L., Yuqin, Z., Xigang, X., YueHua, L., Xiao, M., Xiangyang, G., Wei, C., Yingying, Y., Jun, J., Bairu, C., Yinru, L., Jianbo, G., Guo Bin, H., Yaling, P., Yan, Y., Hiujuan, Q., Limei, R., Jian, Z., Ling, W., Kai, L., Haihong, F., Jing, W., Shiwei, L., Blake, G.M., Pickhardt, P., Yuanzheng, M., Xiaoxia, F., Shengyong, D., Qiang, Z., Zhiping, G., Hind, K. & Wei, T (2021). Opportunistic screening using low-dose CT and the prevalence of osteoporosis in China: a nation-wide, multicenter study. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 36(3): 427-435.
- Hind, Karen & Oldroyd, Brian (2020). Bone mineral density precision for individual and combined vertebrae configurations from lumbar spine dual energy X-ray absorptiometry scans. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 23(4): 673-677.
- Yin, Lu, Xu, Zhengyang, Wang, Ling, Li, Wei, Zhao, Yue, Su, Yongbin, Sun, Wei, Liu,Yangdong Yang, Mingbui, Yu, Aibong, Blake, Glen M, Wu, Xingbao, Veldhuis-Vlug,Annegreet, Cheng, Xiaoguang, Hind, Karen & Engelke, Klaus (2020). Associations of muscle size and density with proximal femur bone in a community dwelling older population. Frontiers in Endocrinology, Section - Bone Research 11: 503.
- Hind, Karen, Konerth, Natalie, Entwistle, Ian, Lewis, Gwyn, Theadam, Alice & Chazot, Paul (2020). Cumulative sport‑related injuries and longer term impact in retired male elite‑ and amateur‑level rugby code athletes and non‑contact athletes a retrospective study. Sports Medicine 50(11): 2051-2061.
- Forsyth, J., Evans, A., Hind, K., Paskins, Z. & Babatunde, O. (2020). Exercise interventions for preventing and treating low bone mass in the forearm: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 101(3): 487-511.
- Wang, Ling, Ran, Limei, Zha, Xiaojuan, Zhao, Kaiping, Yang, Yingying, Shuang, Qing, Liu, Yandong, Hind, Karen, Cheng, Xiaoguang & Blake, Glen M. (2020). Adjustment of DXA BMD measurements for anthropometric factors and its impact on the diagnosis of osteoporosis. Archives of Osteoporosis 15(1): 155.
- Sharma, A., Hind, K. Hume, P., Singh, J. & Neary, P. (2020). Neurovascular Coupling by Functional Near Infra-Red Spectroscopy and Sport-Related Concussion in Retired Rugby Players: The UK Rugby Health Project. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 14: 42.
- Zemski, Adam J., Keating, Shelley E., Broad, Elizabeth M., Marsh, Damian J., Hind, Karen, Walters, Kylie J. & Slater, Gary J. (2020). Differences in visceral adipose tissue and biochemical cardiometabolic risk markers in elite rugby union athletes of Caucasian and Polynesian descent. European Journal of Sport Science 20(5): 691-702.
- Farley, Ava, Slater, Gary & Hind, K (2020). Short Term Precision Error of Body Composition Assessment Methods in Resistance Trained Male Athletes". International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism
- Hind, K, Hayes, L, Basterfield, L, Pearce, M S & Birrell, F (2020). Objectively-measured sedentary time, habitual physical activity and bone strength in adults aged 62 years: the Newcastle Thousand Families Study. Journal of Public Health 42(2): 325-332.
- Swainson, Michelle Grace Batterham, Alan Mark & Hind, Karen (2020). Age- and Sex-Specific Reference Intervals for Visceral Fat Mass in Adults. International Journal of Obesity 44(2): 289-296.
- McHugh, Cliodhna, Hind, Karen, Cunningham, Joyce, Davey, Daniel & Wilson, Fiona (2020). A career in sport does not eliminate risk of cardiovascular disease; A systematic review and meta-analysis of the cardiovascular health of field-based athletes. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 23(9): 792-799.
- Keay, Nicola Francis, Gavin Entwistle, Ian & Hind, Karen (2019). Clinical evaluation of education relating to nutrition and skeletal loading in competitive male road cyclists at risk of relative energy deficiency in sports (RED-S): 6-month randomized controlled trial. BMJ Open Sport and Exercise Medicine 5(1): e000523.
- Lees, Matthew J. Wilson, Oliver J. Hind, Karen & Ispoglou, Theocharis (2019). Muscle quality as a complementary prognostic tool in conjunction with sarcopenia assessment in younger and older individuals. European Journal of Applied Physiology 119: 1171.
- O'Sullivan, Ian, Johnson, Mark, Hind, Karen, Breen, Sarah & Francis, Peter (2019). Are changes in running economy associated with changes in performance in runners? A systematic review. Journal of Sport Sciences
- Butterworth, Mathew, Lees, Matthew, Harlow, Paul, Hind, Karen, Duckworth, Lauren & Ispoglou, Theocharis (2019). Αcute effects of essential amino acid gel-based and whey protein supplements on appetite and energy intake in older women. Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism 44(11): 1141-1149.
- Thornley, Isobel, Hynd, Jason, Stein, Stella, Butterworth, Mathew, Hind, Karen & Francis, Peter (2019). A new approach to the classification of muscle health: preliminary investigations. Physiological Measurement 40(8): 085001.
- Hillier, Matthew, Sutton, Louise, James, Lewis, Mojtahedi, Dara, Keay, Nicola & Hind, Karen (2019). High Prevalence and Magnitude of Rapid Weight Loss in Mixed Martial Arts Athletes. International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 29(5): 512-517.
- Zemski, A.J.,, Keating, S.E., Broad, E.M., Marsh, D.J., Hind, K. & Slater, G.J. (2019). Preseason Body Composition Adaptations in Elite White and Polynesian Rugby Union Athletes. International journal of sport nutrition and exercise metabolism 29(1): 9-17.
- Rudman, Harry, Birrell, Fraser, Pearce, Mark, Tuck, Stephen, Francis, Roger & Hind, Karen (2019). Obesity, bone density relative to body weight and prevalent vertebral fracture at age 62 years: the Newcastle Thousand Families Study. Osteoporosis International 30(4): 829-836.
- King, Doug, Hume, Patria, Hind, Karen & Clark, Trevor (2019). Effect of Selective Head-Neck Cooling on Signs and Symptoms of Sport Originated Brain Injury in Amateur Sports: A Pilot Study. Biomedical Journal of Scientific and Technical Research
- McHugh, Cliodhna, Wilson, Fiona, Hind, Karen & Davey, Daniel (2019). Cardiovascular health of retired field-based athletes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Orthopaedic journal of sports medicine 7(8): 2325967119862750.
- Zemski, Adam, Hind, Karen, Keating, Shelley, Broad, Elizabeth, Marsh, Damian & Slater, Gary (2019). Same-day versus consecutive-day precision error of dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry for interpreting body composition change in resistance trained athletes. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 22(1): 104-114.
- Jones, Ashley, Jones, Gareth, Greig, Neil, Bower, James, Brown, James, Hind, Karen & Francis, Peter (2019). Epidemiology of Injury in English Professional Football Players: a cohort study. Physical Therapy in Sport 35: 18-22.
- Oldroyd, B., Treadgold, L. & Hind, K. (2018). Cross Calibration of the GE Prodigy and iDXA for the Measurement of Total and Regional Body Composition in Adults. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 21(3): 383-393.
- Thurlow, S., Oldroyd, B. & Hind, K. (2018). Effect of Hand Positioning on DXA Total and Regional Bone and Body Composition Parameters, Precision Error, and Least Significant Change. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 21(3): 375-382.
- Thurlow, S., Taylor-Covill, G., Sahota, P., Oldroyd, B. & Hind, K. (2018). Effects of procedure, upright equilibrium time, sex and BMI on the precision of body fluid measurements using bioelectrical impedance analysis. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 72(1): 148-153.
- Jones, B., Till, K., Roe, G., O’Hara, J., Lees, M., Barlow, M.J. & Hind, K. (2018). Six-year body composition change in male elite senior rugby league players. Journal of Sports Sciences 36(3): 266-271.
- Hind, K., Slater, G., Oldroyd, B., Lees, M., Thurlow, S., Barlow, M. & Shepherd, J. (2018). Interpretation of Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry-Derived Body Composition Change in Athletes: A Review and Recommendations for Best Practice. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 21(3): 429-443.
- Keay, N., Francis, G. & Hind, K. (2018). Low energy availability assessed by a sport-specific questionnaire and clinical interview indicative of bone health, endocrine profile and cycling performance in competitive male cyclists. BMJ Open Sport and Exercise Medicine 4(1): e000424.
- Lees, M.J., Beggs, C.B., Barlow, M.J., Rutherford, Z.H., Bansil, K., Gannon, L. & Hind, K. (2018). Bone Density and Cross-sectional Geometry of the Proximal Femur Are Bilaterally Elevated in Elite Cricket Fast Bowlers. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 21(3): 399-405.
- Thurlow, S., Oldroyd, B. & Hind, K. (2017). Scan Mode Selection on the GE-Lunar iDXA Densitometer. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 20(4): 533.
- Swainson, M.G., Batterham, A.M., Tsakirides, C., Rutherford, Z.H. & Hind, K. (2017). Prediction of whole-body fat percentage and visceral adipose tissue mass from five anthropometric variables. PLoS ONE 12(5): e0177175.
- Hind, K., Pearce, M. & Birrell, F. (2017). Total and Visceral Adiposity Are Associated With Prevalent Vertebral Fracture in Women but Not Men at Age 62 Years: The Newcastle Thousand Families Study. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 32(5): 1109-1115.
- Francis, P., Lyons, M., Piasecki, M., Mc Phee, J., Hind, K. & Jakeman, P. (2017). Measurement of muscle health in aging. Biogerontology 18(6): 901-911.
- Lees, M.J., Oldroyd, B., Jones, B., Brightmore, A., O'Hara, J.P., Barlow, M.J., Till, K. & Hind, K. (2017). Three-Compartment Body Composition Changes in Professional Rugby Union Players Over One Competitive Season: A Team and Individualized Approach. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 20(1): 50-57.
- Till, K., Jones, B., O'Hara, J., Barlow, M., Brightmore, A., Lees, M. & Hind, K. (2016). Three-compartment body composition in academy and senior rugby league players. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance 11(2): 191-196.
- Hind, K. (2016). Sedentary Time and Central Adiposity in Children. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 19(3): 264-265.
- Jones, B., Emmonds, S., Hind, K., Nicholson, G., Rutherford, Z. & Till, K. (2016). Physical qualities of international female rugby league players by playing position. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 30(5): 1333-1340.
- Ispoglou, T., White, H., Preston, T., McElhone, S., McKenna, J. & Hind, K. (2016). Double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot trial of L-Leucine-enriched amino-acid mixtures on body composition and physical performance in men and women aged 65–75 years. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 70(2): 182-188.
- Lees, M.J., Bansil, K. & Hind, K. (2016). Total, regional and unilateral body composition of professional English first-class cricket fast bowlers. Journal of Sports Sciences 34(3): 252-258.
- Barlow, M.J., Oldroyd, B., Smith, D., Lees, M.J., Brightmore, A., Till, K., Jones, B. & Hind, K. (2015). Precision Error in Dual-Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry Body Composition Measurements in Elite Male Rugby League Players. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 18(4): 546-550.
- Hind, K., Gannon, L., Brightmore, A. & Beck, B. (2015). Insights into relationships between body mass, composition and bone: Findings in elite rugby players. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 18(2): 172-178.
- Oldroyd, B., Robinson, M., Lindley, E., Rhodes, L. & Hind, K. (2015). Resonant cavity perturbation: A promising new method for the assessment of total body water in children. Physiological Measurement 36(12): 2503-2517.
- Jones, B., Till, K., Barlow, M., Lees, M., O'Hara, J.P. & Hind, K. (2015). Anthropometric and three-compartment body composition differences between super league and championship rugby league players: Considerations for the 2015 season and beyond. PLoS ONE 10(7): e0133188.
- Hind, K., Cooper, W., Oldroyd, B., Davies, A. & Rhodes, L. (2015). A cross-calibration study of the GE-lunar iDXA and prodigy for the assessment of lumbar spine and total hip bone parameters via three statistical methods. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 18(1): 86-92.
- Hind, K. & Oldroyd, B. (2015). Incidental Findings With Cross Calibration of the GE Prodigy and iDXA Densitometers. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 18(4): 561-563.
- Mellis, M.G., Oldroyd, B. & Hind, K. (2014). In vivo precision of the GE Lunar iDXA for the measurement of visceral adipose tissue in adults: The influence of body mass index. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 68(12): 1365-1367.
- Rhodes, L.A., Cooper, W., Oldroyd, B. & Hind, K. (2014). Cross-calibration of a GE iDXA and Prodigy for Total andRegional Body Bone Parameters: The Importance of Using Cross-calibration Equations for Longitudinal Monitoring AfteraSystem Upgrade. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 17(4): 496-504.
- Hind, K., Jones, B. & King, R.F.G.J. (2014). Re: BONE: An acute buffer of plasma sodium during exhaustive exercise? Hormone and Metabolic Research 46(11): 819-820.
- Hind, K., Birrell, F. & Beck, B. (2014). Prevalent morphometric vertebral fractures in professional male rugby players. PLoS ONE 9(5): e97427.
- Hind, K., Torgerson, D., McKenna, J., Ashby, R., Daly-Smith, A., Truscott, J., MacKay, H. & Jennings, A. (2014). Developing interventions for children's exercise (DICE): A pilot evaluation of school-based exercise interventions for primary school children aged 7 to 8 years. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 11(4): 699-704.
- Hind, K. & Johnson, M.I. (2014). Complex regional pain syndrome in a competitive athlete and regional osteoporosis assessed by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry: A case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports 8(1).
- Hind, K. & Oldroyd, B. (2013). In-vivo precision of the GE Lunar iDXA densitometer for the measurement of appendicular and trunk lean and fat mass. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 67(12): 1331-1333.
- Hind, K., Oldroyd, B., Prajapati, A. & Rhodes, L. (2012). In Vivo Precision of Dual-Energy X-ray Absorptiometry-Derived Hip Structural Analysis in Adults. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 15(3): 302-307.
- Hind, K., Gannon, L., Whatley, E. & Cooke, C. (2012). Sexual dimorphism of femoral neck cross-sectional bone geometry in athletes and non-athletes: A hip structural analysis study. Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism 30(4): 454-460.
- Hind, K., Gannon, L., Whatley, E., Cooke, C. & Truscott, J. (2012). Bone cross-sectional geometry in male runners, gymnasts, swimmers and non-athletic controls: A hip-structural analysis study. European Journal of Applied Physiology 112(2): 535-541.
- Hind, K., Oldroyd, B. & Truscott, J.G. (2011). In vivo precision of the GE Lunar iDXA densitometer for the measurement of total body composition and fat distribution in adults. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 65(1): 140-142.
- Harley, J.A., Hind, K. & O'Hara, J.P. (2011). Three-compartment body composition changes in elite rugby league players during a super league season,measured by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 25(4): 1024-1029.
- Hind, K., Zanker, C. & Truscott, J. (2011). Five-year follow-up investigation of bone mineral density by age in premenopausal elite-level long-distance runners. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine 21(6): 521-523.
- Lloyd, R., Hind, K., Micklesfield, L.K., Carroll, S., Truscott, J.G., Parr, B., Davies, S. & Cooke, C. (2010). A pilot investigation of load-carrying on the head and bone mineral density in premenopausal, black African women. Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism 28(2): 185-190.
- Hind, K., Oldroyd, B. & Truscott, J.G. (2010). In vivo precision of the GE Lunar iDXA densitometer for the measurement of total-body, lumbar spine, and femoral bone mineral density in adults. Journal of Clinical Densitometry 13(4): 413-417.
- Lloyd, R., Hind, K., Micklesfield, L.K., Carroll, S., Truscott, J.G., Parr, B., Davies, S. & Cooke, C. (2010). Erratum: A pilot investigation of load-carrying on the head and bone mineral density in premenopausal, black African women (Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism DOI: 10.1007/s00774-009-0113-3). Journal of Bone and Mineral Metabolism 28(2): 191.
- Lloyd, R., Hind, K., Parr, B., Davies, S. & Cooke, C. (2010). The Extra Load Index as a method for comparing the relative economy of load carriage systems. Ergonomics 53(12): 1500-1504.
- Hind, K., Truscott, J.G. & Conway, S.P. (2008). Exercise during childhood and adolescence: A prophylaxis against cystic fibrosis-related low bone mineral density? Exercise for bone health in children with cystic fibrosis. Journal of Cystic Fibrosis 7(4): 270-276.
- Hind, K., Truscott, J. & Carroll, S. (2008). Case report: Female athlete triad in monozygotic twins. Physician and Sportsmedicine 36(1): 119-124.
- Hind, K. (2008). Recovery of bone mineral density and fertility in a former amenorrheic athlete. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine 7(3): 415-418.
- Hind, K. & Burrows, M. (2007). Reply to letter to the editor re: "Weight-bearing exercise and bone mineral accrual in children and adolescents: A review of controlled trials" Bone 2007 40:14-27. Bone 41(5): 906-907.
- Zanker, C. & Hind, K. (2007). The effect of energy balance on endocrine function and bone health in youth. Medicine and Sport Science 51: 81-101.
- Hind, K. & Burrows, M. (2007). Weight-bearing exercise and bone mineral accrual in children and adolescents: A review of controlled trials. Bone 40(1): 14-27.
- Hind, K., Truscott, J.G. & Evans, J.A. (2006). Low lumbar spine bone mineral density in both male and female endurance runners. Bone 39(4): 880-885.