|Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science||MCS 2110|
|Member of the Institute of Medieval and Early Modern Studies|
I'm interested in the overlap between visual computing (especially machine vision) and visual studies (especially art history). My main work has to do with computer vision for the "distant reading" of art history (CS applied to the humanities), and Bildwissenschaft as a route to understanding computer vision (the humanities applied to CS).
Before arriving at Durham, I worked with the Rainbow (Graphics & Interaction) Group at the Cambridge Computer Lab, the Image and Visual Representation Lab at EPFL, Villa I Tatti - the Harvard University Center for Italian Renaissance Studies, and the Bibliotheca Hertziana - Max Planck Institute for Art History.
If you're interested in doing a PhD or a 3rd/4th year project with me in the visual digital humanities, get in touch.
- Digital Humanities
- Visual Studies
- Digital Art History
- Interdisciplinary Machine Learning
- Computer Vision
Available for media contact about:
- Computer Science: I work on using computer vision and AI to study the history of art.
- Virtual reality: I work on using computer vision and AI to study the history of art.
- Visualisation / 3D displays: I work on using computer vision and AI to study the history of art.
- Art: I work on using computer vision and AI to study the history of art.
- Museums: I work on using computer vision and AI to study the history of art.
- Visual culture: I work on using computer vision and AI to study the history of art.
- Computers: I work on using computer vision and AI to study the history of art.
Chapter in book
- Gibson, Alex, Impett, Leonardo, Djurslev, Anders Thrue & Blackwell, Alan F. (2020). Waking the Monsters of Insomniac Rationality: Conspiracy Theory as Critical Technical Practice. In Monsters, Monstrosities, and the Monstrous in Culture and Society Series in Sociology EditorsDiego Compagna, Stefanie Steinhart PublisherVernon Press, 2020 ISBN1622738934, 9781622738939 Length426 pages SubjectsSocial Science › Sociology › General History / Social History Social Science / Anthropology / Cultural & Social Social Science / Sociology / General Export Citation. Compagna, Diego & Steinhart, Stefanie Vernon Press.
- Impett, Leonardo (2020). Analyzing Gesture in Digital Art History. In The Routledge Companion to Digital Humanities and Art History. Routledge. 386-407.
- Impett, Leonardo Laurence, Bell, Peter, Seguin, Benoit & Ommer, Björn (2018), Beyond Image Search: Computer Vision in Western Art History, ADHO Digital Humanities Conference 2018. 73-75.
- Impett, Leonardo & Süsstrunk, Sabine (2016), Pose and pathosformel in Aby Warburg’s bilderatlas, European Conference on Computer Vision Springer. 888-902.
- Herman, Isak, Impett, Leonardo, Wollner, Patrick KA & Blackwell, Alan F (2015), Augmenting bioacoustic cognition with tangible user interfaces, International Conference on Augmented Cognition Springer. 437-448.
- Impett, Leonardo, Herman, Isak, Wollner, Patrick KA & Blackwell, Alan F (2015), Musician Fantasies of Dialectical Interaction: Mixed-Initiative Interaction and the Open Work, International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction Springer. 184-195.
- Impett, Leonardo, Robinson, Peter & Baltrusaitis, Tadas (2014), A facial affect mapping engine, Proceedings of the companion publication of the 19th international conference on Intelligent User Interfaces - IUI Companion '14. 33.
- Impett, Jonathan & Impett, Leonardo (2013), The perception of potential: interference, dimensionality and knowledge, Advances in Artificial Life, ECAL 2013. 1126.
- Bell, Peter & Impett, Leonardo (2019). Ikonographie und Interaktion. Computergestützte Analyse von Posen in Bildern der Heilsgeschichte. Das Mittelalter 24(1): 31.
- Impett, Leonardo (2018). Artificial intelligence and deep learning: Technical and Political Challenges. Theory & Struggle 119: 82.
- Impett, Leonardo (2018). Prometheus Wired (Review of Life 3.0, Max Tegmark). New Left Review 111.
- Impett, Leonardo & Moretti, Franco (2017). Totentanz: Operationalizing Aby Warburg's Bilderatlas. 107.
- Impett, Leo (2015). Vygotsky and Marxist artificial intelligence. Theory & Struggle 116: 18.