|Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology||RH012||+44 (0) 191 33 43266|
|Member of the Centre for Vision and Visual Cognition|
I received an M.A. in psychology with a minor in philosophy from the University of Helsinki in 2004, writing my master's thesis on the interaction between brightness and color information in the simultaneous contrast illusion. Working with Dr. Pentti Laurinen on my master's thesis made me realize what a powerful tool psychophysics is for studying psychological processes and neural computation. After working in corporate research at the Nokia Research Center for a while, I decided to go back to academia and was offered a PhD studentship with Prof. Karl Gegenfurtner at the University of Giessen. During my time in the lab, I learned color psychophysics and computer rendering, and received my PhD in 2009. To learn more about color and material constancy, I then moved to Philadelphia to work with Prof. David Brainard at UPenn. I learned to calibrate a high-dynamic range display and used it to understand the perception of glossiness and lightness under different natural light fields. While in Philadelphia, I also worked with Prof. Sarah Allred at Rutgers on the relationship between color memory and perception, and finally did a two-year project in Prof. Russell Epstein's lab learning about fMRI adaptation and MVPA methods. I've held an assistant professorship in Durham since September 2015.
Wednesdays 14-15 (RH12)
- Color perception
- Visual psychophysics, cognitive neuroscience
- Probabilistic inference
- Color constancy
- 2018: Invited talk at Chiba University: I gave an invited talk titled "Is it green or blue? How memory and learning shape color perception" at the Seminar on Color Vision and Shitsukan (material) Perception at the University of Chiba
- 2018: Nominated to Anneslist : I am now on Anneslist (started by Anne Churchland) that highlights and promotes female systems neuroscientists. ;
- 2017: Faculty at the Norwegian Summer Institute on Language and Mind : I was visiting faculty at the 10-day Norwegian Summer Institute on Language and Mind in August 2017.
- 2017: Invited talk at the Matariki spring school High-level Vision: From mechanisms to perception: I gave an invited talk at the Matariki spring school High-level Vision: From mechanisms to perception in April 2017.
- 2017: Organize symposium at the European Conference on Visual Perception: I will organize a symposium at the 2017 ECVP in Berlin on the topic: Perceptual estimation in a noisy world: Novel insights from paradigms integrating perception, learning, and memory
- 2016: Hector Fellow Academy Speaker award: Best presentation at the Tuebingen Colour in Mind conference 21.-23.9.2016
- 2016: Invited talk at OSA Fall Vision Meeting (San Jose, CA) :
- 2016: Invited talk at psychology seminar at Giessen University, Germany:
- 2016: Keynote at the undergraduate research conference 'Day of Science' at the University of Helsinki:
- 2015: Academy of Finland fellowship: Five year research fellowship funded by the Academy of Finland
Available for media contact about:
- Memory and brain function: Colour perception, colour constancy, visual memory, Bayesian models of perception
- Perception / attractiveness: Colour perception, colour constancy, visual memory, Bayesian models of perception
- Vision / eye movement: Colour perception, colour constancy, visual memory, Bayesian models of perception
Chapter in book
- Olkkonen, M & Ekroll, V (2016). Color constancy and contextual influences on color appearance. In Springer series in Vision Research. Human color constancy. Rigmor Baraas, Jan Kremers & J Marshal Springer.
- Olkkonen, M., Hansen, T. & Gegenfurtner, K. R. (2012). Higher-level perceptual influences on color appearance. In Visual Experience: Sensation, Cognition, and Constancy. Hatfield, G. & Allred, S. R. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 179-198.
- Aston, Stacey, Denisova, Kristina, Hurlbert, Anya, Olkkonen, Maria, Pearce, Bradley, Rudd, Michael, Werner, Annette & Xiao, Bei (2020). Exploring the Determinants of Color Perception Using #Thedress and Its Variants: The Role of Spatio-Chromatic Context, Chromatic Illumination, and Material–Light Interaction. Perception 49(11): 1235-1251.
- Virtanen, Lari S., Olkkonen, Maria & Saarela, Toni P. (2020). Color ensembles: Sampling and averaging spatial hue distributions. Journal of Vision 20(5): 1-14.
- Peromaa, Tarja & Olkkonen, Maria (2019). Red color facilitates the detection of facial anger — But how much? PLOS ONE 14(4): e0215610.
- Witzel, Christoph, Olkkonen, Maria & Gegenfurtner, Karl R. (2018). A Bayesian Model of the Memory Colour Effect. i-Perception 9(3): 204166951877171.
- Mattar, Marcelo G., Olkkonen, Maria, Epstein, Russell A. & Aguirre, Geoffrey K. (2018). Adaptation decorrelates shape representations. Nature Communications 9: 3812.
- Olkkonen, Maria, Aguirre, Geoffrey K. & Epstein, Russell A. (2017). Expectation modulates repetition priming under high stimulus variability. Journal of Vision 17(6): 10.
- Olkkonen, M., Saarela, T. P. & Allred, S. R. (2016). Perception-memory interactions reveal a computational strategy for perceptual constancy. Journal of Vision 16(3): 38.
- Witzel, C., Olkkonen, M. & Gegenfurtner, K. R. (2016). Memory colours affect colour appearance. Behavioral and brain sciences 39: e262.
- Bae, G.-Y., Olkkonen, M., Allred, S. R. & Flombaum, J. I. (2015). Why some colors appear more memorable than others: A model combining categories and particulars in color working memory. Journal of Experimental Psychology: General 144(4): 744-763.
- Allred, S. R. & Olkkonen, M. (2015). The effect of memory and context changes on color matches to real objects. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics 77(5): 1608-1624.
- Olkkonen, M., McCarthy, P. & Allred, S. R. (2014). The central tendency bias in color perception: Effects of internal and external noise. Journal of Vision 14(11): 5.
- Bae, G.-Y., Olkkonen, M., Allred, S. R., Wilson, C. & Flombaum, J. I. (2014). Stimulus-specific variability in color working memory with delayed estimation. Journal of Vision 14(4): 7.
- Olkkonen, M. & Allred, S. R. (2014). Short-term memory affects color perception in context. PLoS ONE 9(1): e86488.
- Allred, S. R. & Olkkonen, M. (2013). The effect of background and illumination on color identification of real, 3D objects. Frontiers in Psychology 4: 821.
- Olkkonen, M & Brainard D H (2011). Joint effects of illumination geometry and object shape in the perception of surface reflectance. i-Perception 2(9): 1014-1034.
- Olkkonen, M, Witzel, C, Hansen, T & Gegenfurtner K R (2010). Categorical color constancy for real surfaces. Journal of Vision 10(9): 9.1-9.22.
- Olkkonen, M & Brainard, D H (2010). Perceived glossiness and lightness under real-world illumination. Journal of Vision 10(9): 5.1-19.
- Olkkonen, M, Hansen T & Gegenfurtner K R (2009). Categorical color constancy for simulated surfaces. Journal of Vision 9(12): 6.1-6.18.
- Olkkonen, M, Hansen T & Gegenfurtner K R (2008). Color appearance of familiar objects: effects of object shape, texture, and illumination changes. Journal of Vision 8(5): 13.1-13.16.
- Hansen, T. Olkkonen, M., Walter, S. & Gegenfurtner, K. R. (2006). Memory modulates color appearance. Nature Neuroscience 9(11): 1367-1368.