|Teaching Fellow in Medical Law and Ethics in the Durham Law School|
|Member of Durham CELLS (Centre for Ethics and Law in the Life Sciences)|
Marianna joined Durham Law School as a Teaching Fellow in Medical Law and Ethics in October 2020, having previously been a part-time tutor for four years. She holds a law degree from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece), a Master’s degree (Advanced Master in Legal Sciences) from the Pompeu Fabra University in Barcelona (Spain) and a PhD in law from Durham University (UK).
Marianna's doctoral research was funded by the Durham Law School Studentship and the Modern Law Review journal. She is also recipient of the Helen Reece Award. During her PhD studies, Marianna was also a Ustinov College Global Citizenship Programme scholar (2017-2019) and the Deputy Convenor of Durham CELLS (2016-2018).
Marianna is now a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and a member of the International Network of Biolaw.
Marianna’s principal areas of research include medical law and ethics, human rights and, in particular, reproductive rights. Her PhD explored surrogacy and its possible protection under the umbrella of the European Convention of Human Rights. Titled ‘Surrogacy and the European Convention on Human Rights’, the project examined the potential violation of the right to respect for private and family life by Contracting States that impose a blanket ban on surrogacy. In the course of her investigation, special consideration was given to commercial and cross-border surrogacy, in addition to the need for an international convention on surrogacy.
Beyond her doctoral studies, Marianna’s research focuses on the proportionality framework within the European Court of Human Rights (in relation to Articles 8-11 ECHR), while she also explores further regional solutions to cross-border surrogacy beyond the ECHR.
Marianna has given papers both within and outside Europe. She has also published in both English and Spanish. Her 2019 case note in the Medical Law Review has been quoted with approval in a joint consultation paper of the Law Commission of England and Wales and the Scottish Law Commission, while it also figures among the most impactful articles published in Medical Law Review.
Thursdays from 3pm – 5pm (Online - Appointment System)
Human Rights Law
Law and Medicine
EU Constitutional Law
- European Convention on Human Rights
- Medical Law
- Reproductive Rights
Chapter in book
- Iliadou, Marianna (2020). El Convenio Europeo de Derechos Humanos y el derecho al respeto de la decisión de ser padre genético. In Bioderecho y Derechos Humanos: Perspectivas biojurídicas contemporáneas. Valdés, Erick & Brena, Ingrid. Instituto de Investigaciones Jurídicas, UNAM.
- Iliadou, Marianna (2019). Surrogacy and the ECtHR: Reflections on Paradiso and Campanelli v Italy. Medical Law Review 27(1): 144–154.
- Iliadou, Marianna (2017). Surrogacy and Positive Obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights. Revista Española de Derecho Europeo - REDE 62(2): 127-160.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Iliadou, Marianna (2021). Valdís Fjölnisdóttir and Others v Iceland: Cross-Border Surrogacy and Foster Care. What About the Best Interests of the Child?
- Iliadou, Marianna (2020), What is Necessary in a Democratic Society? Assessing State Interference in the Context of Articles 8-11 ECHR, SLS 2020 Annual Conference.
- Iliadou, Marianna (2019), Margin of Appreciation and European Consensus: A Necessary Evil?, European Court of Human Rights: 60 Years of Success?. Human Rights Law Centre, University of Nottingham, England.
- Iliadou, Marianna (2019), Biotecnología y el Convenio Europeo de Derechos Humanos, XXVI Congreso Internacional sobre Derecho y Genoma Humano y 5º Seminario Internacional de Bioderecho. Genética, Biotecnología y Medicina Avanzada. UPV, Bilbao, Spain.
- Iliadou, Marianna (2018), Surrogacy Regimes: A comparative study, Seventh Annual Global Conference Younger Comparativists Committee of the American Society of Comparative Law. Case Western Reserve University School of Law, Cleveland, OH, USA.
- Iliadou, Marianna (2017), Surrogacy Crisis and the ECtHR, International Graduate Legal Research Conference (IGLRC). KCL, London, England.
- Iliadou, Marianna (2017), CEDH y el derecho al respeto de la decisión de ser padre genético, 3er Seminario Internacional de Bioderecho 'Bioderecho y Derechos Humanos'. Mexico City, Mexico.
- Iliadou, Marianna (2017), Paradiso & Campanelli v Italy interpreting family life, International Workshop on the European Court of Human Rights: 'The role of the European Court of Human Rights in the Community of Final Interpreters'. University Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain.
- Iliadou, Marianna (2017), Reproductive Rights in the light of ECHR, Series of Seminars in Constitutional Law. Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Iliadou, Marianna (2017), Defining Surrogacy, Durham Law School Annual PGR Conference 'Defending Individual Rights'. Durham, England.