Dr Michele Filippo Fontefrancesco
|Honorary Fellow in the Department of Anthropology|
Michele Filippo Fontefrancesco is a social anthropologist specialised in economic anthropology.
He graduated at University of Eastern Piedmont (BA, 2005; MA, 2007) and completed my doctoral studies at Durham University (2012).
He is an Honorary Fellow of the Department of Anthropology and Assistant Professor of Cultural Anthropology.
His current research focused on local development, with particular attention to entrepreneurship and sustainable development, and the construction of local know-how. He has conducted his fieldworks mainly in Italy and East Africa, with participation to research conducted in Eastern Europe, Iran and the United Kingdom. He published numerous works in Italy and internationally; among them: The End of the City of Gold?: Industrial and Economic Crisis in an Italian Jewellery Town (Cambridge Scholars, 2013) and Food Festivals and Local Development in Italy: A Viewpoint from Economic Anthropology (Palgrave, 2020).
- Economic Anthropology
- Food Anthropology
- Anthropology of Europe
- Anthropology of Development
- Fontefrancesco, Michele Filippo (2020). Food Festivals and Local Development in Italy. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Michele Filippo FONTEFRANCESCO (2013). The End of the City of Gold? Industry and Economic Crisis in an Italian Jewellery City. Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
Chapter in book
- Corvo P, & Fontefrancesco M, (2019). Sustainable Gastronomic Tourism. In The Routledge Handbook of Gastronomic Tourism. Dixit S Londra - GBR: Routledge. 209-216.
- Fontefrancesco M, & Sidsaph H, (2019). Food Web and Food Network: Role of Food System Ecological Interconnectedness in Achieving the Zero Hunger Goal. In Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Zero Hunger. Leal Filho W Azul & 4&zuyar P Wall T BASEL - CHE: SPRINGER AG.
- Fontefrancesco M (2019). Food Donation and Food Drive: Strategies to Achieve Zero Hunger. In Zero Hunger. Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Leal Filho W Azul & 4&zuyar P Wall T BASEL - CHE: SPRINGER AG.
- Fontefrancesco M (2019). Food Commodity Market: History and Impact of Food Trading Toward SDG2. In Zero Hunger. Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Leal Filho W Azul & 4&zuyar P Wall T BASEL - CHE: SPRINGER AG. 1-9.
- Fontefrancesco M, & Corvo P, (2019). Slow Food: History and Activity of a Global Food Movement Toward SDG2. In Zero Hunger. Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Leal Filho W Azul & 4&zuyar P Wall T. BASEL - CHE: SPRINGER AG.
- Fontefrancesco M (2019). Social Innovation: Global and Local Strategies for Socio-cultural Change. In Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure. Encyclopedia of the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Leal Filho W Azul & 4&zuyar P Wall T BERLIN - DEU: Springer.
- Fontefrancesco, M.F. (2014). Il Gelindo: Una tradizione natalizia tra Alessandria e Monferrato – A Christmas Tradition between Alessandria and Monferrato. Lu - ITA: Associazione Culturale San Giacomo.
- Fontefrancesco, Michele F. & Mello, Margherita (2022). The potatoes of Otro: the reconstitution of an element of the Walser food heritage in NW Italy. Journal of Ethnic Foods 9(1).
- Fontefrancesco, Michele Filippo (2022). Food Narrations and Teaching Migration: An Autobiographical Approach to “Knowing the Other”. World Futures 78(5): 273-290.
- Fontefrancesco, Michele Filippo (2021). Jogging during the Lockdown: Changes in the Regimes of Kinesthetic Morality and Urban Emotional Geography in NW Italy. Societies 11(4): 124.
- Stryamets, N., Fontefrancesco, M. F., Mattalia, G., Prakofjewa, J., Pieroni, A., Kalle, R., Stryamets, G. & Sõukand, R. (2021). Just beautiful green herbs: use of plants in cultural practices in Bukovina and Roztochya, Western Ukraine. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 17(1): 12.
- Ajmal Manduzai, Arshad Abbasi, Shujaul Khan, Abdullah Abdullah, Julia Prakofjewa, Mohammad Amini, Muhammad Amjad, Kevin Cianfaglione, Michele Fontefrancesco, Renata Soukand & Andrea Pieroni (2021). The Importance of Keeping Alive Sustainable Foraging Practices: Wild Vegetables and Herbs Gathered by Afghan Refugees Living in Mansehra District, Pakistan. Sustainability 13(3): 1500.
- Zocchi, Dauro M. & Fontefrancesco, Michele F. (2020). Traditional Products and New Developments in the Restaurant Sector in East Africa. The Case Study of Nakuru County, Kenya. FRONTIERS IN SUSTAINABLE FOOD SYSTEMS 4: 599138.
- Soukand, Renata, Stryamets, Nataliya, Fontefrancesco, Michele Filippo & Pieroni, Andrea (2020). The importance of tolerating interstices: Babushka markets in Ukraine and Eastern Europe and their role in maintaining local food knowledge and diversity. HELIYON 6(1): e03222.
- Fontefrancesco, Michele F. (2020). Raise Your Voice: The Multicultural Question and the Birth of Migrant Literature in Italy. ETNOANTROPOLOSKI PROBLEMI-ISSUES IN ETHNOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY 15(4): 1141-1152.
- Fontefrancesco, M.F. (2020). Breaking the chain,mending the chain: A decade of socioeconomic transformation in the jewellery district of valenza, italy. Facing the Crisis: Ethnographies of Work in Italian Industrial Capitalism 35-55.
- Michele F. Fontefrancesco (2020). Traditional festive food and fragile aspirations of development in Italy: the case of agnolotti pasta. Journal of Ethnic Foods 7(1).
- Fontefrancesco, Michele F. & Zocchi, Dauro M. (2020). Reviving Traditional Food Knowledge Through Food Festivals. The Case of the Pink Asparagus Festival in Mezzago, Italy. FRONTIERS IN SUSTAINABLE FOOD SYSTEMS 4: 596028.
- Fontefrancesco, Michele Filippo & Zocchi, Dauro Mattia (2020). Indigenous crops and cultural dynamics in the markets of Nakuru County, Kenya. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF GASTRONOMY AND FOOD SCIENCE 22: 100269.
- Zocchi, D.M., Piochi, M., Cabrino, G., Fontefrancesco, M.F. & Torri, L. (2020). Linking producers? and consumers? perceptions in the valorisation of non-timber forest products: An analysis of Ogiek forest honey. Food Research International 137.
- Michele Filippo FONTEFRANCESCO (2020). Between Change and Stability: Local Development, Tourist Offer and Local Values in Monferrato, Italy. Issues in Ethnology and Anthropology
- Payandeh, E., Allahyari, M.S., Fontefrancesco, M.F. & Surujlale, J. (2020). Good vs. Fair and Clean: An Analysis of Slow Food Principles Toward Gastronomy Tourism in Northern Iran. Journal of Culinary Science and Technology
- Zocchi, Dauro Mattia, Volpato, Gabriele, Chalo, Duncan, Mutiso, Patrick & Fontefrancesco, Michele Filippo (2020). Expanding the reach: ethnobotanical knowledge and technological intensification in beekeeping among the Ogiek of the Mau Forest, Kenya. JOURNAL OF ETHNOBIOLOGY AND ETHNOMEDICINE 16(1): 57.
- Fontefrancesco, M.F. & Pieroni, A. (2020). Renegotiating situativity: Transformations of local herbal knowledge in a Western Alpine valley during the past 40 years. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine 16(1).
- Corvo, Paolo, Fontefrancesco, Michele Filippo & Matacena, Raffaele (2020). Eating at Work: The Role of the Lunch-Break and Canteens for Wellbeing at Work in Europe. SOCIAL INDICATORS RESEARCH 150(3): 1043-1076.
- Volpato, Gabriele, Fontefrancesco, Michele F., Gruppuso, Paolo, Zocchi, Dauro M. & Pieroni, Andrea (2020). Baby pangolins on my plate: possible lessons to learn from the COVID-19 pandemic. JOURNAL OF ETHNOBIOLOGY AND ETHNOMEDICINE 16(1): 19.
- Fontefrancesco, Michele, Barstow, Charles, Grazioli, Francesca, Lyons, Hillary, Mattalia, Giulia, Marino, Mattia, McKay, Anne E., Soukand, Renata, Corvo, Paolo & Pieroni, Andrea (2019). Keeping or changing? Two different cultural adaptation strategies in the domestic use of home country food plant and herbal ingredients among Albanian and Moroccan migrants in Northwestern Italy. JOURNAL OF ETHNOBIOLOGY AND ETHNOMEDICINE 15: 11.
- Michele Filippo FONTEFRANCESCO (2018). The Slow Food Model: A Road for Small-Scale Productions in a Globalised Market. International Journal of Agricultural Management and Development
- Michele Filippo FONTEFRANCESCO (2018). Food Festivals and Expectations of Local Development in Northern Italy. Ethnologia Actualis
- Fontefrancesco M, & Lekanaya L, (2018). Meanings and taboos in traditional gastronomy of Maasai communities in Kajiado County, Kenya. ANTROCOM 14: 77-85.
- Michele F. Fontefrancesco (2016). The making of a community: The making of a photo collection in a rural community in Italy. Issues in Ethnology and Anthropology 9(4): 915.
- Michele F. Fontefrancesco (2016). The Spectacles of the Crisis: Local Perception of Economic and Social Change in Valenza. Issues in Ethnology and Anthropology 7(1): 65-83.
- Fontefrancesco, Michele Filippo (2016). Exploring Limbo: The experience of job-loss and unemployment in a jewellery city in Italy. ETNOANTROPOLOSKI PROBLEMI-ISSUES IN ETHNOLOGY AND ANTHROPOLOGY 11(2): 519-537.
- Fontefrancesco M (2016). Native Anthropology and uncertain "otherness". ANTHROPOLOGY TODAY 32: 25-25.
- Michele Filippo FONTEFRANCESCO (2014). On Grape, Feast and Community: An Ethnographic Note on the Making of the Grape Harvest Festival in an Italian Town in Piedmont. Journal of Ethnology and Folkloristics,
- Fontefrancesco, M.F. (2013). Crafting the local: GIs, jewelry, and transformations in Valenza, Italy. Social Analysis 56(3): 89-107.
- Fontefrancesco, Michele Filippo (2012). Thirty years of multiculturalism and anthropology. ANTHROPOLOGICAL NOTEBOOKS 18(3): 59-62.
- fontefrancesco m (2012). Anthropological District: Notes for an anthropological study of the industrial districts. Antrocom. ANTROCOM 8: 411-419.
- Fontefrancesco, Michele Filippo (2011). City of goldsmiths: Economy, local identity and rhetoric in Valenza, Italy. ANTHROPOLOGICAL NOTEBOOKS 17(1): 29-51.