Dr Mohd Irwan Syazli Saidin
PhD in Middle East Politics (Exeter)
|Visiting Fellow in the School of Government and International Affairs|
Dr Irwan Saidin gained his PhD in Middle East Politics from the Institute of Arab and Islamic Studies, The University of Exeter in 2018. He obtained his MSc in Global Politics from Southampton University and BSc in Political Science from The National University of Malaysia. His research focuses on contemporary Muslim affairs and political Islam, particularly in Southeast Asia and the Middle East. He is the author of the book, ‘The Arab Uprisings and Malaysia’s Islamist Movements: Influence, Impact and Lessons’ (Routledge, Taylor and Francis 2020), which is the first in-depth analysis of the Arab Uprisings’ implications from the perspective of Islamist movements in Malaysia and Tunisia. His current projects focuse on: 1) The human security issues of Syrian refugees in Turkey and Jordan from the perspectives of the Malaysia Humanitarian NGOs and 2) Terrorism and the rehabiliation and deradicalisation program of former Daesh detainees in Malaysia.
Available for media contact about:
- Asia (excluding Middle East):
- International: Politics, institutions & law:
- Middle East:
- Saidin, Mohd Irwan Syazli (2020). The Arab Uprisings and Malaysia's Islamist Movements: Influence, Impacts and Lessons. Routledge.
- Saidin,Mohd Irwan Syazli, Mazuki, Azyati Azhani & Mujani, Wan Kamal (2014), New Wave of Democratization: The Case of Tunisian and Egyptian Revolutions, 1: Proceedings of the 2014 International Conference on Advanced ICT (ICAICTE 2014). Dalian, China, Atlantis Press.
- Saidin, Mohd Irwan Syazli (2018). Between Revolution and Political Stability: The Perceptions and Influences of the Arab Uprisings among the Islamist Movements in Malaysia. PhD.
- Saidin, Mohd Irwan Syazli (2022). US foreign policy, neo-conservatism and the Iraq war (2003-2011): Critical reviews of factors and rationales. Cogent Arts & Humanities 9(1): 2111829
- Saidin, Mohd Irwan Syazli & O’Neill, Jodie (2022). Climate Change and the Diversification of Green Social Capital in the International Political Economy of the Middle East and North Africa: A Review Article. Sustainability 14(7): 3756.
- Saidin, Mohd Irwan Syazli (2019). The Arab Uprisings and Worldwide Responses: A Review of the Literature. Intellectual Discourse 27(2): 665-678.
- Saidin, Mohd Irwan Syazli (2018). Democracy and Reform in the Middle East and Asia: Social Protest and Authoritarian Rule after the Arab Spring. British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies 45(5): 865.
- Saidin, Mohd Irwan Syazli (2018). REVOLUTION IN THE CONTEMPORARY MUSLIM WORLD: REVIEW OF THE 1979 IRAN’S REVOLUTION AND THE 2011 ARAB UPRISINGS. Jebat: Malaysian Journal of History, Politics & Strategic Studies 45(2): 104-125.
- Saidin, Mohd Irwan Syazli (2018). Rethinking the ‘Arab Spring’ The Root Causes of the Tunisian Jasmine Revolution and Egyptian January 25 Revolution. International Journal of Islamic Thought