Dr Nicholas Chancellor
Teaching Fellow - Quantum Optics
|Teaching Fellow - Quantum Optics in the Department of Physics|
|Member of the Quantum Light and Matter|
- Quantum Annealing
- hybrid quantum classical computing
- applied algorithms for quantum computing
- 2018: invitation to speak at DLR Quantum Computing Workshop: I was an invited speaker at the DLR Quantum Computing Workshop hosted by the German aerospace agency, DLR. I estimate about 100 people attended.
- 2018: Invited to speak at AQC 2018 at NASA Ames: I was invited to give a talk at AQC 2018, held at the NASA Ames research facility at moffat field. AQC is the top conference in the field of quantum annealing and I would estimate the attendance at around 300 people.
- 2018: program comittee member of QTOP 19: I was invited to sit on the program committee of QTOP, the "First International Workshop on Quantum Technology and Optimization
Problems" in 2018 and accepted the invitation.
- 2018: Implementation of reverse annealing on D-Wave devices: I wrote the first paper which proposed a version of the 'reverse annealing' protocol which has now been implemented on the quantum computing devices produced by D-Wave Systems Inc. These machines sell for about 10 million pounds and have been purchased by Google, NASA, and Lockheed Martin amongst others.
- 2018: Editorial board membership for PLOS one: In 2018 I accepted a three year invitation to sit on the editorial board of PLOS one.
- Chancellor, N. (in press). Modernizing quantum annealing II: genetic algorithms with the inference primitive formalism. Natural Computing, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11047-022-09905-2
- Mirkarimi, P., Callison, A., Light, L., Chancellor, N., & Kendon, V. (2023). Comparing the hardness of MAX 2-SAT problem instances for quantum and classical algorithms. Physical Review Research, 5(2), https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevresearch.5.023151
- Nita, L., Mazzoli Smith, L., Chancellor, N., & Cramman, H. (2023). The challenge and opportunities of quantum literacy for future education and transdisciplinary problem-solving. Research in Science and Technological Education, 41(2), 564-580. https://doi.org/10.1080/02635143.2021.1920905
- Bennett, J., Callison, A., O’Leary, T., West, M., Chancellor, N., & Kendon, V. (2023). Using copies can improve precision in continuous-time quantum computing. Quantum Science and Technology, 8(3), Article 035031. https://doi.org/10.1088/2058-9565/acdcb5
- Callison, A., & Chancellor, N. (2022). Hybrid quantum-classical algorithms in the noisy intermediate-scale quantum era and beyond. Physical Review A, 106(1), Article 010101. https://doi.org/10.1103/physreva.106.010101
- Chen, J., Date, P., Chancellor, N., Atiquzzaman, M., & Sreenan, C. (2022). Controller-Based Energy-Aware Wireless Sensor Network Routing Using Quantum Algorithms. IEEE Transactions on Quantum Engineering, 3, https://doi.org/10.1109/tqe.2022.3217297
- East, R. D., van de Wetering, J., Chancellor, N., & Grushin, A. G. (2022). AKLT-States as ZX-Diagrams: Diagrammatic Reasoning for Quantum States. PRX Quantum, 3(1), https://doi.org/10.1103/prxquantum.3.010302
- Chancellor, N., Crowley, P. J., Durić, T., Vinci, W., Amin, M. H., Green, A. G., …Aeppli, G. (2022). Error measurements for a quantum annealer using the one-dimensional Ising model with twisted boundaries. npj Quantum Information, 8(1), Article 73. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41534-022-00580-w
- Chancellor, N., & Kendon, V. (2021). Experimental test of search range in quantum annealing. Physical Review A, 104(1), Article 012604. https://doi.org/10.1103/physreva.104.012604
- Callison, A., Festenstein, M., Chen, J., Nita, L., Kendon, V., & Chancellor, N. (2021). Energetic Perspective on Rapid Quenches in Quantum Annealing. PRX Quantum, 2(1), Article 010338. https://doi.org/10.1103/prxquantum.2.010338
- Abel, S., Chancellor, N., & Spannowsky, M. (2021). Quantum computing for quantum tunneling. Physical Review D, 103(1), Article 016008. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevd.103.016008
- Roffe, J., Zohren, S., Horsman, D., & Chancellor, N. (2020). Quantum Codes from Classical Graphical Models. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 66(1), 130-146. https://doi.org/10.1109/tit.2019.2938751
- Chancellor, N. (2020). Fluctuation-guided search in quantum annealing. Physical Review A, 102(6), Article 062606. https://doi.org/10.1103/physreva.102.062606
- Chancellor, N. (2019). Domain wall encoding of discrete variables for quantum annealing and QAOA. Quantum Science and Technology, 4(4), Article 045004. https://doi.org/10.1088/2058-9565/ab33c2
- Dodds, A. B., Kendon, V., Adams, C. S., & Chancellor, N. (2019). Practical designs for permutation-symmetric problem Hamiltonians on hypercubes. Physical Review A, 100(3), Article 032320. https://doi.org/10.1103/physreva.100.032320
- Roffe, J., Headley, D., Chancellor, N., Horsman, D., & Kendon, V. (2018). Protecting quantum memories using coherent parity check codes. Quantum Science and Technology, 3(3), Article 035010. https://doi.org/10.1088/2058-9565/aac64e
- Chancellor, N., Zohren, S., & Warburton, P. (2017). Circuit design for multi-body interactions in superconducting quantum annealing systems with applications to a scalable architecture. npj Quantum Information, 3(1), Article 21. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41534-017-0022-6
- Chancellor, N. (2017). Modernizing quantum annealing using local searches. New Journal of Physics, 19(2), Article 023024. https://doi.org/10.1088/1367-2630/aa59c4
- Bougroura, H., Aissaoui, H., Chancellor, N., & Kendon, V. (2016). Quantum walk transport properties on graphene structures. Physical Review A, 94(6), Article 062331. https://doi.org/10.1103/physreva.94.062331
- Chancellor, N., Zohren, S., Warburton, P., Benjamin, S., & Roberts, S. (2016). A Direct Mapping of Max k-SAT and High Order Parity Checks to a Chimera Graph. Scientific Reports, 6, Article 37107. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep37107
- Chancellor, N., Szoke, S., Vinci, W., Aeppli, G., & Warburton, P. (2016). Maximum-entropy inference with a programmable annealer. Scientific Reports, 6(1), Article 22318. https://doi.org/10.1038/srep22318
- Duric, T., Chancellor, N., & Herbut, I. (2014). Interaction-induced anomalous quantum Hall state on the honeycomb lattice. Physical Review B, 89(16), Article 165123. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevb.89.165123