|Teaching Fellow/Director of Dissertations/JH Arts (A&H Programmes Advisor and Exam Board Rep in the Department of Philosophy|
|Associate Member in the Centre for Humanities Engaging Science and Society (CHESS)|
|Member of the Institute of Medieval and Early Modern Studies|
Peter West is a Teaching Fellow in Philosophy at Durham University. His research focuses primarily on epistemology and metaphysics in Early Modern philosophy, especially the philosophy of George Berkeley and Margaret Cavendish. He is also in interested in public philosophy and questions about how best to bridge the gap between the academy and the public sphere.
Chapter in book
- West, Peter., & Fasko, Manuel. (2020). Molyneux's Question: The Irish Debates. In Molyneux's Question and the History of Philosophy. Ferretti, Gabriele., & Glenney, Brian. Routledge. 122-135.
- West, Peter. (2020). Knowing Me, Knowing You: Berkeley on Self-Knowledge and Other Minds. In The Self and Self-Knowledge in Early Modern Philosophy. Boros, Gábor., Szalai, Judit., & Istvan Toth, Oliver. Eötvös University Press.
- West, Peter. (Forthcoming). L. Susan Stebbing, Philosophy and the Physicists (1937): a re-appraisal. British Journal for the History of Philosophy
- West, Peter. (2022). L. Susan Stebbing Philosophy and the Physicists (1937): a re-appraisal. British Journal for the History of Philosophy
- West, Peter (2021). Margaret Cavendish on conceivability, possibility, and the case of colours. British Journal for the History of Philosophy
- West, Peter (2021). The philosopher versus the physicist: Susan Stebbing on Eddington and the passage of time. British Journal for the History of Philosophy
- West, Peter (2021). Why Can An Idea Be Like Nothing But Another Idea? A Conceptual Interpretation of Berkeley's Likeness Principle. Journal of the American Philosophical Association
- West, Peter, & Fasko, Manuel (2020). The Irish Context of Berkeley's ‘Resemblance Thesis’. Royal Institute of Philosophy Supplements
- West, Peter (2019). Reid and Berkeley on Scepticism, Representationalism, and Ideas. Journal of Scottish Philosophy
- West, Peter (2018). Berkeley on the Relation Between Abstract Ideas and Language in Alciphron VII. Ruch Filozoficzny
- West, Peter (2021). The dangers of Mark Zuckerberg's metaverse. Institute of Arts and Ideas
- West, Peter. (2021). On Susan Stebbing and the role of public philosophy. Aeon
- West, Peter., & Moravec, Matyáš. (2021). In Praise of Co-Authoring. The Philosopher
- West, Peter. (2021). Five lessons on bringing truth back into politics from Britain's first philosophy professor. The Conversation
- West, Peter. (2020). Why Boris Johnson must stop talking about 'good British common sense'. The Conversation