Dr Raphaela Kormoll
Teaching Fellow in International Relations and Peace and Conflict Studies, AFHEA
PhD (Durham University), MA (Leiden University), BA (The University of York)
|Teaching Fellow in International Relations and Peace and Conflict Studies, AFHEA in the School of Government and International Affairs|
Raphaela Kormoll joined the School of Goverment and International Affairs as Teaching Fellow in International Relations and Peace and Conflict Studies in 2019, after completing her PhD on 'Practicing the International: India-Pakistan Relations in the Punjab borderland.' Her research analysed relations between India and Pakistan through everyday economic and security practices in the Punjab borderland through the framework of Pierre Bourdieu's practice theory. Her work draws on ethnographically informed research in India and Pakistan, which builds the foundation for future research project.
Raphaela is also the editor of the Durham Global Security Institute's (DGSi) Working Paper Series, which can be accessed here.
Before joining Durham University as Doctoral Candidate, she completed her MA in International Relations: International Studies at Leiden University (NL, 2012-13), after graduating from the BA (Hons) in Politics with International Relations at the University of York (UK, 2010-12). Her BA and MA theses focused on the role and influence of interpreters and nonverbal behaviour on international negotiations and involved the analysis of negotiation training programmes.
- Migration Studies
- International Political Sociology
- South Asia (India, Pakistan, Punjab)
- Peace and Conflict Studies (negotiation, mediation, reconciliation)
- Boundary and Borderland Studies
- Pierre Bourdieu's work
- Kormoll, Raphaela (2019). From the Ashes of 1947: Reimagining Punjab. South Asian Review 1-3.
Chapter in book
- Kormoll, Raphaela (2020). Spaces of Exclusion: Negotiating Access to the Land Beyond the Border Fence in Indian Punjab. In Borders and Border Walls: In-Security, Symbolism, Vulnerabilities. Bissonnette, Andreanne & Vallet, Elisabeth Routledge.
- Bakonyi, Jutta & Kormoll, Raphaela (2017). Die Gewaltunternehmer. Wie finanziert sich die somalische Islamistische-Miliz al-Shabaab? [Violent Entrepreneurs: Financing of an Islamist Militia al-Shabaab in Somalia]. Informationszentrum 3. Welt (iz3w) (358): 36-37.
- Kormoll, Raphaela (2015). A Threat to Life and Property: Domestic Terrorism in India. JASON Magazine (Special Edition) 40(4): 60-64.
- Kormoll, Raphaela (2014). Thailand’s Current Crisis: A Democratic Revolution? JASON Magazine 39(2): 36-39.
- Kormoll, Raphaela (2014). Is Taiwan struggling for independence? JASON Magazine 39(3): 22-25.
- Kormoll, Raphaela (2015). India-Pakistan: Contextualising the Cancelled Talks Debacle. (4907).