|Emeritus Professor in the Department of Earth Sciences||Rm 320||+44 (0) 191 33 44295|
|Member of the Institute of Medieval and Early Modern Studies|
2021 — Emeritus Professor, Department of Earth Science, University of Durham
2016 – 2020 — Professor, Department of Earth Science, University of Durham
2008 – 2016 — Senior Lecturer, Department of Earth Science, University of Durham
2003 – 2008 — NERC Advanced Research Fellow, Department of Earth Science, University of Durham
1998 – 2003 — Principle Investigator, Atlantic Margins Project, Bullard Labs, University of Cambridge
1990 – 1998 — Director, BIRPS Core Group, Bullard Labs, University of Cambridge
1989 – 1990 — Senior Research Associate, BIRPS, Bullard Labs, University of Cambridge
1985 – 1989 — Research Associate, BIRPS, Bullard Labs, University of Cambridge
Career Research Highlights
My research is based around applied wave field propagation and seismic data processing. In particular, the acquisition and processing of seismic reflection and refraction data and the development of software to investigate the propagation of seismic waves in three dimensional heterogeneous media. I am currently involved in a number of projects, described below.
Fast 3-D viscoelastic modelling: critical to improving methodology is understanding of how seismic waves interact with the heterogeneous geology. This project has been funded both by the NERC and DERA and has generated a fast and efficient full-waveform modelling scheme. The code can successfully handle 1, 2 or 3 dimensions with plane, cylindrical or point sources in a model that can contain any combination of material with acoustic, elastic or viscoelastic properties. The principal advantage over other codes, e.g. 3-D finite difference, is that the code can run on any workstation or fast PC and does not require the use of a parallel super computer.
Seismic Oceanography is a new discipline that brings the power and resolution of the seismic reflection method to bare on Oceanographic issues (EU funded NEST project - GO (Geophysical Oceanography) with a total value of 2.7M Euro). The project undertook joint acquisition and modelling to provide a benchmark calibration of the method in the Gulf of Cadiz where the hot saline water flows out of the Straits of Gibraltar and mixes with the North Atlantic Water. We successfully tracked a small Meddy (an underwater vortex of Mediterranean Water) and acquired high resolution images of its detailed temperature and salinity structure. This new tool has the potential to address issues on mixing in oceans and provide a means to monitor change. I was also involved in a CNR (Venice) led experiment to use seismic oceanography to monitor dense water currents along the western margin of the Adriatic Sea.
Volcanic Margins Research Consortium is a national research effort sponsored by industry focussed on continental margins that have experienced a major volcanic influence, eg the Faroes margin to the northwest of Britain. The extensive extrusive basalt flows and intrusive dykes and sill create problems for traditional mapping of these margins. The project combines traditional geological mapping and innovative remote sensing to help improve understanding of the evolution of these margins.
Bayesian methods provide the means to quantify uncertainty given some observed data and some prior information about the problem. I am developing techniques based on Bayesian principles, in conjunction with the Department of mathematical Sciences, to provide robust estimates of uncertainty for a range of geophysical problems: the computation of the velocity/depth model used in pre-stack depth migration; uncertainties in predicting over-pressure (GEOPOP3) and of seismic data; and joint uncertainties for combinations of complementary data such as gravity, seismic refraction and magnetotelluric data.
OSCAR is a NERC funded Consortium Grant (Durham, NOC, UCL and Oxford) that aims to map the heat and mass fluxes at a mid-ocean ridge. New ocean crust is formed at the mid-ocean ridge as the Earth's plates move. This crust is rapidly cooled by the hydrothermal circulation of sea-water through cracks and pores which removes the heat but also chemically reacts with the rock to deposit and remove minerals. The waste heat is then dissipated in the abyssal oceans. Recent modelling of ocean circulation has shown that including more accurate maps of this geothermal heat input has significant effects on the deep water circulation.
I was co-PI and co-chief on the International Ocean Discovery Program (IODP) drilling expedition (leg 369) to recover core from south and south-west Australia, leg 369 Australia Cretaceous Climate and Tectonics. The project aims to understand the paleoceanography and tectonics of the Naturaliste Plateau (NP) and Mentelle Basin (MB) off SW Australia. Core and log data from a series of sites in water depths between 850 and 3900 m to investigate: (1) the rise and collapse of the Cretaceous hothouse; (2) the controls on oceanic anoxic events during major carbon cycle perturbations; (3) Cretaceous paleoceanography including deep and intermediate water circulation; (4) Cenozoic to recent paleoceanography including influence of the Tasman gateway opening and Indonesian gateway restriction; and (5) the tectonic, volcanic, and depositional history of the NP and MB prior to Gondwana breakup, as well as after separation from India and subsequently Antarctica.
Committee and Society Service
2010 – present: — Committee member of UK Ocean Bottom Instrument Consortium
2003 – 2008 — NERC Advanced Research Fellow
2003 — Senior Research Fellow, Cambridge
Membership of Organisations and Societies
European Geosciences Union;
American Geophysical Union;
the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufacturers & Commerce
- Ocean ridge geothermal processes
- International Ocean Discovery Program drilling
- controlled source seismic data (acquisition, processing and interpretation)
- Seismic Oceanography
- 3D seismic wavefield modelling
- Bayesian methods to quantify uncertainty
- Joint inversion
- Climate and Environmental Change
- Geoenergy, Resources and Waste
- Geophysics Research Group
- 2014: OSCAR - Oceanographic and seismic characterisation of heat dissipation and alteration by hydrothermal fluids at an Axial Ridge(£537361.61 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2014: Sponsored Geoscience Software R&D Project(£107490.00 from Ikon Science)
- 2014: Volcanic Margins Research Consortium Phase 2(£204623.60 from Eni S.p.A.)
- 2014: Volcanic Margins Research Consortium Phase 2(£244376.40 from Multi Industry)
- 2012: GEOPOP3(£655481.99 from MISC Industry/Commerce)
- 2012: GeoPOP3: BG, BP, Chevron, CoP, E.ON, ENI, Petrobras, PETRONAS, Statoil, Total, Tullow. £2,700,000 2012-03-01 - 2015-09-30
- 2012: RF050177: GeoPOP3, MISC Industry/Commerce, £987602.38, 2012-03-01 - 2015-06-30
- 2008: JOINT INVERSION WITH BAYESIAN ANALYSIS(£182333.26 from Industry Technology Facilitator)
- 2008: OBTAINING A HIGH-LATITUDE SOUTHERN(£110538.71 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2007: DEVELOPING BAYESIAN BASED STRATEGIES(£60000.00 from WesternGeco)
- 2007: QUANTIFYING UNCERTAINTY IN COMPLEX 3-D(£1260.00 from British Council)
- 2006: ASSESSING THE POTENTIAL FOR THE SEISMIC(£132500.00 from Statoil Faeroyane A.S.)
- 2006: GEOPHYSICAL OCEANOGRAPHY - GO(£175364.00 from European Commission)
- 2003: MAPPING THE 3-D EVOLUTION OF THE AMAZON CORE(£289862.67 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2018: Co-chief IODP expedition 369:
- 2012: NERC Peer Review College:
- 2005: Co-Ordinator of EU-NEST GO Project:
- 2003: NERC Advanced Research Fellow:
- 1997: Fellow of the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce:
- Snyder, D.B. & Hobbs, R.W. (1999). The BIRPS Atlas II: A Second Decade of Deep Seismic Reflection Profiling. London: Geological Society.
Chapter in book
- Hardy, R.J.J. & Hobbs, R.W. (2005). A strategy for multiple suppression. In Multiple Attenuation. Weglein, A.B. & Dragoset, W.H. Tulsa, OK: Society of Exploration Geophysicists. 941-946.
- Hobbs, R.W, Tong, C.H & Pye, J.W (2003). Modelling and processing of 3-D seismic data collected over the overlapping spreading centre on the East Pacific Rise at 9 degrees 03'N. In New Insights into Structural Interpretation and Modelling. London: Geological Society. 212: 251-259.
- Hobbs, R.W. (2003). 3-D modeling of seismic wave propagation using complex elastic screens, with application to mineral exploration. In Hardrock Seismic Exploration. Eaton, D.W., Milkereit, B. & Salisbury, M.H. Tulsa: Society of Exploration Geophysicists. Geophysical Developments 10: 59-69.
- Hobbs, R.W (2003). Seismic imaging of lower crustal heterogeneity. In Heterogeneity in the Crust and Upper Mantle Nature, Scaling, and Seismic Properties. Goff, John A. & Holliger, Klaus. New York: Kluwer Academic/Plenum. 237-255.
- Oughton, R.H., Wooff, D.A., Swarbrick, R.E. & Hobbs, R.W. (2015), Modelling Uncertainty in Pore Pressure Using Dynamic Bayesian Networks. Proceedings of 77th EAGE Conference & Exhibition 2015: Earth Science for Energy and Environment, 77th EAGE Conference & Exhibition 2015: Earth Science for Energy and Environment. Madrid, Spain, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE), Th N114 01.
- Hobbs, R., Jegen, M., Chen, J. & Heincke, B. (2007), Joint Inversion, 69th Meeting workshop 10. London, UK, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, London.
- Jegen, M.D. Heincke, B. & Hobbs, R. (2006), Joint inversion of MT, gravity, and seismic data applied to sub-basalt imaging, 76th Annual International Meeting. New Orleans, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, New Orleans LA, 784-789.
- Hobbs, R. W., Flecha, I. & Carbonell, R. (2006), Pride & prejudice in the inversion of long-offset seismic data, Deep Seismix 12th International Symposium on Deep Seismic Profiling of the Continents and their Margins. Hayama, Japan, Hayama.
- Hobbs, R., Flecha, I. Rasmussen, T. Carbonell, R. & Danielsen, M. (2006), The Metropolis Algorithm, 2nd SINDRI Conference. Torshavn, Sindri, Torshavn.
- Hobbs, R. (2006), Optimised Processing of Seismic Data to Recover Reflections From the Water Layer, 2006 Ocean Sciences Meeting. Honolulu, USA, American Geophysical Union, Honolulu HI, OS16G-02.
- Huthnance, J., Hobbs, R. & Naveira Garabato, A. (2006), Imaging the Time Dependence of Water Boundaries in the Faroe-Shetland Channel, 2006 Ocean Sciences Meeting. American Geophysical Union, OS13I-06.
- Jegen, M., Hobbs, R. & Heincke, B. (2006), Joint inversion: the way forward, 2nd SINDRI Conference. Torshavn, Sindri, Torshavn.
- Carbonell, R., Artale, V., Geli, L., Gutscher, M., Hobbs, R., Huthnance, J., Matias, L. & Reston, T. (2006), Geophysical Oceanography ? a new tool to understand the thermal structure and dynamics of oceans, 2006 Ocean Sciences Meeting. Honolulu, USA, American Geophysical Union, Honolulu HI, OS16G-03.
- Jegen-Kulcsar, M. & Hobbs, R.W. (2005), Joint Inversion of marine MT, Gravity and Seismic Data, in Ziska, H., Varming, T. & Bloch, Dorete eds, Annales Societatis Scientiarum Færoensis; Supplementum 43: Faroe Islands Exploration Conference 2004. Tórshavn, Faroese Academy of Sciences, Tórshavn, 163-167.
- Hobbs, R. & Trinks, I. (2005), Gravity Modelling Based on Small Cells, 67th Meeting. Madrid, Spain, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, Madrid, P347.
- Miller, M., Kingsbury, N. Hobbs, R. & Hardy, R. (2005), Seismic Model Parameter Estimation Using Least-Squares Migration, 67th Meeting. Madrid, Spain, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, Madrid, P016.
- Hobbs, R. W., Jegen, M.D. & Trinks, I. (2005), Sub-Basalt Imaging with Joint Inversion of Gravity, MT and Seismic Data, 67th Meeting. Madrid, Spain, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, Madrid, H013.
- Hardy, R. & Hobbs, R. (2004), Case history of multiple identification and suppression using fast waveform modeling, 74th Annual International Meeting. Denver, USA, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Denver CO, 448-451.
- Miller, M., Kingsbury, N. & Hobbs, R. (2004), Least-squares migration using complex wavelets, 74th Annual International Meeting. Denver, USA, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Denver CO, 1097-1100.
- Maresh, J., Hobbs, R. White, R. & Smallwood, J. (2003), Attenuation of Atlantic Margin basalts using downhole VSP, 73rd Annual International Meeting. Dallas, USA, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Dallas TX, 1310-1313.
- Hardy, R.J.J., Hobbs, R.W. & Fairhead, S. (2003), Case Study of Multiple Identification Using Fast Waveform Modelling, 65th Meeting. Stavanger, Norway, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, Stavanger, D23.
- Martini, F., Hobbs, R. & Bean, C. (2002), Numerical Modelling for Sub-Basalt Imaging, 64th Meeting. Florence, Italy, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers, Florence, C042.
- Hobbs, R. & Jakubowicz, H. (2000), Marine source signature measurement using a reference seismic source, 70th Annual International Meeting. Calgary, Canada, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, Calgary, 57-60.
- Miller, M, Kingsbury, N & Hobbs, R (2005). Seismic imaging using complex wavelets. 2005 IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON ACOUSTICS, SPEECH, AND SIGNAL PROCESSING, VOLS 1-5: SPEECH PROCESSING IEEE, 345 E 47TH ST, NEW YORK, NY 10017 USA, IEEE.
- Tary, J.B., Hobbs, R.W., Peirce, C., Lesmes Lesmes, C. & Funnell, M.J. (2021). Local rift and intraplate seismicity reveal shallow crustal fluid-related activity and sub-crustal faulting. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 562: 116857.
- Yin, Shaoru, Javier Hernández-Molina, F., Hobbs, Richard, Gao, Jinyao, Ding, Weifeng, Yang, Chunguo, Lin, Lin, Zhang, Huodai, Wu, Ziyin & Li, Jiabiao (2021). Contourite processes associated with the overflow of Pacific Deep Water within the Luzon Trough: Conceptual and regional implications. Deep Sea Research Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers 170: 103459.
- Kolandaivelu, K. P. Harris, R. N., Lowell, R. P., Robinson, A. H., Wilson, D. J. & Hobbs, R. W. (2020). Evolution of Heat Flow, Hydrothermal Circulation and Permeability on the Young Southern Flank of the Costa Rica Rift. Geophysical Journal International 220(1): 278-295.
- Harry, D. L., Tejada, M. L. G., Lee, E. Y., Wolfgring, E., Wainman, C. C., Brumsack, H.‐J., Schnetger, B., Kimura, J.‐I., Riquier, L., Borissova, I., Hobbs, R., Jiang, T., Li, Y‐X., Maritati, A., Martinez, M., Richter, C., Tagliaro, G. & White, L. T. (2020). Evolution of the Southwest Australian Rifted Continental Margin During Breakup of East Gondwana: Results from IODP Expedition 369. Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems 21(12): e2020GC009144.
- Vahlenkamp, Maximilian, De Vleeschouwer, David, Batenburg, Sietske J., Edgar, Kirsty M., Hanson, Emma, Martinez, Mathieu, Pälike, Heiko, MacLeod, Kenneth G., Li, Yong-Xiang, Richter, Carl, Bogus, Kara, Hobbs, Richard W. & Huber, Brian T. (2020). A lower to middle Eocene astrochronology for the Mentelle Basin (Australia) and its implications for the geologic time scale. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 529: 115865.
- Lowell, R., Zhang, L., Maqueda, M., Banyte, D., Tong, V., Johnston, R., Harris, R., Hobbs, R.W., Peirce, C. & Robinson, A.H. (2020). Magma-hydrothermal interactions at the Costa Rica Rift from data collected in 1994 and 2015. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 531: 115991.
- Yang, Pei, Welford, J. Kim, Peace, Alexander L. & Hobbs, Richard (2020). Investigating the Goban Spur rifted continental margin, offshore Ireland, through integration of new seismic reflection and potential field data. Tectonophysics 777: 228364.
- Abudlkareem, Lamees, Imber, Jonathan & Hobbs, Richard (2019). Geophysical evidence for structurally-controlled, authigenic carbonate cementation in the Laminaria High, Bonaparte basin, Northwest Shelf of Australia. Marine and Petroleum Geology 99: 563-576.
- Tang, Qunshu, Tong, Vincent C. H., Hobbs, Richard W. & Morales Maqueda, Miguel Ángel (2019). Detecting changes at the leading edge of an interface between oceanic water layers. Nature Communications 10(1): 4674.
- Wainman, C.C., Borissova, I., Harry, D. L., Hobbs, R. W., Mantle, D. J., Maritati, A., Lee, E. Y. & and the Expedition 369 Scientists (2019). Evidence for non-marine Jurassic to earliest Cretaceous sediments in the pre-breakup section of the Mentelle Basin, southwestern Australia. Australian Journal of Earth Sciences (AJES)
- Li, Y., Zhang, S., Hobbs, R., Caiado, C., Sproson, A.D., Selby, D. & Rooney, A.D. (2019). Monte Carlo sampling for error propagation in linear regression and applications in isochron geochronology. Science Bulletin 64(3): 189-197.
- Michelioudakis, D. G., Hobbs, R. W. & Caiado, C. C. S. (2018). Uncertainty analysis of depth predictions from seismic reflection data using Bayesian statistics. Geophysical Journal International 213(3): 2161-2176.
- Banyte, D., Morales Maqueda, M., Hobbs, R., Smeed, D. A., Megann, A. & Recalde, S. (2018). Geothermal heating in the Panama Basin. Part I: hydrography of the basin. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 123(10): 7382-7392.
- Banyte, D., Morales Maqueda, M., Smeed, D. A., Megann, A., Hobbs, R. & Recalde, S. (2018). Geothermal heating in the Panama Basin. Part II: abyssal water mass transformation. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 123(10): 7393-7406.
- Vargas, C A, Pulido, J E & Hobbs, R W (2018). Thermal structure of the Panama Basin by analysis of seismic attenuation. Tectonophysics 730: 81-99.
- Peace, Alexander, McCaffrey, Ken, Imber, Jonathan, van Hunen, Jeroen, Hobbs, Richard & Wilson, Robert (2018). The role of pre-existing structures during rifting, continental breakup and transform system development, offshore West Greenland. Basin Research 30(3): 373-394.
- Oughton, Rachel H., Wooff, David A., Hobbs, Richard W., Swarbrick, Richard E. & O'Connor, Stephen A. (2018). A sequential dynamic Bayesian network for pore pressure estimation with uncertainty quantification. Geophysics 83(2): D27-D39.
- Kolandaivelu, Kannikha Parameswari, Harris, Robert N., Lowell, Robert P., Alhamad, Ahmed, Gregory, Emma & Hobbs, Richard (2017). Analysis of a Conductive Heat Flow Profile in the Ecuador Fracture Zone. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 467: 120-127.
- Shi, Zhanjie, Hobbs, Richard W., Moorkamp, Max, Tian, Gang & Jiang, Lu (2017). 3-D cross-gradient joint inversion of seismic refraction and DC resistivity data. Journal of Applied Geophysics 141: 54-67.
- Heincke, Björn, Jegen, Marion, Moorkamp, Max, Hobbs, Richard & Chen, Jin (2017). An adaptive coupling strategy for joint inversions that use petrophysical information as constraints. Journal of Applied Geophysics 136: 279-297.
- Li, Ang, Davies, Richard J., Mathias, Simon, Yang, Jinxiu, Hobbs, Richard & Wilson, Miles (2017). Gas venting that bypasses the feather edge of marine hydrate, offshore Mauritania. Marine and Petroleum Geology 88: 402-409.
- Tang, Q., Hobbs, R.W., Zheng, C., Biescas, B. & Caiado, C.C.S. (2016). Markov Chain Monte Carlo inversion of temperature and salinity structure of an internal solitary wave packet from marine seismic data. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 121(6): 3692-3709.
- Davies, R.J., Yang, J., Mathias, S. & Hobbs, R. (2015). An irregular feather-edge and potential outcrop of marine gas hydrate along the Mauritanian margin. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 423: 202-209.
- Tang, Qunshu, Hobbs, Richard, Wang, Dongxiao, Sun, Longtao, Zheng, Chan, Li, Jiabiao & Dong, Chongzhi (2015). Marine seismic observation of internal solitary wave packets in the northeast South China Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans 120(12): 8487-8503.
- Nelson, Catherine E., Hobbs, Richard W. & Rusch, Roxanne (2015). On the Use of Fractal Surfaces to Understand Seismic Wave Propagation in Layered Basalt Sequences. Pure and Applied Geophysics 172(7): 1879-1892.
- Davies, R. J., Yang, J., Hobbs, R. & Li, A. (2014). Probable patterns of gas flow and hydrate accretion at the base of the hydrate stability zone. Geology 42(12): 1058, 1055.
- Moorkamp, M., Roberts, A.W., Jegen, M., Heincke, B. & Hobbs, R.W. (2013). Verification of velocity-resistivity relationships derived from structural joint inversion with borehole data. Geophysical Research Letters 40(14): 3596–3601.
- Carniel, Sandro, Bergamasco, Andrea, Book, Jeffrey W., Hobbs, Richard W., Sclavo, Mauro & Wood, Warren T. (2012). Tracking bottom waters in the Southern Adriatic Sea applying seismic oceanography techniques. Continental Shelf Research 44: 30-38.
- Sheen, K. L., White, N. J., Caulfield, C. P. & Hobbs, R. W. (2012). Seismic imaging of a large horizontal vortex at abyssal depths beneath the Sub-Antarctic Front. Nature Geoscience 5(8): 542-546.
- Caiado, Camila C. S., Goldstein, Michael & Hobbs, Richard W. (2012). Bayesian Strategies to Assess Uncertainty in Velocity Models. Bayesian Analysis 7(1): 211-234.
- Vsemirnova, E. A., Hobbs, R. W. & Hosegood, P. (2012). Mapping turbidity layers using seismic oceanography methods. Ocean Science 8(1): 11-18.
- Mohamed-Ali, M. A., Herbich, T., Grzymski, K. & Hobbs, R. (2012). Magnetic Gradient and Electrical Resistivity Tomography Surveys in Meroe, the Capital City of the Kush Kingdom, Sudan. Archaeological Prospection 19(1): 59-68.
- Roberts, A. W., Hobbs, R. W., Goldstein, M., Moorkamp, M., Jegen, M. & Heincke, B. (2012). Crustal constraint through complete model space screening for diverse geophysical datasets facilitated by emulation. Tectonophysics 572-573: 47-63.
- Nelson, Catherine E., Jerram, Dougal A., Hobbs, Richard W., Terrington, Ricky & Kessler, Holger (2011). Reconstructing flood basalt lava flows in three dimensions using terrestrial laser scanning. Geosphere 7(1): 87-96.
- Flecha, I., Carbonell, R., Hobbs, R. W. & Zeyen, H. (2011). Some improvements in subbasalt imaging using pre-stack depth migration. Solid Earth 2(1): 1-7.
- Moorkamp, M., Heincke, B., Jegen, M., Roberts, A. & Hobbs, R. (2011). A framework for 3-D joint inversion of MT, gravity and seismic refraction data. Geophysical Journal International 184(1): 477-493.
- Sargent, C., Hobbs, R.W. & Gröcke, D.R. (2011). Improving the interpretability of air-gun seismic reflection data using deterministic filters: A case history from offshore Cape Leeuwin, south-west Australia. Geophysics 76(3): B113-B125.
- Sheen, Katy L., White, Nicky, Caulfield, Colm P. & Hobbs, Richard W. (2011). Estimating Geostrophic Shear from Seismic Images of Oceanic Structure. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 28(9): 1149-1154.
- Maloney, D., Sargent, C., Direen, N. G., Hobbs, R. W. & Gröcke, D.R. (2011). Re-evaluation of the Mentelle Basin, a polyphase rifted margin basin, offshore southwest Australia: new insights from integrated regional seismic datasets. Solid Earth 2(2): 107-123.
- Papenberg, C., Klaeschen, D. Krahmann, G. & Hobbs, R. W. (2010). Ocean temperature and salinity inverted from combined hydrographic and seismic data. Geophysical Research Letters 37: L04601.
- Quentel, E., Carton, X., Gutscher, M. -A. & Hobbs, R. (2010). Detecting and characterizing mesoscale and submesoscale structures of Mediterranean water from joint seismic and hydrographic measurements in the Gulf of Cadiz. Geophysical Research Letters 37: L06604.
- Buffett, G. G., Hurich, C. A., Vsemirnova, E. A., Hobbs, R. W., Sallarès, V., Carbonell, R., Klaeschen, D. & Biescas, B. (2010). Stochastic Heterogeneity Mapping around a Mediterranean salt lens. Ocean Science 6(1): 423-429.
- Moorkamp, M., Jegen, M., Roberts, A. & Hobbs, R. (2010). Massively parallel forward modeling of scalar and tensor gravimetry data. Computers & Geosciences 36(5): 680-686.
- Jerram, Dougal A., Single, Richard T., Hobbs, Richard W. & Nelson, Catherine E. (2009). Understanding the offshore flood basalt sequence using onshore volcanic facies analogues: an example from the Faroe-Shetland basin. Geological Magazine 146(3 ): 353-367.
- Nelson, Catherine E., Jerram, Dougal A. & Hobbs, Richard W. (2009). Flood basalt facies from borehole data: implications for prospectivity and volcanology in volcanic rifted margins. Petroleum Geoscience 15(4): 313-324.
- Pearse, S., Hobbs, R. & Bosch, M. (2009). Using a local Monte Carlo strategy to assess 1-D velocity models from wide-angle seismic travel-time data and application to the Rockall Trough. Tectonophysics 472(1-4): 284-289.
- Buffett, G. G., Biescas, B., Pelegri, J. L., Machin, F., Sallares, V., Carbonell, R., Klaeschen, D. & Hobbs, R. (2009). Seismic reflection along the path of the Mediterranean Undercurrent. Continental Shelf Research 29(15): 1848-1860.
- Menesguen, C., Hua, B. L., Papenberg, C., Klaeschen, D., Geli, L. & Hobbs, R. (2009). Effect of bandwidth on seismic imaging of rotating stratified turbulence surrounding an anticyclonic eddy from field data and numerical simulations. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L00D05.
- Vsemirnova, E., Hobbs, R., Serra, N., Klaeschen, D. & Quentel, E. (2009). Estimating internal wave spectra using constrained models of the dynamic ocean. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L00D07.
- Hobbs, R. W., Klaeschen, D., Sallares, V., Vsemirnova, E. & Papenberg, C. (2009). Effect of seismic source bandwidth on reflection sections to image water structure. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L00D08.
- Geli, L., Cosquer, E., Hobbs, R. W., Klaeschen, D., Papenberg, C., Thomas, Y., Menesguen, C. & Hua, B. L. (2009). High resolution seismic imaging of the ocean structure using a small volume airgun source array in the Gulf of Cadiz. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L00D09.
- Watts, A.B., Rodger, M., Greenroyd, C.J., Peirce, C. & Hobbs, R.W. (2009). Seismic structure, gravity anomalies, and flexure of the Amazon continental margin, NE Brazil. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 114(B7): B07103.
- Klaeschen, D., Hobbs, R. W., Krahmann, G., Papenberg, C. & Vsemirnova, E. (2009). Estimating movement of reflectors in the water column using seismic oceanography. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L00D03.
- Sheen, K. L., White, N. J. & Hobbs, R. W. (2009). Estimating mixing rates from seismic images of oceanic structure. Geophysical Research Letters 36: L00D04.
- Jegen, Marion D., Hobbs, Richard W., Tarits, Pascal & Chave, Alan (2009). Joint inversion of marine magnetotelluric and gravity data incorporating seismic constraints Preliminary results of sub-basalt imaging off the Faroe Shelf. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 282(1-4): 47-55.
- Greenroyd, C. J., Peirce, C., Rodger, M., Watts, A. B. & Hobbs, R. W. (2008). Demerara Plateau - the structure and evolution of a transform passive margin. Geophysical Journal International 172(2): 549-U19.
- Koenitz, Dorit, White, Nicky, McCave, I. Nick & Hobbs, Richard (2008). Internal structure of a contourite drift generated by the Antarctic Circumpolar Current. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 9: Q06012.
- Greenroyd, C.J., Peirce, C., Rodge, M., Watts, A.B. & Hobbs, R.W. (2008). Do fracture zones define continental margin segmentation? - Evidence from the French Guiana margin. Earth & Planetary Science Letters 272(3-4): 553-566.
- White, James C. & Hobbs, Richard W. (2007). Extension of forward modeling phase-screen code in isotropic and anisotropic media up to critical angle. Geophysics 72(5, S): SM107-SM114.
- Greenroyd, C., Peirce, C., Rodger, M., Watts, A.B. & Hobbs, R.W. (2007). Crustal structure of the French Guiana margin, West Equatorial Atlantic. Geophysical Journal International 169(3): 964–987.
- Hobbs, R.W, Drummond, B.J & Goleby, B.R (2006). The effects of three-dimensional structure on two-dimensional images of crustal seismic sections and on the interpretation of shear zone morphology. Geophysical journal international 164(3): 490-500.
- Singh, S. C., Harding, A. J., Kent, G. M., Sinha, M. C., Combier, V., Bazin, S., Tong, C. H., Pye, J. W., Barton, P. J., Hobbs, R. W., White, R. S. & Orcutt, J. A. (2006). Seismic reflection images of the Moho underlying melt sills at the East Pacific Rise. Nature 442: 287-290.
- Maresh, Jennifer, White, Robert S., Hobbs, Richard W. & Smallwood, John R. (2006). Seismic attenuation of Atlantic margin basalts: Observations and modeling. Geophysics 71(6): B211-B221.
- I. Trinks, M. Díaz-Andreu, R. Hobbs & K. Sharpe (2006). Digital rock art recording. Journal of Rock Art Research
- Rodger, M., Watts, A.B., Greenroyd, C., Peirce, C. & Hobbs, R.W. (2006). Evidence for unusually thin oceanic crust and strong mantle beneath the Amazon fan. Geology 34(12): 1081-1084.
- Díaz-Andreu, Margarita, Hobbs, Richard, Rosser, Nick, Sharpe, Kate & Trinks, Immo (2005). Long Meg: Rock Art Recording Using 3D Laser Scanning. Past 50: 2-6.
- Martini, F., Hobbs, R.W. Bean, C.J. & Single, R. (2005). A complex 3D volume for sub-basalt imaging. First Break 23(7): 41-52.
- Klingelhöfer, F., Edwards, R. A., Hobbs, R. W. & England, R. W. (2005). Crustal structure of the NE Rockall Trough from wide-angle seismic data modeling. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 110(B11): B11105.
- Trinks, I, Clegg, P, McCaffrey, K, Jones, R, Hobbs, R, Holdsworth, R, Holliman, N, Imber, J, Waggott, S & Wilson, R (2005). Mapping and analyzing virtual outcrops. Visual Geosciences
- McCaffrey, K.J.W., Holdsworth, R.E., Imber, J., Clegg, P., De Paola, N., Jones, R.R., Hobbs, R., Holliman, N. & Trinks, I. (2005). Putting the geology back into Earth models. Eos 86(46): 461-466.
- Miller, M.A, Kingsbury, N.G & Hobbs, R.W. (2005). Seismic image reconstruction using complex wavelets. Proceedings of SPIE Computational Imaging III 5674: 27-35.
- England, R.W, McBride, J.M & Hobbs, R.W (2005). The role of Mesozoic rifting in the opening of the NE Atlantic: Evidence from deep seismic profiling across the Faroe-Shetland Trough. Journal of the Geological Society 162(4): 661-674.
- Clegg, P, Trinks, I, McCaffrey, K.J.W, Holdsworth, R.E, Jones, R.R, Hobbs, R & Waggott, S (2005). Towards the Virtual Outcrop. Geoscientist 15(1): 8-9.
- Drummond, B.J, Hobbs, R.W & Goleby, B.R (2004). The effects of out-of-plane seismic energy on reflections in crustal-scale 2D seismic sections. Tectonophysics 388(1-4): 213-224.
- Tong, C. H., Barton, P. J., White, R. S., Sinha, M. C., Singh, S. C., Pye, J. W., Hobbs, R. W., Bazin, S., Harding, A. J., Kent, G. M. & Orcutt, J. A. (2003). Influence of enhanced melt supply on upper crustal structure at a mid-ocean ridge discontinuity: A three-dimensional seismic tomographic study of 9°N East Pacific Rise. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 108(B10): 2464-2473.
- Bazin, S., Harding, A. J., Kent, G. M., Orcutt, J. A., Singh, S. C., Tong, C. H., Pye, J. W., Barton, P. J., Sinha, M. C., White, R. S., Hobbs, R. W. & van Avendonk, H. J. A. (2003). A three-dimensional study of a crustal low velocity region beneath the 9°03′N overlapping spreading center. Geophysical Research Letters 30(2): 1039-1043.
- Bazin, S., Harding, A. J., Kent, G. M., Orcutt, J. A., Tong, C. H., Pye, J. W., Singh, S. C., Barton, P. J., Sinha, M. C., White, R. S., Hobbs, R. W. & Van Avendonk, H. J. A. (2001). Three-dimensional shallow crustal emplacement at the 9°03′N overlapping spreading center on the East Pacific Rise: Correlations between magnetization and tomographic images. Journal of Geophysical Research: Solid Earth 106(B8): 16101-16117.
- Wild, A.J, Hobbs, R.W & Frenje, L (2000). Modelling complex media: an introduction to the phase-screen method. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 120: 219-225.
- Hardy, R.J.J. & Hobbs, R.W. (1991). A strategy for multiple suppression. First Break 9(4): 139-144.
- Huber, B.T., Hobbs, R.W., Bogus, K.A. & Expedition 369 Scientists (2018). Expedition 369 Preliminary Report: Australia Cretaceous Climate and Tectonics. International Ocean Discovery Program. Tectonic, paleoclimate, and paleoceanographic history of high-latitude southern margins of Australia during the Cretaceous, 26 September–26 November 2017. International Ocean Discovery Program.
- Oughton, R.H., Wooff, D.A., Hobbs, R.W., O'Connor, S.A. & Swarbrick, R.E. (2015). Quantifying uncertainty in pore pressure estimation using Bayesian networks, with application to use of an offset well. Petroleum Geostatistics 2015. Biarritz, France, European Association of Geoscientists and Engineers (EAGE).