|Professor in Defence, Development and Diplomacy in the School of Government and International Affairs||117, Al-Qasimi Building||+44 (0) 191 33 45348|
Roger Mac Ginty works on peace and conflict, particularly on the intersection between top-down and bottom-up approaches to peacemaking. He is interested in everyday peace and the different ways in which this might be captured. He co-directs the Everyday Peace Indicators project (with Pamina Firchow) and edits the Taylor and Francis journal Peacebuilding (with Oliver Richmond). He also edits the "Rethinking Political Violence" book series. His articles have been published in Cooperation and Conflict, Security Dialogue, and Review of International Studies. Please email email@example.com. if you would like a pdf copy of any of Mac Ginty's journal articles.
Mac Ginty has conducted extensive fieldwork and his research has been funded by the EU, ESRC and Carnegie Corporation of New York among others. He welcomes enquiries from prospective PhD students with an interest in peacebuilding, international intervention, stabilisation, and the methodologies of capturing peace and conflict.
- Measuring peace and conflict
- Peace processes
- International intervention
- Political violence
- Top-down/bottom-up interactions
- Roger Mac Ginty (2021). Everyday Peace: How so-called ordinary people can disrupt violent conflict. Oxford University Press.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2011). International Peacebuilding and Local Resistance: Hybrid forms of peace. Palgrave.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2006). No War, No Peace: The rejuvenation of stalled peace processes and peace accords. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Roger Mac Ginty & John Darby (2002). Guns and government: The management of the Northern Ireland peace process. Palgrave.
Chapter in book
- Roisin Read & Roger Mac Ginty (Published). The temporal dimension in the study of interventions. In Handbook on Intervention and Statebuilding. Nicolas Lemay-Hebert Edward Elgar. 220-230.
- Roger Mac Ginty (2016). What do we mean when we use the term "local"? Imagining and framing th elocal and the international in relation to peace and order. In Peacebuilding in cricis: Rethinking paradigms and practicies of transnational cooperation. Tobias Debiel, Thomas Held & Ulrich Schneckener Routledge. 193-2109781138858596.
- Roger Mac Ginty (2015). Transitions and hybrid political orders. In At the End of Military Intervention: Historical, theoretical, and applied approaches to transition, handover and withdrawal. Robert johnson & Timothy Clack Oxford University Press. 253-270.
- Richmond, Oliver P. & Mac Ginty, Roger (2020). Local Legitimacy and International Peacebuilding. Edinburgh University Press.
- Mac Ginty, Roger, Brett, Roddy & Vogel, Birte (2020). The Companion to Peace and Conflict Fieldwork. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Ozerdem, Alp & Mac Ginty, Roger (2019). Comparing Peace Processes. Routledge.
- Hans-Joachim Giessmann & Roger Mac Ginty (2018). The elgar Companion to Post-Conflict Transition. Edward Elgar.
- Mac Ginty, Roger & Williams, Andrew (2016). Conflict and Development. Routledge Perspectives on Development. Routledge.
- Mac Ginty, Roger & Peterson, Jenny H (2015). The Routledge Companion to Humanitarian Action. Routledge.
- Roger Mac Ginty & Oliver Richmond (2009). The Liberal Peace and Post-War Reconstruction. Routledge.
- Pogodda, S., Mac Ginty, R. & Richmond, O. (2021). The EU and Critical Crisis Transformation: The Evolution of a Policy Concept. Conflict, Security and Development 21(1): 85-106.
- Firchow, Pamina & Mac Ginty, Roger (2020). Including Hard-to-Access Populations Using Mobile Phone Surveys and Participatory Indicators. Sociological Methods & Research 49(1): 133-160.
- Mac Ginty, Roger Joshi, Madhav & Lee, SungYong (2019). Liberal Peace Implementation and the Durability of Post-war Peace. International Peacekeeping 26(4): 457-486.
- Richmond, Oliver P. & Mac Ginty, Roger (2019). Mobilities and peace. Globalizations 16(5): 606-624.
- Ginty, Roger Mac (2019). Post-legitimacy and post-legitimisation: a convergence of Western and non-Western intervention. Conflict, Security & Development 19(3): 251.
- MacGinty, Roger (2019). Complementarity and Interdisciplinarity in Peace and Conflict Studies. Journal of Global Security Studies 4(2): 267-272.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2019). Circuits, the everyday and international relations: Connecting the home to the international and transnational. Cooperation and Conflict 54(2): 234-253.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2017). A material turn in International Relations: the 4x4, intervention and resistance. Review of International Studies 43(05): 855-874.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2017). Everyday Social Practices and Boundary-Making in Deeply Divided Societies. Civil Wars 19(1): 4.
- Read, Róisín & Mac Ginty, Roger (2017). The Temporal Dimension in Accounts of Violent Conflict: A Case Study from Darfur. Journal of Intervention and Statebuilding 11(2): 147.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2017). Peacekeeping and Data. International Peacekeeping 24(5): 695.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2015). Where is the local? Critical localism and peacebuilding. Third World Quarterly 36(5): 840-856.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2014). Everyday Peace: Bottom-up and local agency in conflict-affected societies. Security Dialogue 45(6): 548-564.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2013). Indicators+: A proposal for everyday peace indicators. Evaluation and Program Planning 36(1): 56.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2012). Against Stabilization. Stability: International Journal of Security and Development 1(1): 20.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2010). Social network analysis and counterinsurgency: a counterproductive strategy? Critical Studies on Terrorism 3(2): 209.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2010). Warlords and the liberal peace: state-building in Afghanistan. Conflict, Security & Development 10(4): 577.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2009). The Liberal Peace at Home and Abroad: Northern Ireland and Liberal Internationalism. The British Journal of Politics and International Relations 11(4): 690.
- Hamieh, Christine Sylva & Mac Ginty, Roger (2009). A very political reconstruction: governance and reconstruction in Lebanon after the 2006 war. Disasters 34: S103.
- Mac Ginty, Roger (2008). Indigenous Peace-Making Versus the Liberal Peace. Cooperation and Conflict 43(2): 139.