Ms Sophie Doherty
|Part-Time Tutor in the Durham Law School|
In 2013, Sophie completed her LLB (Hon’s) from Queen’s University, Belfast, where she developed an interest in feminist jurisprudence and criminal law. During her time at Queen’s University, she was awarded a Study USA Scholarship, which allowed her to spend a full academic year at Ferrum College, Virgina, studying business and management. While undertaking a diverse range of business classes, she was given the opportunity to take elective classes, and chose Byzantine to Impressionist Art.
Achieving top marks in this class and being awarded Latin Honors each semester for her studies, Sophie’s interest in art was bolstered. Upon successful completion of the Study USA programme, Sophie was awarded the Certificate of American Business Practice. On return to Queen’s University, she undertook the Material Culture and Visual Media module from the School of History Anthropology obtaining a First in this.
Sophie remained at Queen’s University to pursue her MSSc in Criminal Justice. She completed her dissertation, titled ‘Susanna the Slut: Depictions of Rape Victims in Law and in Art’, and obtained a Distinction for her dissertation and graduated with a Distinction overall.
Sophie joined Durham University in October 2015 to pursue her doctoral studies under the supervision of Professor McGlynn from the School of Law and Professor Janet Stewart the School of Modern Languages and Cultures. To complete her studies, she was awarded the Durham Law School PGR Scholarship.
- Nominated Law School Teacher of the Year (2018)
- Achieved the status of Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2017)
- Durham University Learning and Teaching Award (2017)
- Durham Law School Scholarship (2015)
Sophie’s current research continues to explore feminist jurisprudence, criminal law and art. The provisional title of her thesis is ‘Visualising Justice: Law, Art and Sexual Violence.’
- Gender and Law at Durham (GLAD)
- Justice and the Arts
- Centre for Nineteenth-Century Studies
- Criminal Law
- Sexuality, Culture and Violence
- Feminist Jurisprudence
- Law and Art
- Law and Literature
- Interdisciplinary Approaches to Legal Scholarship
- Socio-Legal Scholarship
- Keeping Children Safe
- UN Gender Network
- Constitutional Conundrums: Northern Ireland, the EU and Human Rights
- Doherty S (2017) ‘Feminist Art: Access, Activism and Representation- Exploring Justice as Expression and Reception’ FiLia Arts Conference, London, UK.
- Doherty S (2017) ‘Susanna the Slut: Depictions of Rape Victims in Law and in Art’ Art in Law in Art Conference, Perth, Australia.
- Doherty S (2017) ‘Visualizing Justice: Sexual Violence, Law and Art’ Intersexions Conference, Durham, UK.
- Doherty S (2016) ‘Law and Art: Exploring Understandings of Rape Through Legal and Visual Analysis’ St. Mary’s College Research Seminar, Durham, UK.
- Doherty S (2015) Panel Chair, Art & Law: Art in Peril Conference, Cambridge, UK.
- Criminal Law