Mr Tom Lees
Research Postgraduate (PhD)
MSci MSc CGeol FGS UK RoGEP Professional
|Research Postgraduate (PhD) of Department of Geography|
|Research Postgraduate (PhD) of Hazards and Surface Change|
- 2020 - present: PhD Researcher, Durham University
- 2012 - 2020: Engineering Geologist, Southern Testing Laboratories Ltd
- 2011 - 2012: MSc Engineering Geology, University of Portsmouth
- 2010 - 2011: Mudlogging Geologist, Geoservices Ltd
- 2006 - 2010: MSci Geoscience, Durham University
My research focuses on the mechanical properties of rocks, and how the intact strength of rocks is affected by cyclical fluctuations in stress caused by solar heating. This applies to both engineered and natural rock slopes.
My project utilises field monitoring, geotechnical laboratory testing and computer simulation to link projected changes in climate to the development of microcracking within rocks.