Miss Victoria J. E. Jones
Teaching Fellow and Research Postgraduate (PhD)
|Teaching Fellow and Research Postgraduate (PhD) in the Department of Geography||210||+44 (0) 191 33 41938|
Is supervised by
In a consumer society where wants and needs may be instantly fulfilled, waiting for anything seems increasingly like an anachronism. And yet whether in relation to flows of people or things, or the work of bureaucracies, spaces of waiting proliferate and are integral to how our society of connections and circulations functions. The study examines how the practice of waiting is embodied, with a particular focus on the lived experience of furlough. It will attempt to move forward conceptualisations of waiting as an interruption, towards considering waiting as a form of affective-sensorial-material feeling. It is intended that the study will have impact within and outside the mobilities literature.
- Waiting, affect, materiality, sensory responses
- Jones, Victoria J. E. (2020). Timescapes of waiting: spaces of stasis, delay and deferral. Social & Cultural Geography 21(5): 761.
Chapter in book
- Jones, V. J. E. (2017). Smell the City: A Participatory Art Installation. In Designing with Smell: Practices, Techniques And Challenges. Henshaw, V, D, Medway, K, McClean C, Perkins & G, Warnaby Routledge. 9-18.
- Jones, V. J. E. (2013). Space Travelling Invisible Scotland. In Invisible Scotland: Revealing a Process of Interdisciplinary Discovery. Modeen, M. Moray School of Art Press. 113.
- Jones, Victoria J. E. (2022). Feeling in Suspension: Waiting in COVID-19 Shopping Queues. GeoHumanities 8(2): 537-554.
- (2021), Feeling, Sensating in Suspension: Waiting in COVID-19 Shopping Queues, Uncommon Senses III. Virtual Conference, Concordia University, Montreal.
- (2021), Feeling and Writing in Suspension: Waiting in COVID-19 Shopping Queues, American Association of Geographers, Annual Meeting. Virtual Conference.
- Jones,V. J. E. (2021), Feeling in Suspension: Waiting in COVID-19 Shopping Queues, Material Life of Time. Virtual Conference.
- Jones, V. J. E. (2019), Moments of Collective Delight: A Paper of Two Halves Plus Extra Time, RGS-IBG Annual International Conference. London.
- Brigstocke, J. & Jones, V. J. E. (2018), Harena: Sand, Suspension, and Aesthetics, RGS-IBG Annual International Conference. Cardiff.
- Jones, V. J. E. (2015), In Search of Vibrant Matter: A Polar Exploration, Third Annual Land2/ PLaCE International Postgraduate Event. Duncan of Jordanstone School of Art & Design, Dundee.
- Jones, V. J. E. (2014), Smell The City a Participatory Narrative: or Eight Lumps of Lard Down the Pub, Design Practices and Principles. University of British Colombia, Vancouver.