|Research Postgraduate (PhD) of Department of Geography|
Is supervised by
In a consumer society where wants and needs may be instantly fulfilled, waiting for anything seems increasingly like an anachronism. And yet whether in relation to flows of people or things, or the work of bureaucracies, spaces of waiting proliferate and are integral to how our society of connections and circulations functions. The study examines how the practice of waiting is embodied, with a particular focus on the new spaces of waiting created as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. It will attempt to move forward conceptualisations of waiting as an interruption, towards considering waiting as a form of affective-sensorial-material feeling. It is intended that the study will have impact within and outside the mobilities literature.
- Waiting, affect, materiality, sensory responses (particular interest in olfactory stimuli)
- Jones, Victoria J. E. (2020). Timescapes of waiting: spaces of stasis, delay and deferral. Social & Cultural Geography 21(5): 761.
Chapter in book
- Jones, V. J. E. (2017). Smell the City: A Participatory Art Installation. In Designing with Smell: Practices, Techniques And Challenges. Henshaw, V, D, Medway, K, McClean C, Perkins & G, Warnaby Routledge. 9-18.
- Jones, V. J. E. (2013). Space Travelling Invisible Scotland. In Invisible Scotland: Revealing a Process of Interdisciplinary Discovery. Modeen, M. Moray School of Art Press. 113.
- (2021), Feeling, Sensating in Suspension: Waiting in COVID-19 Shopping Queues, Uncommon Senses III. Virtual Conference, Concordia University, Montreal.
- Jones,V. J. E. (2021), Feeling in Suspension: Waiting in COVID-19 Shopping Queues, Material Life of Time. Virtual Conference.
- (2021), Feeling and Writing in Suspension: Waiting in COVID-19 Shopping Queues, American Association of Geographers, Annual Meeting. Virtual Conference.
- Jones, V. J. E. (2019), Moments of Collective Delight: A Paper of Two Halves Plus Extra Time, RGS-IBG Annual International Conference. London.
- Brigstocke, J. & Jones, V. J. E. (2018), Harena: Sand, Suspension, and Aesthetics, RGS-IBG Annual International Conference. Cardiff.
- Jones, V. J. E. (2015), In Search of Vibrant Matter: A Polar Exploration, Third Annual Land2/ PLaCE International Postgraduate Event. Duncan of Jordanstone School of Art & Design, Dundee.
- Jones, V. J. E. (2014), Smell The City a Participatory Narrative: or Eight Lumps of Lard Down the Pub, Design Practices and Principles. University of British Colombia, Vancouver.