Mr Yucheng Lin
Research Postgraduate (PhD)
MSc in Earth Sciences
|Research Postgraduate (PhD) in the Department of Geography||W601|
|Research Postgraduate (PhD) , Sea Level, Ice and Climate||601|
MSc (with COMMENDATION) in Earth Sciences (Advanced), Australian National University, Canberra, Australia (2017-2019)
- Thesis title: "Closing the Last Deglacial Global Sea-Level Budget by Different Antarctic Deglaciation Models"
- Supervisor: Dr Anthony Purcell
Most of my research focuses on understanding glacio-isostatic adjustment (GIA), which is a geophysical process between solid earth-ocean-ice sheets during glacial cycles.
In particular, I am interested in the 'missing ice' problem, which is largely associated with the poorly-constrained Antarctic deglaciation history during the last deglaciation (from the Last Glacial Maximum, LGM, ~21,000 years BP to present). Current estimations of Antarctic Ice Sheet's contribution to post-LGM global sea-level rise is ranging from ~5 to ~30 m, which largely hinders our understanding of Measurement of current Antarctic mass balance, Antarctic ice sheet's sustainability to the changing climate and future sea-level projection.
As my PhD project, I am using different kinds of observations, including field glacio-geological records and sea-level records, and numerical models to investigate the Antarctic contribution to the post-LGM global sea-level rise.
B.Eng in Resource Exploration Engineering, Chang'an University, Xi'an, China (2013-2017)
- Thesis title: "Controlling geological conditions analysis of an anonymous Cu-Au deposit in Fujian Province"
- Supervisor: Dr Huixia Chao
- 'Missing Ice' Problem
- Numerical Modelling
- Data Analysis
- Glacio-Isostatic Adjustment
- Antarctic Deglaciation History
- Global Sea-Level Change from Past to Future
- Lin, Yucheng, Whitehouse, Pippa L., Hibbert, Fiona D., Woodroffe, Sarah A., Hinestrosa, Gustavo & Webster, Jody M. (2023). Relative sea level response to mixed carbonate-siliciclastic sediment loading along the Great Barrier Reef margin. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 607: 118066.
- Jones, R., Johnson, J., Lin, Y., Mackintosh, A., Sefton, J., Smith, J., Thomas, E. & Whitehouse, P. (2022). Stability of the Antarctic Ice Sheet during the pre-Industrial Holocene. Nature Reviews Earth & Environment 3(8): 500–515.
- Lin, Y., Hibbert, F., Whitehouse, P., Woodroffe, S., Purcell, A., Shennan, I. & Bradley, S. (2021). A reconciled solution of Meltwater Pulse 1A sources using sea-level fingerprinting. Nature Communications 12: 2015.