|Research Postgraduate - Electrical Power Node in the Department of Engineering||3.0 Christopherson (CS annex)|
Zhi Zhang received the M.Sc. degree in electrical engineering in 2017 from Teesside University; and is now pursuing PhD degree in electrical engineering in the Department of Engineering at Durham University, the UK. Previously he worked as an electrical, instrumentation and control system engineer across a wide variety of industrial sectors including oil and gas, refinery, chemical and power plant. He developed a keen interest in power systems concerning smart grids, power systems automation and electromagnetic device design during the studying of master course of Electrical Power and Energy Systems at Teesside University. His research interests include power system monitoring and control, design and modelling of electromagnetic devices, data mining and processing of measurements.
My PhD project is to develop a new general physical model for interpreting the magnetization processes of non-oriented and grain-oriented electrical steel laminates. This objective has been achieved, the new hysteresis model developed has been tested for NO and GO electrical steel laminates under sinusoidal and non-sinusoidal excitations. The simulation results reveal close agreement with relevant measurements. The second objective of the PhD project is to develop a new energy loss separation model to interpret the physical mechanism of magnetization processes of NO and GO electrical steel laminates. The new energy loss separation model has been developed and tested for NO and GO electrical steel laminates, and the relevant papers are ongoing.
- Electrical machine design
- Magnetic core loss evaluation
- Magnetic hysteresis modelling
- Smart grid
- Transformer and generator FRA
- Zhang, Z., Hamzehbahmani, H., & Gaskell, P. (2023). A new hysteresis simulation method for interpreting the magnetic properties of non-oriented electrical steels. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 576, Article 170763. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmmm.2023.170763
- Zhang, Z., Hamzehbahmani, H., & Gaskell, P. H. (2022). A Novel Dynamic Hysteresis Model for Grain-Oriented Electrical Steels Based on Magnetic Domain Theory. IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 58(1), 1-9. https://doi.org/10.1109/tmag.2021.3128765