- Adult at Risk: A person over the age of 18 who has:
- a dependence on (the assistance of) others when performing basic functions, and / or
- a severe impairment in the ability to communicate with others, and / or
- a reduced ability to protect themselves from assault, abuse or neglect
- Abuse: The violation of an individual’s human rights by another person or people. Abuse can be a single or repeated act, and can be either active or passive (i.e. failing to prevent abuse). Types of abuse include psychological, physical, sexual, financial / material, discriminatory, and / or institutional.
A full list of definitions as outlined in the Safeguarding Children Policy is available.