Skip to main content

Applicant Frequently Asked Questions

Explore our frequently asked questions below. If you have a question not listed in our FAQs, please let us know.

One thing to remember…

… if you’re not sure, ask! Staff are here to help and guide you through this key stage in your life. We’re really looking forward to meeting you!

The Student Advisers desk in Palatine Centre, Lower Mountjoy campus

Purple Line Separator

“Should I tell the University I have a disability?”

Ideally, yes. If you tell us, we can work with you to help set up personal support.  

Purple Line Separator Slim

“When should I do this?”

As early as possible.

If you are applying as an undergraduate, you can disclose disability on your UCAS application form. If you are applying as a postgraduate, you can disclose disability on your university application form.

We’d also ask you to complete our Tell Us More Form and let us know directly about your disability-related needs.

Purple Line Separator Slim

“Who else might I need to tell I’m going to university?”

Anyone involved in your care or disability related treatment. That might be your GP, specialist clinician, mental health practitioner or medical consultant. If you’re in receipt of social services support, you need to let your provider know you may be leaving the area to live at university. It can take time to transfer care and support arrangements between health or local authority areas. It’s important you make people aware of your plans at the application stage, so they can support you in making a successful transition.

Purple Line Separator Slim

“What about visits? Do I have to visit the university before or after applying?”

No. But you may find it helpful. Other options which can help you get a feel for the university, the city and its layout are the University website; the city access guide and the AccessAble pages. If you need support to attend an open day please let the Student Recruitment Team know.

Purple Line Separator Slim

“Is there anything else I need to do in advance of starting university?”

Yes. Make sure you have appropriate disability evidence in the form of medical letters or a psychological diagnostic assessment report. You will be asked by university disability services and by other parties to provide this at key stages.

Purple Line Separator Slim

“What about funded support?”

You can apply for personal funded support to help you at university. For UK undergraduate students this is primarily through the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) fund. Applications for DSA normally start late March in the year you intend to go to university. Apply early! The whole process can take up to 14 weeks after you’ve applied. Don’t worry if your plans aren’t firm or change later. Your funded support will follow you to the university you ultimately end up attending.

Other sources of funded support may be available for postgraduates. International and EU students should check for potential funding from their home country.