|Assistant Professor in International Security in the School of Government and International Affairs||Room IM209, Al Qasimi Building||+44 (0) 191 33 45657|
Dr Alex Neads joined the Durham Global Security Institute as an Assistant Professor in International Security in 2021.
Alex's research explores the shifting construction and diffusion of military power, and its implications for international conflict and stability. He is particularly interested in the linkages between military change and innovation, domestic politics, and the conduct of war. His current research examines the diffusion of martial practices through military-to-military assistance activities, specifically the principal-agent politics of military capacity building and proxy sponsorship.
Prior to joining the School of Government and International Affairs, Alex held a research post at the Univeristy of Bath focusing on the implications of technological change for international security. He was also previously based at the Defence Academy of the United Kingdom as part of Cranfield Univeristy, where he taught extensively overseas.
Alex read for his PhD in Strategy and Security at the University of Exeter. Additionally, he holds an MPhil in Modern British and European History from the University of Oxford, and a BA (Hons) in History from Royal Holloway, University of London.
Michaelmas Term 2021:
Tuesdays 10:15-11:15, in-person drop-in (teachings weeks 1-9 only)
Thursdays 09:45-10:45, online only via Teams. Email me to book in advance.
- Construction and diffusion of martial power
- Warfare and the history of war
- Security (force) assistance, military capacity building, and defence engagement
- Principal-agent theory and the use of proxies
- Military change and innovation, including defence reform processes
- Sociology of armed forces, especially military cohesion
- Civil-military relations and the politics of defence
- Galbreath, David J. & Neads, Alex (2020). Defence Studies. Critical Concepts in Military, Strategic, and Security Studies. Routledge.
- Aslam, Wali & Neads, Alex (2021). Renegotiating societal-military relations in Pakistan: the case of the Pashtun Tahafuz Movement. Democratization 28(2): 265.
- Neads, Alex (2021). Rival principals and shrewd agents: Military assistance and the diffusion of warfare. European Journal of International Security 6(2): 233.
- Neads, Alex (2020). You're in the Army Now: The Politics of Cohesion During Military Integration in Sierra Leone. Security Studies 29(5): 894.
- Neads, Alex (2019). Improvise, adapt and fail to overcome? Capacity building, culture and exogenous change in Sierra Leone. Journal of Strategic Studies 42(3-4): 425.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Neads, Alex & Bury, Patrick (2019). Reforming the Army Reserve: A Response. Wavell Room.
- Neads, Alex, Galbreath, David J. & Farrell, Theo (2021). From Tools to Teammates: Human-Machine Teaming and the Future of Command and Control in the Australian Army. Commonwealth of Australia - Australian Army Research Centre.