|Assistant Professor in the Department of Engineering||E254 Higginson||+44 (0) 191 33 42451|
Alexandros is an Assistant Professor of Offshore Geotechnics within the Department of Engineering at Durham University. He received his MEng (Mining) from Technical University of Athens in 2009 (Greece), his MSc in Geomechanics from TU Delft (Netherlands) in 2012 and his PhD from UC Davis in 2018 (USA). He has worked as a researcher at the finite element software company Plaxis BV (currently part of Bentley systems) and also as a postdoctoral researcher at Chalmers University (Sweden) and Imperial College (UK).
Alexandros' research interests lies in the areas of: (i) soil and metal plasticity with a specific focus on cyclic loading and ratcheting, (ii) numerical analysis of geotechnical problems (iii) soil-atmosphere interaction modelling and coupled phenomena in geotechnics (iv) non-destructive soil testing with the use of XRCT.
- Development of a soil constitutive model for cyclic loading and ratcheting of offshore sands
- Metal plasticity for uniaxial and multiaxial ratcheting
- Development of a mini-triaxial apparatus for testing with XRCT
- Numerical modelling of offshore structures
Chapter in book
- Gerolymatou, Eleni & Petalas, Alexandros (2019). In Situ Stress Assessment Based on Width and Depth of Brittle Borehole Breakouts. In Recent Developments of Soil Mechanics and Geotechnics in Theory and Practice. 91: 297.
- Bokkisa, Srinivas Vivek, Macedo, Jorge, Petalas, Alexandros L. & Arson, Chloé (2022). Assessing static liquefaction triggering considering fabric anisotropy effects under the ACST framework. Computers and Geotechnics 148: 104796.
- Petalas, Alexandros L., Dafalias, Yannis F. & Papadimitriou, Achilleas G. (2020). SANISAND-F: Sand constitutive model with evolving fabric anisotropy. International Journal of Solids and Structures 188-189: 12.
- Petalas, Alexandros L., Dafalias, Yannis F. & Papadimitriou, Achilleas G. (2019). SANISAND‐FN: An evolving fabric‐based sand model accounting for stress principal axes rotation. International Journal for Numerical and Analytical Methods in Geomechanics 43(1): 97.
- Petalas, Alexandros L. & Dafalias, Yannis F. (2019). Implicit integration of incrementally non-linear, zero- elastic range, bounding surface plasticity. Computers and Geotechnics 112: 386.
- Vahid Galavi, Alexandros Petalas & R. B. J. Brinkgreve (2013). Finite element modelling of seismic liquefaction in soils. Geotechnical Engineering Journal of the SEAGS & AGSSEA