|Assistant Professor in the Department of Classics and Ancient History|
As an Education-track Assistant Professor in the Department of Classics & Ancient History, I teach classical Greek and Latin language and literature, as well as the history of writing. My specialist research area is the Linear B writing system, used to write administrative documents in prehistoric Greece (c.1400-1200 BCE); I am also interested in pedagogical scholarship, particularly on the teaching of classical languages, and educational uses of Wikipedia.
Before starting at Durham in September 2022, I completed my PhD in Classics at the University of Cambridge in 2016, and subsequently held a Research Fellowship in Classics at Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (2016-2020), and a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship at the British School at Athens (2020-2022).
School talks and outreach
I am happy to give talks on topics related to the history of writing in the ancient Mediterranean and Near East: previous topics include writing in Roman Britain and the decipherment of Linear B. I can also lead activities in which students make and write their own Linear B tablets, and have produced a video and worksheet about making tablets (in English and Greek) to use in school or at home.
My office hours for students and mentees are:
Tuesdays 2-3pm (drop-in)
Fridays 2-3pm (sign up in advance for in-person or Zoom: Anna Judson's office hours)
My office is Room 102, Dun Cow Lane.
- The Linear B writing system
- Mycenaean Greek
- Aegean & Cypriot writing systems
- Greek historical linguistics
- Classical pedagogy
Chapter in book
- Judson, Anna P. (2017). The decipherment: people, process, challenges. In Codebreakers & Groundbreakers. Christophilopoulou, Anastasia, Galanakis, Yannis & Grime, James Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge. 15-29.
- Judson, Anna P. (2017). Processes of script adaptation and creation in Linear B: the evidence of the "extra" signs. In Understanding Relations Between Scripts: the Aegean Writing Systems. Steele, Philippa M. Oxbow Books. 111-126.
- Judson, Anna P. (2017). Palaeography, administration, and scribal training: a case-study. In Aegean Scripts. Proceedings of the 14th International Colloquium on Mycenaean Studies, Copenhagen, 2-5 September 2015. Landenius Enegren, Hedvig & Nosch, Marie-Louise CNR-ISMA. 193-208.
Edited Sources, Research Data Sets and Databases
- Judson, Anna P. (2020). CoPY: Concordance to Pylos scribal attributions.
- Judson, Anna P. (2023). THE TABLET-MAKERS OF PYLOS: AN EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION INTO THE PRODUCTION OF LINEAR B TABLETS. The Annual of the British School at Athens 1.
- Gnanadesikan, Amalia E. & Judson, Anna P. (2022). Diversity in writing systems. Written Language & Literacy 24(2): 167.
- Judson, Anna P. (2022). LEARNING TO SPELL IN LINEAR B: ORTHOGRAPHY AND SCRIBAL TRAINING IN MYCENAEAN PYLOS. The Cambridge Classical Journal 68: 133-163.
- Judson, Anna P. (2020). Scribes as Editors: Tracking Changes in the Linear B Documents. American Journal of Archaeology 124(4): 523-549.
- Judson, Anna P. (2020). Orthographic variation as evidence for the development of the Linear B writing system. Written Language & Literacy 22(2): 179-197.
- Judson, Anna P., Bennet, John, Davis, Jack L. & Stocker, Sharon R. (2019). Two new Linear B tablets and an enigmatic find from Bronze Age Pylos (Palace of Nestor). Kadmos 58(1-2): 111-123.
- Judson, Anna P. (2017). The mystery of the Mycenaean “labyrinth” the value of Linear B pu2 and related signs. Studi micenei ed egeo-anatolici nuova serie 3: 53-72.
- Judson, Anna P. (2013). The Linear B Inscribed Stirrup Jars. Kadmos 52(1): 69-110.