|Associate Professor in the Department of Engineering||E325 (Floor 3.5 Christopherson)||+44 (0) 191 33 41734|
|Fellow in the Durham Energy Institute|
I received my PhD in Electrical and Electronic Engineering emphasising on Power Systems from the University of Glasgow in 2011. Shortly after I joined the School of Engineering and Computer Science at Durham University where I worked as a Post Doctoral Research Associate (PDRA) from February 2012 till September 2013. I have been with the Department of Engineering (formerly School of Engineering and Computer Science) at Durham University first as an Assistant Professor between September 2013 - July 2020 and as an Associate Professor since July 2020.
My principal research interests are in advanced electrical power systems modelling, analysis, simulation and optimisation for improving performance and reliability of future flexible power systems.
I have in the past looked at problems that encompass reliability of large-scale offshore wind farms (e.g. UK round 3 developments) where I have focused on efficient and reliable grid integration of the wind farm to the grid. The research covers a wide variety of subjects, from developing tools for evaluating effects of large scale wind power in system adequacy (ability to meet demand), cost-benefit analysis of deploying alternative offshore connections, and integration of energy storage for maintaining performance standards within the whole power network.
I have lately been working on flexible power systems especially hybrid AC/DC networks with an outlook of planning and optimising the operation of such systems. In this context, I am interested at looking at operational aspects in which the controllability and reliability of the system is improved by employing flexible power flow control. This research area focuses on both large-scale integration of HVDC systems within existing AC transmission systems as well as integration of AC/DC networks in distribution networks.
I have used a variety of computational packages over the years including MATLAB based MATPOWER power systems simulation package, PSCAD/EMTDC for dynamic simulations in power systems, and general- purpose model-based language packages such as AIMMS for optimisation problems.
I am interested in hearing from prospective PhD students who may be intersted in pursuing a research career into advanced topics of power systems operation and reliability. I am also interested in students in relevant areas of mathematics and physics, particularly data sciences, and statistics who are looking for applied problems in future energy/power systems.
- Advanced Power Systems Modelling
- Decision Making under Uncertainty
- Flexibility and Resiliency in Future Power Systems
- Power Electronics (FACTS/HVDC)
- Reliability Evaluation of Power Systems
- Renewable Energy Integration (Wind Power)
- Optimal Power Flows
- Power System Dynamics
- 2020: Testing Voltage Levels In Legacy Appliances(£34569.00 from )
- 2017: Holistic Operation and Maintenance for Energy from Offshore Wind Farms(£311164.00 from )
- 2017: Novel Power System Planning Techniques To Support Decisions On Offshore Transmission Assets Taken Under Severe Uncertainties Supported By Probability Bounding Method(£43374.00 from Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult)
- Acha, E., Roncero-Sánchez, P., de la Villa Jaén, A., Castro, L. M. & Kazemtabrizi, B. (2019). VSC-FACTS-HVDC: Modelling, Analysis and Simulation in Power Grids. Wiley.
Chapter in book
- Hogg, S. I., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Williams, R. (2017). Assessment of operation and maintenance strategies. In UK Wind Energy Technologies. Hogg, S. I. & Crabtree, C. J. Routledge. 259-282.
- Pina-Gongora, Diana C, Kazemtabrizi, B & Crabtree, Christopher (2022), Performance comparison of Probabilistic and Artificial Neural Network Models for Long-sequence Generation of Wind Speed Forecasts, 21st Wind and Solar Integration Workshop. The Hague, Netherlands, IET.
- Cruz Victorio, M. E., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Shahbazi, M. (2021), Price Forecast Methodologies Comparison for Microgrid Control with Multi-Agent Systems, 14th IEEE PES Power Tech Conference. Madrid / Virtual, IEEE.
- Cruz Victorio, M. E., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Shahbazi, M. (2020), Distributed Real-Time Power Management in Microgrids using Multi-agent Control with Provisions of Fault Tolerance, 29th IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics. Delft, Netherlands, IEEE, 108-113.
- Li, Xiangyu, Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Crabtree, Christopher J. (2020), Optimisation of Large Offshore Wind Farm Layout Considering Reliability and Wake Effect, 12: ASME Turbo Expo 2020. London, ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers).
- Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Crabtree, Christopher J. (2019), Impacts of Reliability on Operational Performance and Cost of Energy Evaluation of Multimegawatt, Far-offshore Wind Turbines, Volume 3: Structures, Safety, and Reliability: ASME 38th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore & Arctic Engineering (OMAE) 2019. Glasgow, UK, American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
- Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Crabtree, Christopher J. (2019), Modelling the Effects of Reliability and Maintenance on Levelised Cost of Wind Energy, ASME Turbo Expo 2019. Phoenix, AZ, USA.
- Thompson, A., Kazemtabrizi, B., Crabtree, C. J., Dao, C., Dinmohamdi, F. & Flynn, D. (2019), Reliability and Economic Evaluation of High Voltage Direct Current interconnectors for large-scale renewable energy integration and transmission, 15th IET International conference on AC and DC Power Transmission. Coventry, UK, IET.
- Bains, Henna, Madariaga, Ander, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Troffaes, Matthias C. M. (2019), The Impact of Offshore Transmission Regulatory Regimes on Technology Choices, CIGRE Symposium. Aalborg.
- Cruz Victorio, M. E., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Shahbazi, M. (2019), Decentralised Real-time Optimisation of Power Management in Microgrids Using Multi-Agent Control, 9th International Conference on Power and Energy Systems. Perth, Australia, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 1-6.
- Bustos, A. A. & Kazemtabrizi, B. (2018), Flexible General Branch Model Unified Power Flow Algorithm for Future Flexible AC/DC Networks, 18th IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering. Palermo, Italy, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ.
- Cervantes, C. J. F., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Troffaes, M. C. M. (2018), Contingency Ranking in Power Systems via Reliability Rates, 18th IEEE International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering. Palermo, Italy, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ.
- Ibrahim, A. A., Kazemtabrizi, B., Bordin, C., Dent, C., McTigue, J. & White, A. (2017), Pumped Thermal Electricity Storage for Active Distribution Network Applications, 2017 12th IEEE PES Powertech Conference. Manchester, England, IEEE, Piscataway.
- Heylen, Evelyn, Deconinck, Geert, Van Hertem, Dirk, Troffaes, Matthias C. M. & Kazemtabrizi, Behzad (2017), Qualitative comparison of techniques for evaluating performance of short term power system reliability management, 2017 IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference Europe (ISGT-Europe). Torino, Italy, IEEE, Piscataway, 333-339.
- Meng, F., Kazemtabrizi, B., Zeng, X. J. & Dent, C. (2017), An Optimal Differential Pricing in Smart Grid Based on Customer Segmentation, ISGT Europe 2017. Torino, Italy, IEEE, Piscataway, 1-6.
- Sheehy, S., Edwards, G., Dent, C. J., Kazemtabrizi, B., Troffaes, M. C. M. & Tindemans, S. (2016), Impact of high wind penetration on variability of unserved energy in power system adequacy, International Conference on Probabilistic Methods Applied to Power Systems (PMAPS). Beijing, IEEE, Piscataway, NJ, 1-6.
- Chappa, H. K., Thakur, T. & Kazemtabrizi, B. (2016), A new voltage instability detection index based on real-time synchronophasor measurements, 2016 IEEE 16th International Conference on Environment and Electrical Engineering (EEEIC). Florence, Italy, IEEE, 1-5.
- Ibrahim, A. A., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Dent, C. (2016), Operational Planning and Optimisation in Active Distribution Networks using Modern Intelligent Power Flow Controllers, IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies. Ljubljana, Slovenia, IEEE.
- Shahbazi, M., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Dent, C. (2016), Coordinated Control of DC Voltage Magnitudes and State of Charges in a Cluster of DC Microgrids, IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies. Ljubljana, Slovenia, IEEE.
- Ahmad, T., Matthews, P.C., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Smith, CJ (2015), Dynamic Wind Farm Conroller, 11th EAWE PhD Seminar on Wind Energy in Europe. Stuttgart, Germany, EAWE, Stuttgart.
- Ahmad, Tanvir, Matthews, Peter & Kazemtabrizi, Behzad (2015), PSO based wind farm controller for production maximisation, Eurogen 2015. Strathclyde, Glasgow.
- Ahmad, T., Girard, N., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Matthews, P.C. (2015), Analysis of Two Onshore Wind Farms with a Dynamic Farm Controller, European Wind Energy Association 2015. Paris, France, European Wind Energy Association, Paris.
- Kazemtabrizi, B. & Hogg, S. (2014), A New Simulation and Control Model for a Variable Speed Variable Pitch Direct Drive Large Offshore Wind Turbine Generator With Integrated Energy Storage, 3B: ASME Turbo Expo 2014. Dusseldorf, Germany, ASME, Dsseldorf, V03BT46A013.
- Smith, C.J., Crabtree, C.J., Matthews, P.C. & Kazemtabrizi, B. (2014), Modelling and Evaluation of Wind Speed Time Series for Reliability Analysis of Offshore Wind Farms, 10th PhD Seminar on Wind Energy in Europe, EAWE. Orléans, France, EAWE, Orléans, 159-162.
- Ahmad, T., Smith, C.J., Matthews, P.C., Crabtree, C.J. & Kazemtabrizi, B. (2014), Determining the Wind Speed Distribution within a Wind Farm considering Site Wind Characteristics and Wake Effects, 10th PhD Seminar on Wind Energy in Europe, EAWE. Orléans, France, EAWE, 131-134.
- Kazemtabrizi, B., Crabtree, C.J. & Hogg, S.I. (2013), Reliability Evaluation of New Offshore Wind Farm Electrical Grid Connection Topologies, 8: ASME Turbo Expo 2013: Turbine Technical Conference and Exposition. San Antonio, USA, ASME, New York, V008T44A008.
- Kazemtabrizi, B. & Acha, E. (2012), A comparison study between mathematical models of Static VAR Compensators aimed at optimal power flow solutions, 2012 16th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference. 1125 - 1128.
- Cruz-Victorio, Marcos, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Shahbazi, Mahmoud (2022). Real-time resilient Microgrid power management based on multi-agent systems with price forecast. IET Smart Grid
- Cruz Victorio, Marcos Eduardo, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Mahmoud, Shahbazi (2022). Statistical Evaluation of Wind Speed Forecast Models for Microgrid Distributed Control. IET Smart Grid 5(5): 347-362.
- Ferrandon-Cervantes, C. J., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Troffaes, M. C. M. (2022). Inclusion of Frequency Stability Constraints in Unit Commitment Using Separable Programming. Electric Power Systems Research 203: 107669.
- Thomas, Huw, Sun, Hongjian & Kazemtabrizi, Behzad (2021). Closest Energy Matching: Improving peer‐to‐peer energy trading auctions for EV owners. IET Smart Grid 4(4): 445-460.
- Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, Behzad, Crabtree, Christopher J. & Tavner, Peter J. (2021). Integrated condition-based maintenance modelling and optimisation for offshore wind farms. Wind Energy 24(11): 1180-1198.
- Alvarez-Bustos, Abraham, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad, Shahbazi, Mahmoud & Acha, Enrique (2021). Universal Branch Model for the Solution of Optimal Power Flows in Hybrid AC/DC Grids. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems 126(Part A): 106543.
- Bains, Henna, Madariaga, Ander, Troffaes, Matthias C. M. & Kazemtabrizi, Behzad (2020). An Economic Model for Offshore Transmission Asset Planning Under Severe Uncertainty. Renewable Energy 160: 1174-1184.
- Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Crabtree, Christopher J. (2020). Offshore Wind Turbine Reliability and Operational Simulation under Uncertainties. Wind Energy 23(10): 1919-1938.
- Asrul Ibrahim, Ahmad, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Renedo, Javier (2019). Security-constrained day-ahead operational planning for flexible hybrid AC/DC distribution networks. Applied Sciences 9(21): 4685.
- Dao, Cuong D., Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Crabtree, Christopher J. (2019). Wind Turbine Reliability Data Review and Impacts on Levelised Cost of Energy. Wind Energy 22(12): 1848-1871.
- Zhang, Y., Meng, F., Wang, R., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Shi, J. (2019). Uncertainty-resistant Stochastic MPC Approach for Optimal Operation of CHP Microgrid. Energy 179: 1265-1278.
- Renedo, J., Ibrahim, A. A., Kazemtabrizi, B., Garcia-Cerrada, A., Rouco, L., Zhao, Q. & Garcia-Gonzalez, J. (2019). A simplified algorithm to solve optimal power flows in hybrid VSC-based AC/DC systems. International Journal of Electrical Power and Energy Systems 110: 781-794.
- Ahmad, Tanvir, Basit, Abdul, Ahsan, Muneeb, Coupiac, Olivier, Girard, Nicolas, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Matthews, Peter (2019). Implementation and Analyses of Yaw Based Coordinated Control of Wind Farms. Energies 12(7): 1266.
- Ahmad, Tanvir, Basit, Abdul, Anwar, Juveria, Coupiac, Olivier, Kazemtabrizi, Behzad & Matthews, Peter (2019). Fast Processing Intelligent Wind Farm Controller for Production Maximisation. Energies 12(3): 544.
- Ahmad, T., Coupliac, O., Petit, A., Guignard, S., Girard, N., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Matthews, P. (2018). Field Implementation and Trial of Coordinated Control of Wind Farms. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy 9(3): 1169-1176.
- Kazemtabrizi, B & Acha, E (2014). An Advanced STATCOM Model for Optimal Power Flows Using Newton's Method. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 29(2): 514-525
- Acha, E., Kazemtabrizi, B. & Castro, L. M. (2013). A New VSC-HVDC Model for Power Flows Using the Newton-Raphson Method. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 28(3): 2602-2612.
- Acha, E. & Kazemtabrizi, B. (2013). A New STATCOM Model for Power Flows Using the Newton–Raphson Method. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 28(3): 2455-2465.