|Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology||L63||+44 (0) 191 33 43235|
|Research Associate in the Institute for Medical Humanities|
|Associate Fellow in the Institute of Advanced Study|
|Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing|
I joined the department as a Postdoctoral Research Associate in November 2012. Prior to this I completed my PhD in Psychology at the University of Edinburgh, and worked as a Research Co-ordinator for Lime Trees Child & Adolescent Mental Health team in the NHS in York.
Since 2012 I have been a member of Hearing the Voice, an interdisciplinary research project on auditory verbal hallucinations (or voice-hearing) funded by the Wellcome Trust. In 2015 I became a co-investigator for the project, which will finish in 2020.
I am interested in inner speech and the interactions between cognition and language in typical and atypical development. My work has included research on executive function and categorisation in autism spectrum disorders, semantic and problem-solving skills in deafness, and hallucination experiences in clinical and non-clinical populations.
Reviewing & Editing
Ad-Hoc Reviewing: Autism Research, Biological Psychiatry, British Journal of Psychiatry, Cognitive Development, Cognitive Science, Cognitive Neuropsychiatry, Consciousness & Cognition, Early Childhood Research Quarterly, Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, Human Brain Mapping, Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, Journal of Autism & Developmental Disorders, Journal of Behavior Therapy & Experimental Psychiatry, Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, Journal of Psychiatric Research, Lancet Psychiatry, Neuroimage: Clinical, Neuroscience of Consciousness, Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, Psychological Medicine, Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders, Research in Developmental Disabilites, Review of Philosophy & Psychology, Scandinavian Journal of Psychology, Schizophrenia Bulletin, Translational Psychiatry
Editing: Guest Editor, Review of Philosophy & Psychology, "Voices and Thoughts in Psychosis" Special Issue.
- Developmental Psychopathology
- Voice-hearing and Schizophrenia
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Executive Functioning
- 2016: International Consortium on Hallucinations Research, North American Satellite Meeting, University of Illinois, Chicago, IL. : Invited speaker. Talk: ;“Searching for Speech and Language in Voice-Hearers Without Diagnoses”. 27th September 2016
- 2016: Royal College of Psychiatrists, Spirituality and Psychiatry Special Interest Group Conference “Hallucinations and Spiritual Experience: Voices, Visions and Revelation”: Invited speaker. Talk: ;“Voices and the Etheric: A Research Study of Spiritualist Experience”. 25th November 2016
- 2016: Wellcome Trust Small Arts Award Committee: Scientific Advisor
- 2015: International Consortium on Hallucinations Research, Hearing Voices and Hallucinations: Research, Practice and Recovery, St Vincent’s Hospital, Melbourne VA. : Invited speaker. Talk: ;“Inner Speech”. 21st October 2015.
- Alderson-Day, Ben, Corlett, Philip, Deeley, Quinton, Dupois, David, Lifshitz, Michael, Moseley, Peter, Peters, Emmanuelle, Powell, Adam & Powers III, Albert (Accepted). Learning to discern the voices of gods, spirits, tulpas and the dead. Schizophrenia Bulletin
- Moseley, Peter, Powell, Adam, Woods, Angela, Fernyhough, Charles & Alderson-Day, Ben (Accepted). Voice-hearing across the continuum: a phenomenology of spiritual voices. Schizophrenia Bulletin
- Dudley, Robert, Dodgson, Guy, Common, Stephanie, O'Grady, Lucy, Watson, Florence, Gibbs, Christopher, Arnott, Bronia, Fernyhough, Charles, Alderson-Day, Ben, Ogundimu, Emmanuel, Kharatikoopaei, Ehsan, Patton, Victoria & Aynsworth, Charlotte (2022). Managing Unusual Sensory Experiences in People with First-Episode Psychosis (MUSE FEP): a study protocol for a single-blind parallel-group randomised controlled feasibility trial. BMJ Open 12: e061827.
- Alderson-Day, Ben, Moseley, Peter, Mitrenga, Kaja, Moffatt, Jamie, Lee, Rebecca, Foxwell, John, Hayes, Jacqueline, Smailes, David & Fernyhough, Charles (2022). Varieties of felt presence? Three surveys of presence phenomena and their relations to psychopathology. Psychological Medicine 1-9.
- Mayer, Claire, Dodgson, Guy, Woods, Angela & Alderson‐Day, Ben (2022). “Figuring out how to be normal” Exploring how young people and parents make sense of voice‐hearing in the family context. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice
- Moseley, Peter, Alderson-Day, Ben, Common, Stephanie, Dodgson, Guy, Lee, Rebecca, Mitrenga, Kaja, Moffatt, Jamie & Fernyhough, Charles (2022). Continuities and Discontinuities in the Cognitive Mechanisms Associated With Clinical and Nonclinical Auditory Verbal Hallucinations. Clinical Psychological Science
- Wilkinson, Sam, Green, Huw, Hare, Stephanie, Houlders, Joseph, Humpston, Clara & Alderson-Day, Benjamin (2021). Thinking about hallucinations: why philosophy matters. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry 1.
- Smailes, David, Alderson-Day, Ben, Hazell, Cassie, Wright, Abigail & Moseley, Peter (2021). Measurement practices in hallucinations research. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry
- Dodgson, Guy, Aynsworth, Charlotte, Mitrenga, Kaja J., Gibbs, Chistopher, Patton, Victoria, Fernyhough, Charles, Dudley, Robert, Ewels, Carina, Leach, Louise, Alderson‐Day, Ben & Common, Stephanie (2021). Managing unusual sensory experiences: A feasibility trial in an At Risk Mental States for psychosis group. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice 94(3): 481-503.
- Thompson, Rhiannon, Hallas, Laura, Moseley, Peter & Alderson-Day, Ben (2021). Cognitive and phenomenological characteristics of hallucination-proneness across the lifespan. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry 26(1): 18-34.
- Collins, Luke C., Semino, Elena, Demjén, Zsófia, Hardie, Andrew, Moseley, Peter, Woods, Angela & Alderson-Day, Ben (2020). A linguistic approach to the psychosis continuum: (dis)similarities and (dis)continuities in how clinical and non-clinical voice-hearers talk about their voices. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry 25(6): 447-465.
- Dodgson, Guy, Alderson-Day, Ben, Smailes, David, Ryles, Faye, Mayer, Claire, Glen-Davison, Joanne, Mitrenga, Kaja & Fernyhough, Charles (2021). Tailoring cognitive behavioural therapy to subtypes of voice-hearing using a novel tabletised manual: a feasibility study. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy 49(3): 287-301.
- Moffatt, Jamie, Mitrenga, Kaja Julia, Alderson-Day, Ben, Moseley, Peter & Fernyhough, Charles (2020). Inner experience differs in rumination and distraction without a change in electromyographical correlates of inner speech. PLOS ONE 15(9): e0238920.
- Alderson-Day, Ben, Moffatt, Jamie, Bernini, Marco, Mitrenga, Kaja, Yao, Bo & Fernyhough, Charles (2020). Processing Speech and Thoughts during Silent Reading: Direct Reference Effects for Speech by Fictional Characters in Voice-Selective Auditory Cortex and a Theory-of-Mind Network. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 32(9): 1637-1653.
- Alderson-Day, Ben, Woods, Angela, Moseley, Peter, Dodgson, Guy, Deamer, Felicity, Common, Stephanie & Fernyhough, Charles (2021). Voice-Hearing and Personification: Characterizing Social Qualities of Auditory Verbal Hallucinations in Early Psychosis. Schizophrenia Bulletin 47(1): 228-236.
- Foxwell, John, Alderson-Day, Ben, Fernyhough, Charles & Woods, Angela (2020). ‘I’ve learned I need to treat my characters like people’ Varieties of agency and interaction in Writers’ experiences of their Characters’ Voices. Consciousness and Cognition 79: 102901.
- Kafadar, Eren, Mittal, Vijay A., Strauss, Gregory P., Chapman, Hannah C., Ellman, Lauren M., Bansal, Sonia, Gold, James M., Alderson-Day, Ben, Evans, Samuel, Moffatt, Jamie, Silverstein, Steven M., Walker, Elaine F., Woods, Scott W., Corlett, Philip R. & Powers, Albert R. (2020). Modeling perception and behavior in individuals at clinical high risk for psychosis: Support for the predictive processing framework. Schizophrenia Research 226(December): 167-175.
- Mitrenga, Kaja Julia, Alderson-Day, Ben, May, Lucy, Moffatt, Jamie, Moseley, Peter & Fernyhough, Charles (2019). Reading characters in voices: Ratings of personality characteristics from voices predict proneness to auditory verbal hallucinations. PLOS ONE 14(8): e0221127.
- Fernyhough, C., Watson, A., Bernini, M., Moseley, P & Alderson-Day, B. (2019). Imaginary companions, inner speech and auditory verbal hallucinations: What are the relations? Frontiers in Psychology: Cognitive Science 10: 1665.
- Hadden, Lowri M., Alderson‐Day, Ben, Jackson, Mike, Fernyhough, Charles & Bentall, Richard P. (2020). The auditory‐verbal hallucinations of Welsh–English bilingual people. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice 93(1): 122-133.
- Luhrmann, Tanya Marie, Alderson-Day, Ben, Bell, Vaughan, Bless, Josef J, Corlett, Philip, Hugdahl, Kenneth, Jones, Nev, Larøi, Frank, Moseley, Peter, Padmavati, Ramachandran, Peters, Emmanuelle, Powers, Albert R & Waters, Flavie (2019). Beyond Trauma: A Multiple Pathways Approach to Auditory Hallucinations in Clinical and Nonclinical Populations. Schizophrenia Bulletin 45(Supplement_1): S24-S31.
- Thomas, Neil, Bless, Josef J, Alderson-Day, Ben, Bell, Imogen H, Cella, Matteo, Craig, Tom, Delespaul, Philippe, Hugdahl, Kenneth, Laloyaux, Julien, Larøi, Frank, Lincoln, Tania M, Schlier, Björn, Urwyler, Prabitha, van den Berg, David & Jardri, Renaud (2019). Potential Applications of Digital Technology in Assessment, Treatment, and Self-help for Hallucinations. Schizophrenia Bulletin 45(Supplement_1): S32-S42.
- Alderson-Day, B., Smailes, D., Moffatt, J., Mitrenga, K., Moseley, P. & Fernyhough, C. (2019). Intentional inhibition but not source memory is related to hallucination-proneness and intrusive thoughts in a university sample. Cortex 113: 267-278.
- Corlett, Philip R., Horga, Guillermo, Fletcher, Paul C., Alderson-Day, Ben, Schmack, Katharina & Powers, Albert R. (2019). Hallucinations and Strong Priors. Trends in Cognitive Sciences 23(2): 114.
- Moseley, Peter, Alderson-Day, Ben, Kumar, Sukhbinder & Fernyhough, Charles (2018). Musical hallucinations, musical imagery, and earworms: A new phenomenological survey. Consciousness and Cognition 65: 83-94.
- Alderson-Day, B., Mitrenga, K., Wilkinson, S., McCarthy-Jones, S. & Fernyhough, C. (2018). The varieties of inner speech questionnaire – Revised (VISQ-R): Replicating and refining links between inner speech and psychopathology. Consciousness & Cognition 65: 48-58.
- Alderson-Day, Ben & Jones, Nev (2018). Understanding AVATAR therapy: who, or what, is changing? The Lancet Psychiatry 5(1): 2.
- Alderson-Day, B., Lima, C., Evans, S., Krishnan, S., Shanmugalingam, P., Fernyhough, C. & Scott, S. (2017). Distinct Processing of Ambiguous Speech in People with Non-Clinical Auditory Verbal Hallucinations. Brain 140(9): 2475-2489.
- Alderson-Day, B., Bernini, M. & Fernyhough, C. (2017). Uncharted features and dynamics of reading: Voices, characters, and crossing of experiences. Consciousness and Cognition 49: 98-109.
- Hurlburt, R. T., Alderson-Day, B., Fernyhough, C. & Kühn, S. (2017). Can inner experience be apprehended in high fidelity? Examining brain activation and experience from multiple perspectives. Frontiers in Psychology 8: 43.
- Garrison, J. R., Moseley, P. Alderson-Day, B., Smailes, D., Fernyhough, C. & Simons, J. S. (2017). Testing continuum models of psychosis: No reduction in source monitoring ability in healthy individuals prone to auditory hallucinations. Cortex 91: 197-207.
- Alderson-Day, Ben, Diederen, Kelly, Fernyhough, Charles, Ford, Judith M., Horga, Guillermo, Margulies, Daniel S., McCarthy-Jones, Simon, Northoff, Georg, Shine, James M., Turner, Jessica, van de Ven, Vincent, van Lutterveld, Remko, Waters, Flavie & Jardri, Renaud (2016). Auditory Hallucinations and the Brain’s Resting-State Networks: Findings and Methodological Observations. Schizophrenia Bulletin 42(5): 1110-1123.
- Hurlburt, Russell T., Alderson-Day, Ben, Kühn, Simone & Fernyhough, Charles (2016). Exploring the Ecological Validity of Thinking on Demand: Neural Correlates of Elicited vs. Spontaneously Occurring Inner Speech. PLoS ONE 11(2): e0147932.
- Moseley, Peter, Alderson-Day, Ben, Ellison, Amanda, Jardri, Renaud & Fernyhough, Charles (2016). Non-invasive Brain Stimulation and Auditory Verbal Hallucinations: New Techniques and Future Directions. Frontiers in Neuroscience 9: 515.
- Alderson-Day, B. & Fernyhough, C. (2016). Auditory verbal hallucinations: Social, but how? Journal of Consciousness Studies 23(7-8): 163-194.
- Smailes, D., Alderson-Day, B., Fernyhough, C., McCarthy-Jones, S. & Dodgson, G. (2015). Tailoring cognitive behavioural therapy to subtypes of voice-hearing. Frontiers in Psychology: Psychopathology 6: 1933.
- Firth, L., Alderson-Day, B., Woods, N. & Fernyhough, C. (2015). Imaginary companions in childhood: Relations to imagination skills and autobiographical memory in adults. Creativity Research Journal 27(4): 308-313.
- Wilkinson, S. & Alderson-Day, B. (2016). Voices and Thoughts in Psychosis: An Introduction. Review of Philosophy and Psychology 7(3): 529-540.
- Hurlburt, R. T., Alderson-Day, B., Fernyhough, C. & Kühn, S. (2015). What goes on in the resting state? A qualitative glimpse into resting-state experience in the scanner. Frontiers in Psychology: Cognitive Science 6: 1535.
- Alderson-Day, B., Weis, S., McCarthy-Jones, S., Moseley, P., Smailes, D. & Fernyhough, C. (2016). The brain’s conversation with itself: neural substrates of dialogic inner speech. Social Cognitive & Affective Neuroscience 11(1): 110-120.
- Alderson-Day, B. & Fernyhough, C. (2015). Inner speech: Development, cognitive functions, phenomenology, and neurobiology. Psychological Bulletin 141(5): 931-965.
- Alderson-Day, B., McCarthy-Jones, S. & Fernyhough, C. (2015). Hearing voices in the resting brain: A review of intrinsic functional connectivity research on auditory verbal hallucinations. Neuroscience & Biobehavioral Reviews 55: 78-87.
- Alderson-Day, B. & Fernyhough, C. (2015). Relations among questionnaire and experience sampling measures of inner speech: a smartphone app study. Frontiers in Psychology 6: 517.
- Woods, A., Jones, N., Alderson-Day, B., Callard, F. & Fernyhough, C. (2015). Experiences of hearing voices: analysis of a novel phenomenological survey. The Lancet Psychiatry 2(4): 323-331.
- Kühn, S., Fernyhough, C., Alderson-Day, B. & Hurlburt, R. T. (2014). Inner experience in the scanner: Can high fidelity apprehensions of inner experience be integrated with fMRI? Frontiers in Psychology 5: 1393.
- Alderson-Day, B. (2014). Verbal Problem-Solving Difficulties in Autism Spectrum Disorders and Atypical Language Development. Autism Research 7(6): 720-730.
- Alderson-Day, B., McCarthy-Jones, S., Bedford, S., Collins, H., Dunne, H., Rooke, C. & Fernyhough, C. (2014). Shot through with voices: Dissociation mediates the relationship between varieties of inner speech and auditory hallucination proneness. Consciousness and Cognition 27: 288-296.
- Johns, L. C., Kompus, K., Connell, M., Humpston, C., Lincoln, T. M., Longden, E., Preti, A., Alderson-Day, B., Badcock, J. C., Cella, M., Fernyhough, C., McCarthy-Jones, S., Peters, E., Raballo, A., Scott, J., Siddi, S., Sommer, I. & Larøi, F. (2014). Auditory verbal hallucinations in persons with and without a need for care. Schizophrenia Bulletin 40(Suppl 4): S255-S264.
- Woods, A., Jones, N., Bernini, M., Callard, F., Alderson-Day, B., Badcock, J., Bell,V., Cook, C., Csordas, T., Humpston, C., Krueger, J., Larøi, F., McCarthy-Jones, S., Moseley, P., Powell, H., Raballo, A., Smailes, D. & Fernyhough, C. (2014). Interdisciplinary Approaches to the Phenomenology of Auditory Verbal Hallucinations. Schizophrenia Bulletin 40(Suppl 4): S246-S254.
- Alderson-Day, B. & Fernyhough, C. (2014). More than one voice: Investigating the phenomenological properties of inner speech requires a variety of methods. Commentary on Hurlburt, Heavey and Kelsey (2013), Toward a phenomenology of inner speaking. Consciousness and Cognition 24: 113-114.
- Wright, B, Alderson-Day, B, Prendergast, G, Kennedy, J, Bennett, S, Docherty, M, Whitton, C, Manea, L, Gouws, A, Tomlinson, H & Green, G (2013). Neural correlation of successful cognitive behaviour therapy for spider phobia: A magnetoencephalography study. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 214(3): 444-451.
- McGonigle-Chalmers, M, Alderson-Day, B, Fleming, J & Monsen, K (2013). Profound Expressive Language Impairment in Low Functioning Children with Autism: An Investigation of Syntactic Awareness Using a Computerised Learning Task. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 43(9): 2062-2081.
- Wright, B., Alderson-Day, B., Prendergast, G., Bennett, S., Jordan, J., Whitton, C., Gouws, A., Jones, N., Attur, R., Tomlinson, H. & Green, G. (2012). Gamma activation in young people with autism spectrum disorders and typically-developing controls when viewing emotions on faces. PLoS ONE 7(7): e41326.
- Wright, B., Pearce, H., Allgar, V., Miles, J., Whitton, C., Leon, I., Jardine, J., McCaffrey, N., Smith, R., Holbrook, I., Lewis, J., Goodall, D. & Alderson-Day, B. (2012). A comparison of urinary mercury between children with autism spectrum disorders and control children. PLoS ONE 7(2): e29547.
- Alderson-Day, B & McGonigle-Chalmers, M (2011). Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Category use in problem-solving in children with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 41(5): 555-565.
- Wright,B, Sims, D, Smart, S, Alwazeer, A Alderson-Day, B Allgar, V, Whitton, C, Tomlinson, H Bennett, S, Jardine, J, McCaffrey, N, Leyland, C, Jakeman, C & Miles, J (2011). Melatonin versus placebo in children with autism spectrum conditions and severe sleep problems not amenable to behaviour management strategies: A Randomised Controlled Crossover Trial. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 41(2): 175-184.
- Alderson-Day, B (2011). Verbal problem-solving in autism spectrum disorders: A problem of plan construction? Autism Research 4(6): 401-411.
- Pillay, M, Alderson-Day, B., Wright, B, Williams, C & Urwin, B (2011). Autism Spectrum Conditions – Enhancing Nurture and Development (ASCEND): An evaluation of intervention support groups for parents. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry 16(1): 5-20.
- McGonigle-Chalmers, M & Alderson-Day, B (2010). Free classification as a window on executive functioning in autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 40(7): 844-857.