Dr Brian Casey
FMDM Fellow in the History of Catholicism - Centre for Catholic Studies
BA, PhD, FRHistS
|FMDM Fellow in the History of Catholicism - Centre for Catholic Studies in the Department of Theology and Religion||No. 5 The College D002|
I am the FMDM Fellow in the History of Catholicism at the Centre for Catholic Studies. Prior to coming to Durham University, I worked for nearly five years as a historical researcher with the Mother and Baby Home Commission of Investigation in Ireland and previously as an occasional lecturer and tutor at University College Dublin, archivist with the Clonfert Diocese in county Galway, Ireland and the Research student in Irish history at the National Library of Ireland.
To date, my own research interests have focused upon the dynamics of agrarian radicalism, class relations in the rural countryside, the land question, local, religious and rural history in Britain and Ireland in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and I have published extensively on these themes.
As FMDM Fellow in the History of Catholicism, I will be researching and writing the history of the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood through the prism of the Franciscan tradition and global Catholicism. Taking an interdisciplinary approach, it will explore the Franciscan Missionaries of the Divine Motherhood and its nineteenth century antecedents through the various prisms of Catholic internationalism, social movements, philanthropy, medical and sacred spaces and how their evolution and change impacted upon individual and community lives while remaining faithful to its Franciscan missionary approach. It will also assess its history within the wider context of local, national and transnational expressions of Catholicism; particularly during periods of significant changes and challenges for the Roman Catholic Church.
- Casey, Brian (2018). Class and Community in Provincial Ireland, 1851–1914. London, Palgrave Macmillan.
Chapter in book
- Casey, Brian (2016). John Sweetman and the Irish land question, 1876–82. In Lords, land and labourers: the Big Houses and landed estates of Royal Meath. Casey, Brian The History Press. 171-186.
- Casey, Brian (2020). The impact of agrarian radicalism on land reform in Scotland and Ireland, 1879–1903. In Land reform in Scotland: History, law and policy. Coombe, Malcolm, Glass, Jayne & Tindey, Annie Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press. 56-73.
- Casey, Brian (2018). Aspects of life in Ireland, 1900–1918. In Ballinasloe and district remembers 1914-1918. KPW. 368-376.
- Casey, Brian (2018). The role of the Roman Catholic and Church of Ireland clergy in the distribution of relief during the 1822 Famine in County Roscommon. In Roscommon: History and Society. Farrell, Richie O’Conor, Kieran & Potter, Matthew Geography Publications. 26: 349-365.
- Casey, Brian (2015). Ada English and Cumman na mBan. In Galway and Cumman na mBan: County Galway dimensions. Galway County Council. 17-18.
- Casey, Brian (2015). Re-organised Ireland: After the Famine. In La grande famine en Irlande. Rynne, Frank & Pole, Adam Atlande. 81-92.
- Casey, Brian (2015). The Great Famine, 1845-7. In La grande famine en Irlande. Rynne, Frank & Pole, Adam Atlande. 69-80.
- Casey, Brian (2016). Lords, land and labourers: The Big Houses and landed estates of Royal Meath. Dublin, The History Press.
- Casey, Brian (2013). Defying the law of the land: Agrarian radicals in Irish History. The History Press.
- Casey, Brian (2019). Michael Davitt’s second tour of the Scottish Highlands, April 1887. History Scotland 38-45.
- Casey, Brian (2017). The political career of John Sweetman, 1885–1903. Riocht na Midhe: Journal of the Meath Archaeological and Historical Society 27: 269–83.
- Casey, Brian (2016). The decline and fall of the Clancarty estate, east Galway, 1891–1923. Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society 67: 171-83.
- Casey, Brian (2016). Constructing Political Consciousness in the West of Ireland, 1876–79: The Case of the Ballinasloe Tenant Defence Association. New Hibernia Review 20(1): 55-76.
- Casey, Brian (2014). Matt Harris and the Irish Land Question, 1876–1882. Rural History 25(2): 183-201.
- Casey, Brian (2013). The battle of Saunders’ Fort’. South East Galway Archaeological and Historical Society Newsletter Spring(2013).
- Casey, Brian (2013). Selected list of writings on Irish social and economic history published in 2012. 40(1): 98-113.
- Casey, Brian (2013). Matt Harris and the Ballinasloe Tenant Defence Association. 90-99.