Prof Charlotte Clarke
|Executive Dean in the Faculty of Social Sciences and Health|
|Professor in the Department of Sociology|
|Fellow of Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing|
- Health and Social Theory
Chapter in book
- Clarke, C.L. (2016). Aging and conflict outside and behind your front door: Comment on the Israeli case study from a British perspective. In Taylor and Francis. 217-220.
- Clarke, C.L. & Wilson, V. (2009). Learning-The Heart of Practice Development. In John Wiley and Sons. 105-125.
- Zhang, Xiubin, Clarke, Charlotte L. & Rhynas, Sarah J. (2020). Tensions in dementia care in China: An interpretative phenomenological study from Shandong province. International Journal of Older People Nursing 15(1): e12291.
- Casey, Dympna, Gallagher, Niamh, Devane, Declan, Woods, Bob, Murphy, Kathy, Smyth, Siobhán, Newell, John, Murphy, Andrew W., Clarke, Charlotte, Foley, Tony, Timmons, Fergus, Dröes, Rose-Marie, O’Halloran, Martin, Windle, Gill, Irving Lupton, Kate, Domegan, Christine, O’Shea, Eamon, Dolan, Pat & Doyle, Priscilla (2020). The feasibility of a Comprehensive Resilience-building psychosocial Intervention (CREST) for people with dementia in the community: protocol for a non-randomised feasibility study. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 6(1): 177.
- Lee, J.J., Carson, M.N., Clarke, C.L., Yang, S.C. & Nam, S.J. (2019). Nursing students’ learning dynamics with clinical information and communication technology: A constructive grounded theory approach. Nurse Education Today 73: 41-47.
- Keyes, S.E., Clarke, C.L. & Gibb, C.E. (2019). Living with dementia, interdependence and citizenship: narratives of everyday decision-making. Disability and Society 34(2): 296-319.
- Greene, K.S., Clarke, C.L., Pakes, F. & Holmes, L. (2019). People with dementia who go missing: A qualitative study of family caregivers decision to report incidents to the police. Policing (Oxford) 13(2): 241-253.
- Lee, J.J., Yeung, K.C.Y., Clarke, C.L. & Yoo, J. (2019). Nursing Students' Learning Dynamics and Perception of High-Fidelity Simulation-Based Learning. Clinical Simulation in Nursing 33: 7-16.
- Zhang, X., Clarke, C.L. & Rhynas, S.J. (2019). A thematic analysis of Chinese people with dementia and family caregivers’ experiences of home care in China. Dementia
- (2019). Inflammatory biomarkers in Alzheimer's disease plasma. Alzheimer's and Dementia 15(6): 776-787.
- Watson, J., Saunders, S., Muniz Terrera, G., Ritchie, C., Evans, A., Luz, S. & Clarke, C. (2019). What matters to people with memory problems, healthy volunteers and health and social care professionals in the context of developing treatment to prevent Alzheimer's dementia? A qualitative study. Health Expectations 22(3): 504-517.
- Clarke, C.L., Wilkinson, H., Watson, J., Wilcockson, J., Kinnaird, L. & Williamson, T. (2018). A Seat Around the Table: Participatory Data Analysis With People Living With Dementia. Qualitative Health Research 28(9): 1421-1433.
- Lee, J.J., Clarke, C.L., Carson, M.N. & Yang, S.C. (2018). How do Korean nursing students build knowledge? A constructivist grounded theory study. BMJ Open 8(7).
- Clarke, C.L., Wilcockson, J., Watson, J., Wilkinson, H., Keyes, S., Kinnaird, L. & Williamson, T. (2018). Relational care and co-operative endeavour – Reshaping dementia care through participatory secondary data analysis. Dementia
- Saunders, S., Muniz-Terrera, G., Watson, J., Clarke, C.L., Luz, S., Evans, A.R. & Ritchie, C.W. (2018). Participant outcomes and preferences in Alzheimer's disease clinical trials: The electronic Person-Specific Outcome Measure (ePSOM) development program. Alzheimer's and Dementia: Translational Research and Clinical Interventions 4: 694-702.
- Clarke, C.L., Keyes, S.E., Wilkinson, H., Alexjuk, E.J., Wilcockson, J., Robinson, L., Reynolds, J., McClelland, S., Hodgson, P., Corner, L. & Cattan, M. (2018). 'I just want to get on with my life': A mixed-methods study of active management of quality of life in living with dementia. Ageing and Society 38(2): 378-402.
- Clarke, C.L., Titterton, M., Wilcockson, J., Reed, J., Moyle, W., Klein, B., Marais, S. & Cook, G. (2018). Risk time framing for wellbeing in older people: a multi-national appreciative inquiry. Journal of Mental Health Training, Education and Practice 13(1): 44-53.
- Lee, J.J., Clarke, C.L. & Carson, M.N. (2018). Nursing students’ learning dynamics and influencing factors in clinical contexts. Nurse Education in Practice 29: 103-109.
- Clarke, C.L. & Bailey, C. (2016). Narrative citizenship, resilience and inclusion with dementia: On the inside or on the outside of physical and social places. Dementia 15(3): 434-452.
- Clarke, C. & Mantle, R. (2016). Using risk management to promote person-centred dementia care. Nursing standard (Royal College of Nursing (Great Britain) 1987) 30(28): 41-46.
- Keyes, S.E., Clarke, C.L., Wilkinson, H., Alexjuk, E.J., Wilcockson, J., Robinson, L., Reynolds, J., McClelland, S., Corner, L. & Cattan, M. (2016). “We’re all thrown in the same boat … ” A qualitative analysis of peer support in dementia care. Dementia 15(4): 560-577.
- Macaden, L. & Clarke, C. (2015). Model of diabetes management: Have we got it right for South Asian people in the UK? Journal of Diabetes Nursing 19(5): 183-189.
- Rickard, N.A.S. & Clarke, C.L. (2015). The involvement of older people in their rehabilitation: Generating a substantive grounded theory. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation 22(8): 361-369.
- Lee, J.J. & Clarke, C.L. (2015). Nursing students' attitudes towards information and communication technology: An exploratory and confirmatory factor analytic approach. Journal of Advanced Nursing 71(5): 1181-1193.
- Clarke, C.L., Keyes, S.E., Wilkinson, H., Alexjuk, J., Wilcockson, J., Robinson, L., Corner, L. & Cattan, M. (2014). Organisational space for partnership and sustainability: Lessons from the implementation of the National Dementia Strategy for England. Health and Social Care in the Community 22(6): 634-645.
- Visram, S., Clarke, C. & White, M. (2014). Making and maintaining lifestyle changes with the support of a lay health advisor: longitudinal qualitative study of health trainer services in northern England. PLoS One 9(5): e94749.
- Bailey, C., Clarke, C.L., Gibb, C., Haining, S., Wilkinson, H. & Tiplady, S. (2013). Risky and resilient life with dementia: review of and reflections on the literature. Health, Risk and Society 15(5): 390-401.
- Botsford, J., Clarke, C.L. & Gibb, C.E. (2012). Dementia and relationships: Experiences of partners in minority ethnic communities. Journal of Advanced Nursing 68(10): 2207-2217.
- Clarke, C.L., Wilcockson, J., Gibb, C.E., Keady, J., Wilkinson, H. & Luce, A. (2011). Reframing risk management in dementia care through collaborative learning. Health and Social Care in the Community 19(1): 23-32.
- Clarke, C.L. (2011). Editorial: Information and dementia: Complexity and the obvious. International Journal of Older People Nursing 6(3): 216-216.
- Botsford, J., Clarke, C.L. & Gibb, C.E. (2011). Research and dementia, caring and ethnicity: A review of the literature. Journal of Research in Nursing 16(5): 437-449.
- Clarke, C.L., Alexjuk, J. & Gibb, C.E. (2011). Information in dementia care: Sense making and a public health direction for the UK? International Journal of Older People Nursing 6(3): 237-243.
- Wolkowski, A., Carr, S.M. & Clarke, C.L. (2010). What does respite care mean for palliative care service users and carers? Messages from a conceptual mapping. International Journal of Palliative Nursing 16(8): 388-392.
- Carr, S.M. & Clarke, C.L. (2010). The manager's role in mobilizing and nurturing development: Entrenched and engaged approaches to change. Journal of Nursing Management 18(3): 332-338.
- Cook, G. & Clarke, C. (2010). A framework to support social interaction in care homes. Nursing older people 22(3): 16-21.
- Swallow, V., Clarke, C., Campbell, S. & Lambert, H. (2009). Nurses as family learning brokers: Shared management in childhood chronic kidney disease. Journal of Nursing and Healthcare of Chronic Illness 1(1): 49-59.
- Clarke, C.L. (2009). Risk and long-term conditions: The contradictions of self in society. Health, Risk and Society 11(4): 297-302.
- Keady, J., Clarke, C.L., Wilkinson, H., Gibb, C.E., Williams, L., Luce, A. & Cook, A. (2009). Alcohol-related brain damage: Narrative storylines and risk constructions. Health, Risk and Society 11(4): 321-340.
- Roberts, K. & Clarke, C. (2009). Future disorientation following gynaecological cancer: Women's conceptualisation of risk after a life threatening illness. Health, Risk and Society 11(4): 353-366.
- Clarke, C.L. (2008). Risk and long-term conditions: the global challenge. Journal of clinical nursing 17(5): 1-3.
- Swallow, V., Lambert, H., Clarke, C., Campbell, S. & Jacoby, A. (2008). Childhood chronic-kidney-disease: A longitudinal-qualitative study of families learning to share management early in the trajectory. Patient Education and Counseling 73(2): 354-362.
- Reed, J., Inglis, P., Cook, G., Clarke, C. & Cook, M. (2007). Specialist nurses for older people: Implications from UK development sites. Journal of Advanced Nursing 58(4): 368-376.
- Keady, J., Clarke, C.L. & Page, S. (2007). Community mental health nursing in dementia care. Journal of Dementia Care 15(4): 17-18.
- Cook, M., Cook, G., Hodgson, P., Reed, J., Clarke, C. & Inglis, P. (2007). The impact of research governance in the United Kingdom on research involving a national survey. Journal of Health, Organisation and Management 21(1): 59-67.
- Regnard, C., Reynolds, J., Watson, B., Matthews, D., Gibson, L. & Clarke, C. (2007). Understanding distress in people with severe communication difficulties: Developing and assessing the Disability Distress Assessment Tool (DisDAT). Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 51(4): 277-292.
- Swallow, V., Clarke, C., Iles, S. & Harden, J. (2006). Work based, lifelong learning through professional portfolios: Challenge or reward? Pharmacy Education 6(2): 77-89.
- Reed, J., Cook, M., Cook, G., Iinglis, P. & Clarke, C. (2006). Specialist services for older people: Issues of negative and positive ageism. Ageing and Society 26(6): 849-865.
- Carr, S.M., Clarke, C.L., Molyneux, J. & Jones, D. (2006). Facilitating participation: A health action zone experience. Primary Health Care Research and Development 7(2): 147-156.
- Clarke, C.L., Lhussier, M., Minto, C., Gibb, C.E. & Perini, T. (2005). Paradoxes, locations and the need for social coherence: A qualitative study of living with a learning difficulty. Disability and Society 20(4): 405-419.
- Watson, B., Clarke, C., Swallow, V. & Forster, S. (2005). Exploratory factor analysis of the research and development culture index among qualified nurses. Journal of Clinical Nursing 14(9): 1042-1047.
- Lhussier, M., Watson, B., Reed, J. & Clarke, C.L. (2005). The SEIQoL and functional status: How do they relate? Scandinavian Journal of Caring Sciences 19(4): 403-409.
- Clarke, C.L., Reed, J., Wainwright, D., Mcclelland, S., Swallow, V., Harden, J., Walton, G. & Walsh, A. (2004). The discipline of improvement: Something old, something new? Journal of Nursing Management 12(2): 85-96.
- Clarke, C.L., Wilkinson, H. & Keady, J. (2003). Risk in dementia care. Journal of Dementia Care 11(2): 36.
- Regnard, C., Mathews, D., Gibson, L. & Clarke, C. (2003). Difficulties in identifying distress and its causes in people with severe communication problems. International journal of palliative nursing 9(4): 173-176.
- Clarke, C.L. & Wilcockson, J. (2002). Seeing need and developing care: Exploring knowledge for and from practice. International Journal of Nursing Studies 39(4): 397-406.
- Clarke, C.L., Gibb, C., Hart, J. & Davidson, A. (2002). Infant massage: Developing an evidence base for health visiting practice. Clinical Effectiveness in Nursing 6(3-4): 121-128.
- Plews, C. & Clarke, C.L. (2002). Infant massage: Developing an evidence base for health visiting practice [Clinical effectiveness in nursing, 6 (3-4), 2000, 121-128]. Clinical Effectiveness in Nursing 6(3-4): 158-159.
- Reed, J., Cantley, C., Clarke, C.L. & Stanley, D. (2002). Services for Younger People with Dementia:Problems with differentiating needs on the basis of age. Dementia 1(1): 95-112.
- Gibb, C.E., Morrow, M., Clarke, C.L., Cook, G., Gertig, P. & Ramprogus, V. (2002). Transdisciplinary working: Evaluating the development of health and social care provision in mental health. Journal of Mental Health 11(3): 339-350.
- Balfour, M. & Clarke, C. (2001). Searching for sustainable change. Journal of Clinical Nursing 10(1): 44-50.
- Cook, G., Gerrish, K. & Clarke, C. (2001). Decision-making in teams: Issues arising from two UK evaluations. Journal of Interprofessional Care 15(2): 141-152.
- Maughan, K. & Clarke, C. (2001). The effect of a clinical nurse specialist in 'gynaecological oncology on quality of life and sexuality. Journal of Clinical Nursing 10(2): 221-229.
- Clarke, C.L. & Wilcockson, J. (2001). Professional and organizational learning: Analysing the relationship with the development of practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing 34(2): 264-272.
- Clarke, C. & Ramprogus, V. (2001). A new way to link research. Nursing times 97(19): 37-38.
- Sartain, S.A., Clarke, C.L. & Heyman, R. (2000). Hearing the voices of children with chronic illness. Journal of Advanced Nursing 32(4): 913-921.
- Clarke, C.L. (2000). Risk: Constructing care and care environments in dementia. Health, Risk and Society 2(1): 91-93.
- Clarke, C. & Procter, S. (1999). Practice development: Ambiguity in research and practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing 30(4): 975-982.
- Reed, J. & Clarke, C.L. (1999). Nursing older people: Constructing need and care. Nursing Inquiry 6(3): 208-215.
- Clarke, C.L. (1999). Family care-giving for people with dementia: Some implications for policy and professional practice. Journal of Advanced Nursing 29(3): 712-720.
- Clarke, C.L., Heyman, R., Pearson, P. & Watson, D.W. (1993). Formal carers: attitudes to working with the dementing elderly and their informal carers. Health & Social Care in the Community 1(4): 227-238.
- (1992). Queen Elizabeth Behavioural Assessment Graphical System. The Australian journal of advanced nursing a quarterly publication of the Royal Australian Nursing Federation 9(3): 4-11.
- Clarke, C. & Watson, D. (1991). Informal carers of the dementing elderly: a study of relationships. Nursing practice (Edinburgh, Scotland) 4(4): 17-22.