|Professor in the Department of Engineering||E381 (Christopherson)||+44 (0) 191 33 42495|
|Director of Centre for Molecular and Nanoscale Electronics in the Centre for Molecular and Nanoscale Electronics|
|Fellow in the Durham Energy Institute|
Dr Groves' research centres on the exploitation of new materials for energy generation and unconventional computing. This involves the development of simulation models to link the stucture of organic materials to the performance of devices, new experimental techniques such as 1/f noise spectroscopy, and engineering better performance via additive manufacture. He has published more than 40 papers, book chapters, and review articles that have been cited more than 2000 times. He is Institution Director for the North East Centre for Energy Materials and the EPSRC Centre for Renewable Energy Northeast Universities (ReNU), as well as an Editor for the Springer Nature Journal, Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics.
- Unconventional computing
- Modelling of electronic transport in conducting polymers
- Organic Electronic devices
- Future Energy Systems
- Next Generation Materials and Microsystems
- 2020: Durham University's EPSRC Core Equipment Award 2020(£138973.00 from Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council)
- 2020: NPIF EPSRC CDT 2018 equipment funding Durham University(£6474.60 from Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council)
- 2018: Rutherford Strategic Partner Grant(£9250.00 from )
- 2017: NECEM(£62266.64 from Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council)
- 2012: Fixing the odds: Measuring electrical randomness to improve mobility in organic materials(£99787.54 from Epsrc)
- 2012: Predicting the odds: Using electrical noise to measure and predict failure modes in organic electrical devices(£1000.00 from Epsrc)
- 2012: Predicting the odds: Using electrical noise to measure and predict failure modes in organic electrol devices(£10764.00 from Epsrc)
- 2010: Mapping nano-scale charge transport in materials for low-cost photovoltaics(£2195.00 from )
- 2018: Appointed Editor of Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Electronics:
- 2017: Work highlighted in IEEE Spectrum:
- 2016: Invited review in Reports in Progress in Physics:
- 2014: Article chosen as Hot Article by PCCP:
- 2014: Article chosen to be on the cover of a special issue of PCCP:
- 2014: Invited seminar at TU Graz:
- 2014: Invited talk at CECAM:
- 2014: Seminar at Technical University of Eindhoven:
- 2013: Article selected for Editor's choice: The advisory board of Energy & Environmental Science has selected our recent paper on charge separation in cascaded energy heterojunctions as Editor's choice.
- 2013: Invited talk at Optical Probes:
- 2013: Seminar at Sheffield University:
- 2012: Invited article in Energy & Environmental Science:
- 2012: Invited short talk at ICSM, Atlanta GA:
- 2012: Invited talk at 6th winterschool on Organic Electronics (HYMEC): Dr Groves has been invited to give a presentation on the modelling of nanoscale organic devices
- 2012: Invited talk at the International conference on the simulation of organic electronics and photovoltaics: Dr Groves has been invited to give a presentation in Valencia on the modelling of nanoscale organic devices
- 2011: Invited talk and session chair at international JUDO-PV conference: Dr Groves has been invited to give a talk at Oxford University on the effects of surface wetting layers on organic photovoltaic device performance.
- 2011: Seminar at Cambridge University :
Chapter in book
- Vissol-Gaudin, E, Kotsialos, A, Massey, MK, Zeze, DA, Pearson, C, Groves, C & Petty MC (2016). Unconventional Computation and Natural Computation. In
- Groves, C (2014). Modeling OPV Performance - Morphology, Transport and Recombination. In Organic Solar Cells - Fundamentals, Devices and Upsacling. Rand, BP & Richter, H Pan Stanford.
- Groves, C & Greenham, NC (2014). Chapter 467 Monte Carlo Simulations of Organic Photovoltaics. In Computational Photovoltaics. Beljonne, D & Cornil, J Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
- Vissol-Gaudin, E., Kotsialos, A., Groves, C., Pearson, C., Zeze, D.A., Petty, M.C. & Al-moubayed, N. (2018), Confidence Measures for Carbon-Nanotube / Liquid Crystals Classifiers, 2018 IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence (WCCI 2018). Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, IEEE, Piscataway, 646-653.
- Vissol-Gaudin, E., Kotsialos, A., Massey, M. K., Zeze, D. A., Pearson, C., Groves, C. & Petty, M. C. (2016), Training a Carbon-Nanotube/Liquid Crystal Data Classifier Using Evolutionary Algorithms, in Amos, M. & Condon, A. eds, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 9726 15th International Conference on Unconventional Computation and Natural Computation. Manchester, UK, Springer, Cham, Switzerland, 130-141.
- Nieto-Díaz, Balder A. Pearson, Christopher, Al-Busaidi, Zakiya, Bowen, Leon, Petty, Michael C. & Groves, Christopher (2021). Enhanced lifetime of Organic Photovoltaic diodes achieved by blending with PMMA: Impact of morphology and Donor:Acceptor combination. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 219: 110765.
- Nieto-Díaz, Balder A., Crossland, Andrew F. & Groves, Christopher (2021). A levelized cost of energy approach to select and optimise emerging PV technologies: The relative impact of degradation, cost and initial efficiency. Applied Energy 299: 117302.
- Vissol-Gaudin, Eléonore, Pearson, Chris, Groves, Chris, Zeze, Dagou A., Cantiello, Horacio F., Cantero, María del Rocio & Petty, Michael C. (2021). Electrical behaviour and evolutionary computation in thin films of bovine brain microtubules. Scientific Reports 11: 10776.
- Crossland, A., Scoles, K., Wang, A., Groves, C. & Sun, S. (2020). Assessment of Electricity Decarbonization Scenarios for New Zealand and Great Britain using a Plant Dispatch and Electrical Energy Storage Modelling Framework. Energies 13(11): 2799.
- Nam, Sungho, Chaudhry, Mujeeb Ullah, Tetzner, Kornelius, Pearson, Christopher, Groves, Chris, Petty, Michael C., Anthopoulos, Thomas D. & Bradley, Donal D.C. (2019). Efficient and Stable Solution-Processed Organic Light Emitting Transistors using a High-k Dielectric. ACS Photonics 6(12): 3159-3165.
- Chaudhry, Mujeeb Ullah, Tetzner, Kornelius, Lin, Yen-Hung, Nam, Sungho, Pearson, Christopher, Groves, Chris, Petty, Michael C., Anthopoulos, Thomas D. & Bradley, Donal D. C. (2018). Low-Voltage Solution-Processed Hybrid Light-Emitting Transistors. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 10(22): 18445-18449.
- AL-Busaidi, Z., Pearson, C., Groves, C. & Petty, M.C. (2017). Enhanced Lifetime of organic photovoltaic diodes utilizing a ternary blend including an insulating polymer. Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 160: 101-106.
- Groves, C (2017). Simulating charge transport in organic semiconductors and devices: a review. Reports on Progress in Physics 80(2): 026502.
- Massey, M.K., Kotsialos, A., Volpati, D., Vissol-Gaudin, E., Pearson, C., Bowen, L., Obara, B., Zeze, D.A., Groves, C. & Petty, M.C. (2016). Evolution of Electronic Circuits using Carbon Nanotube Composites. Scientific Reports 6: 32197
- Jones, M.L., Huang, D.M., Chakrabarti, B. & Groves, C. (2016). Relating Molecular Morphology to Charge Mobility in Semicrystalline Conjugated Polymers. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 120(8): 4240-4250.
- Kaku, K., Williams, A.T., Mendis, B.G. & Groves, C. (2015). Examining Charge Transport Networks in Organic Bulk Heterojunction Photovoltaic Diodes using 1/f Noise Spectroscopy. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 3(23): 6077-6085.
- Williams, A.T., Farrar, P., Gallant, A.J., Atkinson, D. & Groves, C. (2014). Characterisation of Charge Conduction Networks in Poly(3-hexylthiophene)/Polystyrene Blends using Noise Spectroscopy. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 2(9): 1742-1748.
- Jones, M.L., Dyer, R., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2014). Are hot charge transfer states the primary cause of efficient free-charge generation in polymer:fullerene organic photovoltaic devices? A kinetic Monte Carlo study. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 16(38): 20310-20320.
- Jones, L.M., Chakrabarti, B. & Groves, C. (2014). Monte Carlo Simulation of Geminate Pair Recombination Dynamics in Organic Photovoltaic Devices: Multi-Exponential, Field-Dependent Kinetics and Its Interpretation. Journal of Physical Chemistry C 118(1): 85-91.
- Groves, C. (2013). Organic light-emitting diodes: bright design. Nature Materials 12: 597-598.
- Mendis, Budhika G. Bishop, Sarah J. Groves, Chris Szablewski, Marek Berlie, Adam & Halliday, Douglas P. (2013). Plasmon-loss imaging of polymer-methanofullerene bulk heterojunction solar cells. Applied Physics Letters 102(25): 253301.
- Groves, C. (2013). Developing understanding of organic photovoltaic devices: kinetic Monte Carlo models of geminate and non-geminate recombination, charge transport and charge extraction. Energy & Environmental Science 6(11): 3202-3217.
- Groves, C. (2013). Suppression of geminate charge recombination in organic photovoltaic devices with a cascaded energy heterojunction. Energy and Environmental Science 6(5): 1546-1551.
- Luria, J.L., Hoepker, N., Bruce, R., Jacobs, A.R., Groves, C. & Marohn, J.A. (2012). Spectroscopic Imaging of Photopotentials and Potential Fluctuations in a Bulk Heterojunction Solar Cell Film. ACS Nano 6(11): 9392-9401.
- Lyons, B. P., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2012). The relative importance of domain size, domain purity and domain interfaces to the performance of bulk-heterojunction organic photovoltaics. Energy & Environmental Science 5(6): 7657-7663.
- Lyons, B.P., Clarke, N. & Groves, C. (2011). The Quantitative Effect of Surface Wetting Layers on the Performance of Organic Bulk Heterojunction Photovoltaic Devices. The Journal of Physical Chemistry C 115(45): 22572–22577.
- Yan, H., Swaraj, S., Wang, C., Hwang, I., Greenham, N.C., Groves, C., Ade, H. & McNeill, C.R. (2010). Influence of annealing and interfacial roughness on the performance of bilayer donor/acceptor polymer photovoltaic devices. Advanced functional materials 20(24): 4329-4337.
- Groves C., Blakelsey J.C. & Greenham N.C. (2010). The effect of charge trapping on geminate recombination and polymer solar cell performance. Nano Letters 10(3): 1063-1069.
- Giridharagopal, R., Shao, G., Groves, C. & Ginger, D.S. (2010). New SPM techniques for analyzing OPV materials. Materials Today 13(9): 50-56.
- Groves, C., Kimber, R.G.E. & Walker, A.B. (2010). Simulation of loss mechanisms in organic solar cells: A description of the mesoscopic Monte Carlo technique and an evaluation of the first reaction method. Journal of Chemical Physics 133(14): 144110.
- Groves, C., Reid, O.G. & Ginger, D.S. (2010). Heterogeneity in Polymer Solar Cells: Local Morphology and Performance in Organic Photovoltaics Studied with Scanning Probe Microscopy. Accounts of Chemical Research 43(5): 612-620.
- Groves, C, Koster, LJA & Greenham, NC (2009). The effect of morphology upon mobility: Implications for bulk heterojunction solar cells with nonuniform blend morphology. Journal Of Applied Physics 105(9): 094510
- Groves, C., Marsh, R.A. & Greenham, N.C. (2008). Monte Carlo modeling of geminate recombination in polymer-polymer photovoltaic devices. Journal Of Chemical Physics 129(11): 114903.
- Groves, C & Greenham, NC (2008). Bimolecular recombination in polymer electronic devices. Physical Review B 78(15): 155205.
- Zaumseil, J., Groves, C., Winfield, J.M., Greenham, N.C. & Sirringhaus, H. (2008). Electron-Hole Recombination in Uniaxially Aligned Semiconducting Polymers. Advanced Functional Materials 18(22): 3630-3637.
- Petrozza, A, Groves, C & Snaith, HJ (2008). Electron transport and recombination in dye-sensitized mesoporous TiO2 probed by photoinduced charge-conductivity modulation spectroscopy with Monte Carlo modeling. Journal Of The American Chemical Society 130(39): 12912-12920.
- Groves, C & David, JPR (2007). Effects of ionization velocity and dead space on avalanche photodiode bit error rate. Ieee Transactions On Communications 55(11): 2152-2158.
- McNeill, CR, Westenhoff, S, Groves, C, Friend, RH & Greenham, NC (2007). Influence of nanoscale phase separation on the charge generation dynamics and photovoltaic performance of conjugated polymer blends: Balancing charge generation and separation. Journal Of Physical Chemistry C 111(51): 19153-19160.
- Marsh, R.A., Groves, C. & Greenham, N.C. (2007). A microscopic model for the behavior of nanostructured organic photovoltaic devices. Journal Of Applied Physics 101(8): 083509, 083509.
- Aivaliotis, P, Vukmirovic, N, Zibik, EA, Cockburn, JW, Indjin, D, Harrison, P, Groves, C, David, JPR, Hopkinson, M & Wilson, LR (2007). Stark shift of the spectral response in quantum dots-in-a-well infrared photodetectors. Journal Of Physics D-applied Physics 40(18): 5537-5540.
- Groves, C, Tan, CH, David, JPR, Rees, GJ & Hayat, MM (2005). Exponential time response in analogue and Geiger mode avalanche photodiodes. Ieee Transactions On Electron Devices 52(7): 1527-1534.
- Groves, C, Chia, CK, Tozer, RC, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2005). Avalanche noise characteristics of single AlxGa1-xAs(0.3 < x < 0.6)-GaAs heterojunction APDs. Ieee Journal Of Quantum Electronics 41(1): 70-75.
- Groves, C, Harrison, CN, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2004). Temperature dependence of breakdown voltage in AlxGa1-xAs. Journal Of Applied Physics 96(9): 5017-5019.
- Groves, C, David, JPR, Rees, GJ & Ong, DS (2004). Modeling of avalanche multiplication and noise in heterojunction avalanche photodiodes. Journal Of Applied Physics 95(11): 6245-6251.
- Groves, C, Ghin, R, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2003). Temperature dependence of impact ionization in GaAs. Ieee Transactions On Electron Devices 50(10): 2027-2031.
- Groves, C, David, JPR & Rees, GJ (2003). The effect of ionization threshold softness on the temperature dependence of the impact ionization coefficient. Semiconductor Science And Technology 18(7): 689-692.