Dr Chris Allen
|Research Associate in the Department of Psychology|
My primary research interest is the coupling between conscious experience and brain activity (neurophenomenology). The techniques I use include Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Magnetoencephalography, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, Psychophysics, and Micro-Pheomenology. I’m currently working on projects involving the integration of sensory information, the link between temporality and brain oscillations and the development of open-science practices.
- Hadden, L.M., Penny, H., Jones, A.L., Partridge, A.M., Lancaster, T.M. & Allen, C. (2023). Pre-frontal stimulation does not reliably increase reward responsiveness. Cortex 159: 268-285.
- Heimann, Katrin, Boelsbjerg, Hanne Bess, Allen, Chris, van Beek, Martijn, Suhr, Christian, Lübbert, Annika & Petitmengin, Claire (2023). The lived experience of remembering a ‘good’ interview: Micro-phenomenology applied to itself. Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences 22(1): 217.
- Waldron, Sophie & Allen, Christopher (2022). Not all pre-registrations are equal. Neuropsychopharmacology 47(13): 2181–2183
- Bielczyk, Natalia Z., Ando, Ayaka, Badhwar, AmanPreet, Caldinelli, Chiara, Gao, Mengxia, Haugg, Amelie, Hernandez, Leanna M., Ito, Kaori L., Kessler, Dan, Lurie, Dan, Makary, Meena M., Nikolaidis, Aki, Veldsman, Michele, Allen, Christopher, Bankston, Adriana, Bottenhorn, Katherine L., Braukmann, Ricarda, Calhoun, Vince, Cheplygina, Veronika, Boffino, Catarina Costa, Ercan, Ece, Finc, Karolina, Foo, Heidi, Khatibi, Ali, La, Christian, Mehler, David M.A., Narayanan, Sridar, Poldrack, Russell A., Raamana, Pradeep Reddy, Salo, Taylor, Godard-Sebillotte, Claire, Uddin, Lucina Q., Valeriani, Davide, Valk, Sofie L., Walton, Courtney C., Ward, Phillip G.D., Yanes, Julio A. & Zhou, Xinqi (2020). Effective Self-Management for Early Career Researchers in the Natural and Life Sciences. Neuron 106(2): 212.
- Maizey, Leah, Evans, C. John, Muhlert, Nils, Verbruggen, Frederick, Chambers, Christopher D. & Allen, Christopher P.G. (2020). Cortical and subcortical functional specificity associated with response inhibition. NeuroImage 220: 117110.
- Allen, Christopher, Viola, Tommaso, Irvine, Elizabeth, Sedgmond, Jemma, Castle, Heidi, Gray, Richard & Chambers, Christopher D (2020). Causal manipulation of feed-forward and recurrent processing differentially affects measures of consciousness. Neuroscience of Consciousness 2020(1).
- Allen, Christopher (2019). The relationship between the temporal structure of magnetoencephalography recorded brain activity and capacity to form discrete auditory representations. European Journal of Neuroscience 49(12): 1564.
- Allen, Christopher & Mehler, David M. A. (2019). Open science challenges, benefits and tips in early career and beyond. PLOS Biology 17(5): e3000246.
- Allen, Christopher, Singh, Krish D., Verbruggen, Frederick & Chambers, Christopher D. (2018). Evidence for parallel activation of the pre-supplementary motor area and inferior frontal cortex during response inhibition: a combined MEG and TMS study. Royal Society Open Science 5(2): 171369.
- Humby, Trevor, Fisher, Amelia, Allen, Christopher, Reynolds, Meghann, Hartman, Annette, Giegling, Ina, Rujescu, Dan & Davies, William (2017). A genetic variant withinSTSpreviously associated with inattention in boys with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder is associated with enhanced cognition in healthy adult males. Brain and Behavior 7(3): e00646.
- Campbell, Anne Eileen, Chambers, Christopher D., Allen, Christopher P.G., Hedge, Craig & Sumner, Petroc (2017). Impairment of manual but not saccadic response inhibition following acute alcohol intoxication. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 181: 242.
- Allen, Christopher P. G., Dunkley, Benjamin T., Muthukumaraswamy, Suresh D., Edden, Richard, Evans, C. John, Sumner, Petroc, Singh, Krish D. & Chambers, Christopher D. (2014). Enhanced Awareness Followed Reversible Inhibition of Human Visual Cortex: A Combined TMS, MRS and MEG Study. PLoS ONE 9(6): e100350.
- Allen, Christopher P. G., Sumner, Petroc & Chambers, Christopher D. (2014). The Timing and Neuroanatomy of Conscious Vision as Revealed by TMS-induced Blindsight. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 26(7): 1507.
- Maizey, Leah, Allen, Christopher P.G., Dervinis, Martynas, Verbruggen, Frederick, Varnava, Alice, Kozlov, Michail, Adams, Rachel C., Stokes, Mark, Klemen, Jane, Bungert, Andreas, Hounsell, Charles A. & Chambers, Christopher D. (2013). Comparative incidence rates of mild adverse effects to transcranial magnetic stimulation. Clinical Neurophysiology 124(3): 536.
- Chambers, Christopher D., Allen, Christopher P.G., Maizey, Leah & Williams, Mark A. (2013). Is delayed foveal feedback critical for extra-foveal perception? Cortex 49(1): 327.