|Assistant Professor (Teaching) in the Department of Earth Sciences||Rm 310||+44 (0) 191 33 42605|
I am actively working on the interactions and feedbacks between tectonics, climate and the geomorphology that they create. My particular study areas are orogenic plateaux (specifically the Turkish-Iranian and Tibetan plateaux) as they allow study of systems (mostly fluvial) that cross the boundary between two differring tectonic and climatic settings.
- Fluvial geomorphology
- Tectonic geomorphology
- Sedimentary petrography
- Palaeoclimate Research Group
- Sedimentology Research Group
- Groves, Katharine, Saville, Christopher, Hurst, Martin D., Jones, Stuart J., Song, Shuguang & Allen, Mark B. (2020). Geomorphic expressions of collisional tectonics in the Qilian Shan, north eastern Tibetan Plateau. Tectonophysics 788: 228503.
- Allen, M.B., Saville, C., Blanc, E.J-P., Talebian, M. & Nissen, E. (2013). Orogenic plateau growth: expansion of the Turkish-Iranian Plateau across the Zagros fold-and-thrust belt. Tectonics 32(2): 171–190.
- Allen, M.B., Mark, D.F., Kheirkhah, M., Barfod, D., Emami, M.H. & Saville, C. (2011). 40Ar/39Ar dating of Quaternary lavas in northwest Iran: constraints on the landscape evolution and incision rates of the Turkish-Iranian plateau. Geophysical Journal International 185(3): 1173-1185.