|Professor of Department of Geography||325||+44 (0) 191 33 41959|
|Professor of Politics-State-Space||325||+44 (0) 191 33 41959|
|Professor of Urban Worlds||325||+44 (0) 191 33 41959|
My work focusses on the experience and politics of the city. I explore how cities are known, lived and politicised. This includes research on urban living, densities, fragments, and learning across different cities, focussing in particular on the economic margins. My current work seeks to understand:
1: The production, experience and perception of density in cities (https://www.dur.ac.uk/dencity/). This research examines how high urban densities are shaped and lived in different domains, including density and crowds in public space, on the move, and in the neighbourhood and home. This work is supported by a European Research Council Consolidator grant;
2: The making and remaking of urban worlds. I am interested in how urban 'fragments' of different kinds - material bits-and-pieces, forms of knowledge, and styles of expression - become caught up in the experience and politics of being urban. This work closely connects with my interest in densities and is brought together in Fragments of the City: Making and Remaking Urban Worlds (University of California Press, 2021);
3: The relations between sanitation and the city. Much of my work focusses on the growing urban sanitation crisis, including how it unfolds at different intersections of place, density and inequality, and how to respond to it. This work also connects to my research on urban poverty and equality, for example through an ESRC-GCRF project on equality in which I am one of several co-investigators (https://www.urban-know.com).
I am author of 'Learning the City: Knowledge and Translocal Assemblage' (Blackwell), a book focussed on the intersections between urban inequality, politics, and learning, as well as related edited collections, including: 'Global Urbanism: Knowledge, Power and the City' (Routledge, with Michele Lancione), 'Smart Urbanism: Utopian Vision or False Dawn?' (Routledge, with Simon Marvin and Andres Luque-Ayala), 'Infrastructural Lives: Urban Infrastructure in Context' (Earthscan-Routledge, with Steve Graham), 'Urban Navigations: Politics, Space and the City in South Asia' (Routledge, with Jonathan Anjaria), and 'Urban Informalities: Reflections on the Formal and Informal' (Ashgate, with Michael Waibel).
My work has been previously supported by a Leverhulme Prize, an ESRC project on urban sanitation (https://www.dur.ac.uk/geography/everyday_sanitation/, with Stephen Graham and Renu Desai), and an ESRC project on urban social innovation (http://community.dur.ac.uk/pursi/, with Joe Painter, Paul Langley, Sue Lewis, and Antonis Vradis).
- Everyday Sanitation: A comparative study of Mumbai's informal settlements
- 2015: IAA - TESTING THE POTENTIAL OF SELF-BUILDING(£6319.05 from ESRC)
- 2014: Philip Leverhulme Prize(£70000.00 from The Leverhulme Trust)
- 2011: Assembling Smart Cities(£4700.00 from One NorthEast)
- 2009: EVERYDAY SANITATION(£175375.21 from ESRC)
- 2008: EVERYDAY INFRASTRUCTURE(£3816.00 from British Council Manchester)
Available for media contact about:
- Citizenship, state and governance: Cities; urban development; urban politics; urban India.
- McFarlane, C. (2021). Fragments of the City: Making and Remaking Urban Worlds. University of California Press.
- McFarlane, C. (2011). Learning the city: knowledge and translocal assemblage. Oxford: Wiley Blackwell.
- McFarlane, C., Desai, R. & Graham, S. (2011). Everyday Sanitation: Informal Settlements in Mumbai. Durham University/AlphaGraphics.
- McFarlane, C. (2011). Book review forum: David Harvey, Cosmopolitanism and the Geographies of Freedom. New York: Columbia University Press, 2009; 352 pp.: 9780231148467, US$27.50/£19 (hbk). Dialogues in Human Geography 1(1): 107-110.
- Jeffrey, A., McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. (2007). Spectacle, State, Modernity: A Commentary on Retort's “Afflicted Powers”. Geopolitics 12(1): 206-222.
Chapter in book
- McFarlane, C. (2021). Future Densities: Knowledge, Politics and Remaking the City. In Grammars of the Urban Ground. Amin, A. & Lancione, M. Duke University Press.
- McFarlane, C (2019). Fragments. In Keywords in Radical Geographical Thought: Antipode at 50. Jazeel, T. Kent, A., McKittirck, K. & Theodroe, N. Wiley.
- McFarlane, C. (2019). Learning from the City: a Politics of Urban Learning in Planning. In Companion to Planning in the Global South. Watson, V., Bhan, G. & Srinivas, S. Routledge.
- McFarlane, C. (2019). Assembling the everyday: incremental urbanism and tactical learning. In SAGE Handbook of the 21st Century City. Burdett, R. & Hall, S. Sage.
- McFarlane, C. (2019). Urban fragments: a subaltern studies imagination. In Subaltern Geographies. Jazeel, T. & Legg, S. Athens, GA: Georgia University Press. 210-230.
- McFarlane, C. & Desai, R. (2019). The Urban Metabolic Commons: Rights, Civil Society, and Subaltern Struggle’. In Releasing the Commons: Rethinking the Futures of the Commons. Amin, A. & Howell, P. Routledge. 158-173.
- McFarlane, C. (2016). Encountering was it (not) there. In Encountering the City. Urban Encounters from Accra to New York. Darling, J. & Wilson, H. Ashgate. 229-232.
- Lancione, M. & McFarlane, C. (2016). Becoming Infrastructure: Body, Waste and the City. In Urban Cosmopolitics: Agencements, Assemblies, Atmospheres. Blok, A. & Farias, I. Routledge. 45-62.
- Graham, S., Desai, R. & McFarlane, C. (2015). De-Networking the Poor: Revanchist Urbanism and Hydrological Apartheid in Mumbai. In Beyond the Networked City: Infrastructure Reconfigurations and Urban Change in the North and South. Couthard, O. & Rutherford, J. Routledge.
- McFarlane, C. (2015). Learning cities. In Urban Theory: New Critical Perspectives. Jayne, M. & Ward, K. Routledge.
- McFarlane, C. (2014). Studies in Comparative Urbanism. In Companion to Development Studies. Desai, V. & Potter, R. Hodder Education. 296-298.
- Luque, A., McFarlane, C. & Marvin, S. (2014). Smart urbanism: cities, grids and alternatives? In After Sustainable Cities?. Hodson, M. & Marvin, S. Routeldge. 74-90.
- McFarlane, C., Desai, R. & Graham, S. (2014). Politics of sanitation: Informality and the constitution of urban metabolic life in Mumbai. In Inclusive Urbanization: Rethinking Policy and Practice in the Age of Climate Change. Shrestha, K., Ojha, H.R., McManus, P. Rubbo, A. & Dhote, K.K. Guilford Press.
- McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. (2014). Informal Infrastructures. In Handbook of Mobilities. Adey, P., Bissell, D., Hannam, K., Merriman, P. & Sheller, M. Routledge. 256-264.
- Anjaria, J.S. & McFarlane, C. (2011). Conceptualising the City in South Asia. In Urban Navigations: Politics, Space and the City in South Asia. Anjaria, J.S. & McFarlane, C. New Delhi and London: Routledge. 1-22.
- McFarlane, C. (2011). Sanitation in Mumbai's Informal Settlements: Governance, Infrastructure, and Cost Recovery. In Migration and Integration: Reflections on Our Common Future. Bade, K.J, Lorentz, B. & Pries, L. Europaische Verlagsanstalt, Leipzig. 123-136.
- McFarlane, C. (2010). Entries for 'Mumbai' and 'Squatter Movements'. In Encyclopedia of Urban Studies. Hutchison, R., Aalbers, M., Beauregard, R. & Crang, M. London: Sage.
- McFarlane, C. (2010). Everyday interruptions: urban life in the global South. In Disrupted Cities: When Infrastructure Fails. Graham, S.D.N. New York: Routledge.
- Lancione, M. & McFarlane, C. (2021). Global Urbanism: Knowledge, Power and the City. Routledge.
- Marvin, S., Luque-Ayala, A. & McFarlane, C. (2016). Smart Urbanism: Utopian Vision or False Dawn?. Routledge.
- Graham, S. & McFarlane, C. (2015). Infrastructural Lives: Politics, Experience and the Urban Fabric. Earthscan-Routledge.
- McFarlane, C. & Waibel, M. (2012). Urban Informalities: Reflections on the Formal and Informal. Ashgate.
- Anjaria, J.S. & McFarlane, C. (2010). Urban Navigations: Politics, Space and the City in South Asia. Cities and the Urban Imperative Series. London and New Delhi: Routledge.
- Chen, H.Y., Chowdhury, R., McFarlane, C. & Tripathy, P. (2020). Rethinking Urban Density. Urban Geography, 41 (10): Taylor and Francis.
- McFarlane, C. & Robinson, J. (2012). Experiments in Comparative Urbanism. Urban Geography, 33 (6, 765-773).
- Anderson, B. & McFarlane, C. (2011). Introduction and Conclusion to Special Issue on 'Assemblage and Geography'. Area, 43 (2).
- Jeffrey, A., McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. (2008). Introduction: A Symposium on Global Shadows. Singapore Journal of Tropical Geography, 29, 251-253
- McFarlane, C. & Rutherford, J. (2008). Political Infrastructures: Governing and Experiencing the Fabric of the City. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research, 32 (2, 363-74).
- Legg, S. & McFarlane, C. (2008). Ordinary urban spaces: between postcolonialism and development. Environment and Planning A, 40 (1, 6-14).
- Jeffrey, C. & McFarlane, C. (2008). Performing Cosmopolitanism: Introduction to the Special Issue. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space, 26 (3, 420-427).
- McFarlane, Colin (2021). Repopulating density: Covid-19 and the politics of urban value. Urban Studies
- Chowdhury, Romit & McFarlane, Colin (2021). The Crowd and Citylife: Materiality, Negotiation, and Inclusivity at Tokyo’s Train Stations. Urban Studies
- Yap, C. & McFarlane, C. (2020). Understanding and Researching Urban Extreme Poverty: A Conceptual-Methodological Approach. Environment and Urbanization 32(1): 254-274.
- McFarlane, C. (2020). De/re-densification: a relational geography of urban density. City 24(1-2): 314-324.
- Langley, P. Lewis, S. McFarlane, C. Painter, J. & Vradis, A. (2020). Crowdfunding cities: Social entrepreneurship, speculation and solidarity in Berlin. Geoforum 115: 11-20.
- McFarlane, C. (2020). The force of density: political crowding and the city. Urban Geography 41(10): 1310-1317.
- Heslop, J., McFarlane, C. & Ormerod, E. (2020). Relational Housing Across the North-South Divide: Learning Between Albania, Uganda, and the UK. Housing Studies 35(9): 1607-1627.
- Chen, Hung-Ying, Chowdhury, Romit, McFarlane, Colin & Tripathy, Priyam (2020). Introduction: rethinking urban density. Urban Geography 41(10): 1241-1246.
- McFarlane, C. (2019). The Urbanization of the Sanitation Crisis: Placing Waste in the City. Development and Change 50(5): 239-1262.
- Bulkeley, H., Luque-Ayala, A., McFarlane, C. & MacLeod, G. (2018). Enhancing urban autonomy: towards a new political project for cities. Urban Studies 55(4): 702-719.
- McFarlane, C. (2018). Fragment Urbanism: Politics on the Margins of the City. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 36(6): 1007-1025.
- McFarlane, C., Silver, J. & Truelove, Y. (2017). Cities within Cities: Intra-Urban Comparison of Infrastructure in Mumbai, Delhi and Cape Town. Urban Geography 38(9): 1393-1417.
- McFarlane, C. & Silver, J. (2017). The Poolitical City: “Seeing Sanitation” and Making the Urban Political in Cape Town. Antipode 49(1): 125-148.
- McFarlane, C. & Söderström, O. (2017). On alternative smart cities: from a technology-intensive to a knowledge-intensive smart urbanism. City 21(3-4): 312-328.
- McFarlane, C. & Silver, J. (2017). Navigating the city: dialectics of everyday urbanism. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 42(3): 458-471.
- Lancione, M. & McFarlane, C. (2016). Life at the urban margins: sanitation infra-making and the potential of experimental comparison. Environment and Planning A 48(12): 2402-2421.
- McFarlane, C. (2016). The Geographies of Urban Density: Topology, Politics and the City. Progress in Human Geography 40(5): 629-648.
- McFarlane, C. & Desai, R. (2015). Sites of entitlement claim, negotiation and struggle in Mumbai. Environment and urbanization 27(2): 441-454.
- Desai, R., McFarlane, C. & Graham, S. (2015). The politics of open defecation: informality, body, and infrastructure in Mumbai. Antipode 47(1): 98-120.
- MacLeod, D.G. & McFarlane, C. (2014). Introduction: Grammars of Urban Injustice. Antipode 46(4): 857-873.
- McFarlane, C, Desai, R. & Graham, S. (2014). Informal Urban Sanitation: Everyday Life, Poverty and Comparison. Annals of the Association of American Geographers 104(5): 989-1011.
- Mizanur, M.R., Atkins, P.J. & McFarlane, C. (2014). 'Factors affecting slum sanitation projects in Dhaka City: learning from the dynamics of social-technological-governance systems'. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development 4(3): 346-358.
- McFarlane, C. (2013). From sanitation inequality to malevolent urbanism: the normalisation of suffering in Mumbai. Geoforum 43(6): 1287-1290.
- Graham, S., McFarlane, C. & Desai, R. (2013). Water wars in Mumbai. Public Culture 25(1_69): 115-141
- Jeffrey, A., McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. (2012). Rethinking enclosure: space, subjectivity, and the commons. Antipode 44(4): 1247-1267.
- Anderson, B., Kearnes, M., McFarlane, C. & Swanton, D. (2012). On assemblages and geography. Dialogues in Human Geography 2(2): 171-189.
- McFarlane, C. (2012). The entrepreneurial slum: civil society, mobility, and the co-production of urban development. Urban Studies 49(13): 2926-2947.
- McFarlane, C. (2012). Rethinking informality: politics, crisis and the city. Planning Theory and Practice 13(1): 89-108.
- McFarlane, C. (2011). The city as assemblage: dwelling and urban space. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 29(4): 649-671.
- McFarlane, C. (2011). The city as a machine for learning. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 36(3): 360-376.
- McFarlane, C. (2011). On context: assemblage, political economy and structure. City 15(3-4): 375-388.
- McFarlane, C. (2011). Encountering, describing and transforming urbanism: concluding reflections on assemblage and urban criticality. City 15(6): 731-739.
- McFarlane, C. (2011). Assemblage and critical urbanism. City 15(2): 204-224.
- Jazeel, T. & McFarlane, C. (2010). The limits of responsibility: a postcolonial politics of academic knowledge production. Transactions of the Institute of British Geographers 35(1): 109-124.
- McFarlane, C. (2010). The Comparative City: Knowledge, Learning, Urbanism. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 34(4): 725-742.
- McFarlane, C. (2009). Translocal assemblages: space, power and social movements. Geoforum 40(4): 561-567.
- McFarlane, C. (2008). Governing the contaminated city: infrastructure and sanitation in colonial and postcolonial Bombay. International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 32(2): 415-435.
- McFarlane, C. (2008). Postcolonial Bombay: decline of a cosmopolitan city? Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 26(3): 480-499. Reprinted with permission in the South Asian Journal for Culture (2010).
- McFarlane, C. (2008). Sanitation in Mumbai's informal settlements: state, 'slum' and infrastructure. Environment and Planning A 40(1): 88-107.
- McFarlane, C. (2008). Urban Shadows: Materiality, the 'Southern city', and Urban Theory. Geography Compass 2(2): 340-358.
- Jeffrey, A., McFarlane, C. & Vasudevan, A. (2008). Guest Editors Introduction: Debating Capital, Spectacle and Modernity. Public Culture 20(3): 531-538.
- Vasudevan, A., McFarlane, C. & Jeffrey, A. (2008). Spaces of Enclosure. Geoforum 39: 1641–1646.
- Jazeel, T. & McFarlane, C. (2007). Responsible Learning: Cultures of Knowledge Production and the North-South Divide. Antipode 39(5): 781-789.
- McFarlane, C. (2006). Crossing Borders: development, learning and the North-South divide. Third World Quarterly 27(8): 1413-1437.
- McFarlane, C. (2006). Knowledge, learning and development: a post-rationalist approach. Progress in Development Studies 6(4): 287-305.
- McFarlane, C. (2006). Transnational development networks: bringing development and postcolonial approaches into dialogue. The Geographical Journal 172(1): 35-49.
- McFarlane, C. (2004). Geographical Imaginations and spaces of political engagement: Examples from the Indian Alliance. Antipode 36(5): 890-916.